Linux Mint 17.2 - How large of a partition do I need?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Rav3n, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Rav3n

Rav3n Gawd

Greetings guys-

I have dabbled with Linux over the years, but I am finally ready to move away from the virtual machines, and dual boot it with Windows 10 for various reasons.

I plan to only use it for general computing, browsing, and simple things. Gaming will be done on the W10 partition. Office work possibly will be done with Libre.

I am storing no media, it is all on a separate server already.

But I have never actually installed it as a dual boot. How big should I make the partition? :confused:

My SSD is 240GB, Win 10 currently is using about 60 gigs. All my games and media are installed on different drives.

2. extide

extide 2[H]4U

Most of my linux machines are console-only, but unless you are doing specific things that are taking up lots of space (like storing lots of videos or something) linux is pretty small, in general a 10GB partition for root is fine for me.

Since you are going to be installing the GUI and GUI apps, I would go for more space, 20-30GB maybe. What you should do is take a ~60GB partition, and make it an LVM container, then you can put some linux volumes in there and grow/shrink them as you please.

3. Rav3n

Rav3n Gawd

It's not that I don't have the space, but since I only intend to ever browse the web on this partition and soley use it as a simple box, I do not want to make it larger than I need to. I expect the Windows partition to grow much larger with time.

I can go with 20-30 GB without issue. I suppose of I needed to adjust the partition sizes later I could. I was just looking for a ballpark number. I appreciate the help.

4. extide

extide 2[H]4U

In that case just go with 20-30GB and do a single root partition and be done with it. You can always mount up your NTFS partitions in linux too, so you can access all that.

5. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

Mint is based on Ubuntu and I read just yesterday that Ubuntu recommends at least 10GB.