Linux regular client CPU percentage

SmokeRngs

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2008
Okay, I know with the Windows console client you can set the % of the CPU the console can use. I used to use this all the time with my P4 w/ hyperthreading. I would run one client with regular units at 100% and a second client running timeless at around 15% so it wouldn't interfere with the regular client. It netted me a few more PPD and did a bit more science. I stopped that when they dropped the timeless tinkers.

I am wondering if there is something in the config that I'm missing with the Linux client which allows you to do this. I've been through the config several times to make sure I didn't miss it and I don't see it anywhere. I would love to do this because the SMP client only uses around 90% of each core on average on my dual core. I would like to run a regular client using the rest if possible so I can get full load at all times.

I've tried messing with nice priority settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It looks like the regular console client is using anywhere from 20-40% of one of the cores. I do not want to slow down the SMP client at all as this is my priority. Am I missing something or should I just test out with the nice settings a bit more.

I'm getting ready to head to bed so I don't have time to sit around to see how much if any it affects the SMP client frame times. If someone else has done this, I would love to hear about your experiences. My other worry is that once a WU is finished the nice settings will default back to the originals or do the same on a client restart or reboot. If this is the case it would probably be more trouble than it's worth to mess with.

I'd recommend that you just sit tight and let the SMP client alone. It may not be 100% efficient at using both cores all the time, but the gain from running a single-core client, at some fraction of the processor's speed, just isn't worth it.

Have tried to run two on a dual core with FC6-64 and was not able to get it to work, the linux client is enough different that it doesn't like it.

Yeah, I said to hell with it and just setup the WCG client and set the CPU% with it. I already had a PIII 800 running it so it works out well for me. It's just annoying to me that the SMP client doesn't use 100% of both cores and I want full use of everything I have.

Back