Linux Mint 17.2 - How large of a partition do I need?

Rav3n

Gawd
Greetings guys-

I have dabbled with Linux over the years, but I am finally ready to move away from the virtual machines, and dual boot it with Windows 10 for various reasons.

I plan to only use it for general computing, browsing, and simple things. Gaming will be done on the W10 partition. Office work possibly will be done with Libre.

I am storing no media, it is all on a separate server already.

But I have never actually installed it as a dual boot. How big should I make the partition? :confused:

My SSD is 240GB, Win 10 currently is using about 60 gigs. All my games and media are installed on different drives.

Most of my linux machines are console-only, but unless you are doing specific things that are taking up lots of space (like storing lots of videos or something) linux is pretty small, in general a 10GB partition for root is fine for me.

Since you are going to be installing the GUI and GUI apps, I would go for more space, 20-30GB maybe. What you should do is take a ~60GB partition, and make it an LVM container, then you can put some linux volumes in there and grow/shrink them as you please.

It's not that I don't have the space, but since I only intend to ever browse the web on this partition and soley use it as a simple box, I do not want to make it larger than I need to. I expect the Windows partition to grow much larger with time.

I can go with 20-30 GB without issue. I suppose of I needed to adjust the partition sizes later I could. I was just looking for a ballpark number. I appreciate the help.

In that case just go with 20-30GB and do a single root partition and be done with it. You can always mount up your NTFS partitions in linux too, so you can access all that.

Mint is based on Ubuntu and I read just yesterday that Ubuntu recommends at least 10GB.

Back