Linux market share passes 4% for first time

I eagerly await the day when publishers actively start releasing Linux native games so we don't need these PITA steps with Wine or Proton or what ever else there is.

I'm still hoping that one day the Windows Subsystem for Linux will include the DirectX libraries and suddenly this shit all just works. I mean I know I have a better chance of sprouting wings from my ass but they say anything is possible right?

I eagerly await the day when publishers actively start releasing Linux native games so we don't need these PITA steps with Wine or Proton or what ever else there is.

I'm still hoping that one day the Windows Subsystem for Linux will include the DirectX libraries and suddenly this shit all just works. I mean I know I have a better chance of sprouting wings from my ass but they say anything is possible right?
Unfortunately, every Linux-native game I've tried has run worse than the Windows version of the game running through Proton.

Of course it doesn't. But it also doesn't change the fact that Wayland and KDE is buggy meanwhile in Gnome it's not, which is part of the reason why your experience and mine are so different.
Wayland under Gnome isn't without it's own subset of compromises. Furthermore, I'm running a DE that was just released, some issues are to be expected.

Nah fam, wine-staging doesn't work. Wine-devel doesn't work. Winehq-devel doesn't work. Winehq-staging doesn't work.

I'll just have to follow the steps listed by Mazz. Not sure what they changed with libpoppler, but it's causing nothing but issues with wine.
You have to remember, you're running a bleeding edge rolling release KDE DE, hence the libpoppler issue. I assume that because you've come across the libpoppler issue you got apt working under terminal?

Wayland under Gnome isn't without it's own subset of compromises.

You have to remember, you're running a bleeding edge rolling release KDE DE, hence the libpoppler issue. I assume that because you've come across the libpoppler issue you got apt working under terminal?
I'll be honest, I tried apt after this entire fiasco and it just worked. So I must be losing it. Weird.

Still, is there a reason why I can run apt update but I have to run pkcon update instead of apt upgrade?

What could be the purpose of this..

Comments like this one is why Hard needs a frowny face option next to the Like button.
Comments like that are realistic. When every game is literally a console port these days, the term native has become somewhat irrelevant. The fact is: running games via Wine/Proton/DXVK/VKD3D isn't hard and produces better results than many so called Linux native titles that were usually using no more than poor DX wrappers to begin with.

Still, is there a reason why I can run apt update but I have to run pkcon update instead of apt upgrade?

What could be the purpose of this..
KDE Neon is loosely based on Ubuntu LTS. You're running a rolling release DE, so you get KDE updates faster than other distro's. Because KDE is loosely based on Ubuntu LTS and has a faster release schedule, pkcon is used in place of apt when performing system upgrades as it draws from different repo's. Having said that, you'll rarely use it as all upgrades are handled by the GUI via Discover.

Software can still be installed via apt, with the exception of Wine. As stated Bottles is a far better Wine experience, with apps correctly sandboxed to isolate them from the rest of the system. There are provided install scripts under Bottles itself to install popular applications and launchers.

Since discovering Bottles I haven't touched Lutris. The Lutris provided scripts were unreliable at best.

Comments like that are realistic. When every game is literally a console port these days, the term native has become somewhat irrelevant. The fact is: running games via Wine/Proton/DXVK/VKD3D isn't hard and produces better results than many so called Linux native titles that were usually using no more than poor DX wrappers to begin with.
The point is I still want a method of easily registering I agree with what they have said and I am similarly disappointed by it.

KDE Neon is loosely based on Ubuntu LTS. You're running a rolling release DE, so you get KDE updates faster than other distro's. Because KDE is loosely based on Ubuntu LTS and has a faster release schedule, pkcon is used in place of apt when performing system upgrades as it draws from different repo's. Having said that, you'll rarely use it as all upgrades are handled by the GUI via Discover.

Software can still be installed via apt, with the exception of Wine. As stated Bottles is a far better Wine experience, with apps correctly sandboxed to isolate them from the rest of the system. There are provided install scripts under Bottles itself to install popular applications and launchers.

Since discovering Bottles I haven't touched Lutris. The Lutris provided scripts were unreliable at best.
I need to try bottles, but I'm going to reinstall KDE first. I haven't installed much so far but I did a TON of changes to try and get wine to install. I'm not going to try and undo all of that, unless there is a way to reset the Distro without reinstalling?

I need to try bottles, but I'm going to reinstall KDE first. I haven't installed much so far but I did a TON of changes to try and get wine to install. I'm not going to try and undo all of that, unless there is a way to reset the Distro without reinstalling?
Don't follow the instructions on the Wine downloads page to downgrade Libplopper, that's what hosed many KDE installs with the upgrade to KDE 6. Realistically speaking, I can't think of any other situation where you'll encounter problems installing software via apt, although these days I'm trying to 'get with the times' and use Flatpak as much as possible.

If this is a spare system you're experimenting on, breaking things is the best way to learn. ;)

Don't follow the instructions on the Wine downloads page to downgrade Libplopper, that's what hosed many KDE installs with the upgrade to KDE 6. Realistically speaking, I can't think of any other situation where you'll encounter problems installing software via apt, although these days I'm trying to 'get with the times' and use Flatpak as much as possible.

If this is a spare system you're experimenting on, breaking things is the best way to learn. ;)
It's just an external USBC nvme drive that I have 200gb free on for trying Linux ISOs. If I find one I like I'll probably stick to it, but who knows ;)

It's just an external USBC nvme drive that I have 200gb free on for trying Linux ISOs. If I find one I like I'll probably stick to it, but who knows ;)
Also, avoid installing third party themes, users are reporting malicious themes that are wiping home directories. The KDE team have removed the troublesome themes and are currently working on a solution.

I find Breeze with a nice icon pack is quite attractive, and don't really want for problematic third party themes anyway.

Also, avoid installing third party themes, users are reporting malicious themes that are wiping home directories. The KDE team have removed the troublesome themes and are currently working on a solution.

I find Breeze with a nice icon pack is quite attractive, and don't really want for problematic third party themes anyway.
That's shitty. Thankfully you can usually just change the colors a bit and it looks good enough.

Have any icon package suggestions? I stuck with one of the provided 3 themes. Whatever the middle one was, the black one.

I am not that crazy into downloading themes these days.

Have any icon package suggestions? I stuck with one of the provided 3 themes. Whatever the middle one was, the black one.

I am not that crazy into downloading themes these days.
Personally, I like the Papirus icons.

That's shitty. Thankfully you can usually just change the colors a bit and it looks good enough.

I admit, I downloaded a number of themes and tried them (I'm currently back to the Breeze dark theme) - I didn't encounter any issues. However I didn't install the theme in question.

Unfortunately, every Linux-native game I've tried has run worse than the Windows version of the game running through Proton.

The Loki ports were not bad. Myth II and friends. Of course that was in the 1990s...

So, to finish this off once and for all...

on KDE Neon 6 I am unable to install Battle.net. It doesnt matter the way. I have tried Lutris, but that comes with Wine32 problems. Tried bottles and steam as suggested, neither make it past 45% before failing. All give me the same result, essentially that the battle net agent could not update at this time.

KDE looks pretty great, but the only thing I play doesn't seem to want to work. Oh well.

So, to finish this off once and for all...

on KDE Neon 6 I am unable to install Battle.net. It doesnt matter the way. I have tried Lutris, but that comes with Wine32 problems. Tried bottles and steam as suggested, neither make it past 45% before failing. All give me the same result, essentially that the battle net agent could not update at this time.

KDE looks pretty great, but the only thing I play doesn't seem to want to work. Oh well.

Download the latest version of Battlenet and install it as a .exe under Bottles.

Last edited:
I did. It has the same result. I tried it under all suggested configurations here.

EDIT: auntjemima, are you installing using the default Soda-8.0-2 instead of wine-ge-proton? Soda is largely useless in comparison to wine-ge-proton.

On the opening Bottles screen, go to the hamburger icon (three dots) at the top LHS of the window and select preferences. Click the runners tab (down the bottom of the window) and click the Wine GE drop down, click the floppy icon to download wine-ge-proton8-25 and allow it to download and install. Once this is done close the preferences window.

Click the '+' icon to create a new bottle, name it what you like (BattleNet) and click 'Create'. Once the Bottle is created, before running the install script for Battle.net, go to Settings > Runner and make sure wine-ge-proton8-25 is selected. Once you have the correct runner selected click the back arrow on the top RHS of the screen and click 'Install Programs', click the floppy icon beside Blizzard Battle.net and BattleNet should install fine.

Before throwing the towel to the ground, you need to ask for help. People will be more than willing to help if you're polite and respectful. Not saying you haven't been polite and respectful, just sayin' is all...

I'm more than happy to assist where someone actually wants things to work. As I type this I have Battle.net running perfectly via Bottles and I used the exact steps above under the exact same OS.

Last edited:
EDIT: auntjemima, are you installing using the default Soda-8.0-2 instead of wine-ge-proton? Soda is largely useless in comparison to wine-ge-proton.

On the opening Bottles screen, go to the hamburger icon (three dots) at the top LHS of the window and select preferences. Click the runners tab (down the bottom of the window) and click the Wine GE drop down, click the floppy icon to download wine-ge-proton8-25 and allow it to download and install. Once this is done close the preferences window.

Click the '+' icon to create a new bottle, name it what you like (BattleNet) and click 'Create'. Once the Bottle is created, before running the install script for Battle.net, go to Settings > Runner and make sure wine-ge-proton8-25 is selected. Once you have the correct runner selected click the back arrow on the top RHS of the screen and click 'Install Programs', click the floppy icon beside Blizzard Battle.net and BattleNet should install fine.

Before throwing the towel to the ground, you need to ask for help. People will be more than willing to help if you're polite and respectful. Not saying you haven't been polite and respectful, just sayin' is all...

I'm more than happy to assist where someone actually wants things to work. As I type this I have Battle.net running perfectly via Bottles and I used the exact steps above under the exact same OS.
I appreciate the help, I really do. I've already done all of those steps myself. I am a technician by trade and solving problems is something I love doing. Likely why I tried a dozen ways to install it without success.

By default soda is selected, but after trying all these options (game, app, custom), I changed it from soda with no change.

That said, I will try again later today. Currently travelling for business and had to call it a night.

fwiw, a bunch of bugs were fixed in plasma this week, although most were probably unrelated to your wine/proton problems.

Honestly, it's probably just some incompatibility with ubuntu -- they have and continue to do some weird stuff under the hood. That's why I generally prefer the KISS aproach of Arch nowadays -- patches live upstream when possible (backported security patches excepted obv), use only latest stable release (unless there are none), config is left default for most packages (so unexpected incompatibility from misconfig is mostly avoided).

That said, sometimes you do have to transition configiration with new pkg versions, and you do have to watch for breaking updates, but they're pretty rare ime, and if you can chroot in they're easy to fix, especially bc you probably aren't the first to run into the problem.

What gpus do you guys use? Perhaps, Linux will grab a bit more marketshare if the gpu issues get ironed out? Nvidia owners are waiting for explicit sync to be finally introduced/established - I'm on the fence for getting a gpu - some of it or part of the reason is Linux use - I'll dual boot but there's mixed reports/reviews of experience depending on the gpu.
I was going to run it as a primary OS but I'm stuck on W10 until I can figure out my video issues. All HW is working but I can't get DP to output to my main monitor (XB270HU) once it switches video modes from VGA. I'm curious if maybe AMD cards would work, aside from the lack of G-Sync support, but I don't want to spend money on it at the moment.

I appreciate the help, I really do. I've already done all of those steps myself. I am a technician by trade and solving problems is something I love doing. Likely why I tried a dozen ways to install it without success.

By default soda is selected, but after trying all these options (game, app, custom), I changed it from soda with no change.

That said, I will try again later today. Currently travelling for business and had to call it a night.

The only thing left to check is the location of the Bottles directory. If you've changed it from default, installing software will fail if Flatpak permissions aren't set correctly.

Quick heads up to the KDE fans out there.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...e-caution-after-theme-wipes-linux-users-files

KDE advises extreme caution after theme wipes Linux user's files​

I already mentioned this...

I was going to run it as a primary OS but I'm stuck on W10 until I can figure out my video issues. All HW is working but I can't get DP to output to my main monitor (XB270HU) once it switches video modes from VGA. I'm curious if maybe AMD cards would work, aside from the lack of G-Sync support, but I don't want to spend money on it at the moment.

I'm running DP via Nvidia hardware just fine here under KDE Neon. However, when it comes to DP as a standard I've encountered issues with DP connected to certain monitors under Windows - The DP connected monitor was simply invisible to the OS.

Attachments

• Displayport Nvidia.png
    Displayport Nvidia.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The only thing left to check is the location of the Bottles directory, if you've changed it from default installing software will fail if Flatpak permissions aren't set correctly.

I already mentioned this...

I'm running DP via Nvidia hardware just fine here under KDE Neon. However, when it comes to DP as a standard I've encountered issues with DP connected to certain monitors under Windows - The DP connected monitor was simply invisible to the OS.
In my case the screen stops updating, displays nothing, or gives me garbled junk. Another monitor works without issue over DP and another worked alright with HDMI. I'm tempted to check if my iGPU would work but it would be however much to buy a cable I wouldn't use after that.

Last edited:
In my case the screen stops updating, displays nothing, or gives me garbled junk. Other monitors work without issue.

I've got one 27" 4k monitor connected via DP, and the only issue I experience is the monitor takes a long time to sync on reboot, but that's on POST before the OS has even begun booting - It means you can't always see the ASUS ROG splash screen on reboot. Apart from that, my DP experience under Linux is faultless.

What drivers are you running? Are you using some form of switchable graphics? Garbled junk could mean your refresh rate is incorrect.

I've got one 27" 4k monitor connected via DP, and the only issue I experience is the monitor takes a long time to sync on reboot, but that's on POST before the OS has even begun booting - It means you can't always see the ASUS ROG splash screen on reboot. Apart from that, my DP experience under Linux is faultless.

What drivers are you running? Are you using some form of switchable graphics? Garbled junk could mean your refresh rate is incorrect.
X670E Taichi, 7700X, GTX 1080ti. Booting I sit with nothing for a few seconds then "_" and then the Asrock screen. Not sure on specific drivers, I tried with current stable Void, Slack, and Fedora. The monitor reports 2560x1440@60hz in the OSD.

Edit: I could try disabling the iGPU in the BIOS if there's an option for it, I'll have a look sometime tomorrow. I strongly lean to the Acer monitor being the issue seeing as two other monitors worked when tested.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm on AMD and for me Wayland sucks ass. It's ok until I want to run a game. For example, in order to run Lost Epoch I have to input a launch option to run it in an X11 window and then it hard locks the system if I alt-tab. Now I just login under X11 since it always works and it has me questioning returning the 7900XT and grabbing a 4070ti S or 4080S. I figure that by the time Wayland is actually good it will be ok on Nvidia.
:banghead:
Really? Hmm odd. I didn't have to do anything but install it and hit play.;)

View: https://streamable.com/3sp58h

Isn't that overview mode? What happens if you alt+tab to switch between applications?
This is what happens if I alt+tab.

View: https://streamable.com/asi55n
Here's Battlenet. All of this is out of the box behavior I haven't changed or tweaked anything. Just install and go like Windows. I mean for Proton I just made sure it wasn't set to experimental for BattleNet. That was the extent of it. No command line or anything like that.

View: https://streamable.com/ncg2zu

Last edited:
This is what happens if I alt+tab.

View: https://streamable.com/asi55n
Here's Battlenet. All of this is out of the box behavior I haven't changed or tweaked anything. Just install and go like Windows. I mean for Proton I just made sure it wasn't set to experimental for BattleNet. That was the extent of it. No command line or anything like that.

View: https://streamable.com/ncg2zu

Battle.net is simple to install under Proton, but after you've set it up you have to change the 'target' and the 'start in' launch options to point to the launcher under the prefix as opposed to the installer - Otherwise you'll just keep running the installer over and over again every time you open Battle.net under Steam.

This is the case for any software installed via 'add a non steam game'.

Personally, I don't have any problems alt + tabbing any of my games, things work identically to Windows. However I don't run Wayland.

Last edited:
Probably more odd that it's running for you; or they updated it. I had to go ProtonDB to find the info on how to fix it in the first place.
They have videos of it running on Steam Deck. Once I saw that I was pretty sure it was going to work. You also have a pretty non-standard distro so your mileage will vary.

Ehh, Steamdesk runs a custom version of Wayland. And the distro I use is based on Arch and uses the Arch repositories for such things; it's just customized with 'gaming focused' kernel settings, installed apps, and such.

Ehh, Steamdesk runs a custom version of Wayland. And the distro I use is based on Arch and uses the Arch repositories for such things; it's just customized with 'gaming focused' kernel settings, installed apps, and such.
I know. I'm just saying Garuda Linux isn't that old of a distro. It's newer.

The Steamdeck runs X11. It runs Gamescope as a nested compositor under X11.

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Explicit-GPU-Sync-XWayland-Go
"...notably takes care of a number of NVIDIA driver problems on Wayland in the process."

"NVIDIA is also expected to have out a new Linux binary driver release soon for ironing out their Wayland support with explicit sync capabilities."

I wonder if soon I will FINALLY be able to use Wayland on nVidia. I ain't holding my breath though.

Games run slower on Wayland vs X11.
I saw this recently: https://www.phoronix.com/review/kde-plasma-6-amd-gaming
Plasma 6 X11 and Wayland vs GNOME X11 and Wayland.

Back