Linux Suggestion

Got it to work. At the prompt for a DVD, I simply pointed to the ISO file again and it started.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I might swap Manjaro out for Bazzite this weekend and give it a whirl.

I've been a loyal Arch user for years, however recently I've been reading up on NixOS into to better understand it and it's package manager. I think I will be moving to NixOS in the near future. Very cool distro.

I've been a loyal Arch user for years, however recently I've been reading up on NixOS into to better understand it and it's package manager. I think I will be moving to NixOS in the near future. Very cool distro.
A friend of mine has been using NixOS and having a blast. I think it's actually his main OS now! It does sound quite interesting. I'm gonna have to give that one a look myself.

A friend of mine has been using NixOS and having a blast. I think it's actually his main OS now! It does sound quite interesting. I'm gonna have to give that one a look myself.

So I swapped NVME drives in my laptop and installed Nix. Holy shit...just amazing. I love Arch but man Nix is cool. Learning curve is up there a little bit but now that I've got my head wrapped around how the config file works it's simply awesome.

I'm learning even more about Linux by doing this as well. To get all the functionality working that I need I'm having to do little things. For Arch or Ubuntu or some other distro just installing CUPS will get printing working. The other things are done in the background without your knowledge. In Nix you have to set the avahi-daemon up and get mdns working. I never knew they so integrated. I've never bothered digging that deep because it always just worked. So this is a very cool learning experience.

While there are things like Ansible and you can script an Arch install there's something about the Nix config file that is just simpler and it allows you to duplicate your system immediately elsewhere. You can fine tune for each system. Not to mention NixOS is an immutable OS. I can't wait to throw this on the wife's computer so I no longer have to worry about having shit blowup.

Back