Linux IQ Test

HardOCP News

[H] News
InfoWorld has posted part two of its Linux IQ Test. To be honest, I did horrible on this test, scoring 10 out of 20. Yay for 50% FAIL!

So you live and breathe Linux, eh? You've aced Linux IQ Test: Round 1 and our Open Source IQ Test to boot. The free OS runs on your phone, your netbook, your desktop, and even your alarm clock. You named your dog Linus and you have Tux wallpaper.

I got a 7. I can never remember the commands. I always use a cheat sheet.

75% and I use it every day :p But not that graphical shit -- terminals only. Who'd want to make Linux look like Windows XP? :) That one I know I missed.

16/20 - 80% :(
I missed:
The question about compare/comm
The question about the log files because I'm used to maintaining my logs via logrotate... the REAL answer to that question.
The Linux XP thing because... well... WTF kind of shitty question is that? Why would anyone want to do such a thing anyway?
The SLES question because I don't use SLES... Why is a "Linux IQ test" asking an distro specific question anyway?

The very first question ALMOST got me, I hesitated because I was thinking "this test is wrong, it's 6!" :p

The question about compare/comm
The question about the log files because I'm used to maintaining my logs via logrotate... the REAL answer to that question.
The Linux XP thing because... well... WTF kind of shitty question is that? Why would anyone want to do such a thing anyway?
The SLES question because I don't use SLES... Why is a "Linux IQ test" asking an distro specific question anyway?

Indeed, I missed:

Correct Answer: Linux XP
Your Answer: LWXP
- This is a stupid pointless question

Correct Answer: rcapache2 status
Your Answer: service httpd status
- I actually run an apache server, but on RHEL so I missed it.

Correct Answer: Alan Cox
Your Answer: Andrew Morton
- This was a guess. Amusing historical trivia though.

Correct Answer: 1
Your Answer: C
- The correct top keypress. I use top occasionally but never any of its fancy features.

Correct Answer: comm
Your Answer: compare
- This was a guess. Normally I use diff, but that solves the opposite issue.

14/20.

Missed
Question 1: What was the last released version of Red Hat Linux?
Correct Answer: 9
Your Answer: 7.3

Question 4: What utility can be used to display common lines in two files?
Correct Answer: comm
Your Answer: compare

Question 8: What is "sed" short for?
Correct Answer: Stream editor
Your Answer: Segment editor

Question 14: What Linux kernel developer stated "All software sucks"?
Correct Answer: Alan Cox
Your Answer: Andrew Morton

Question 19: How do you check on the status of the httpd service on a SLES 10 box?
Correct Answer: rcapache2 status
Your Answer: service httpd status

Question 20: What can be used to make a Linux system look almost exactly like a Windows XP system?
Correct Answer: Linux XP
Your Answer: XP4Lin

Question 21: Will 2011 be the year of Linux on the desktop?
Correct Answer: ROFLMAO get real fanboy!

:)

ahahha

can you tell i admin mainly windows boxes?

You got 5 of 20 correct.
Your score: 25%

umm i use archlinux for my desktop and it works great, hows that pirated copy of windows treating you?

I got 4/20. :(

its ok i haven't touched a linux system since i last installed gentoo way back when.

lawl

Question 22: How much hair have you pulled out dealing with "It should work" and "Try another distro" peer responses to non-trivial questions?
Correct Answer: I cry myself to sleep a lot.

I got 10/20.

You got 9 of 20 correct.
Your score: 45%

Not bad for guessing on all the questions...

11/20, Some interesting trivia in there and a few semi-relevant things. Guess that means I'll have some work remembering things when it comes to update the good old server, though. ;)

9/20 or 45%

The only thing I know about Linux is that it's free and open source.

60%... I basically missed the distro specific questions and options for one or two utilities I've never used before. (top is pretty neat.)

As an aside, I switched from a mITX based Atom box to a hacked Seagate Dockstar because the Atom was overkill for what I was using it for and it makes a better media center. And I see that... even the Dockstar is overkill. Comforting, I guess.

Those of you who got 10/20, you should be ashamed of yourself. My experience of Linux is literally running Ubuntu 8.04 for 2 months. And even I got 10.

You can all feel good about yourself

4 / 20

I also used it for the 1st time today, ubuntu, and it was more helpful than windows was at the time

You can all feel good about yourself

4 / 20

I also used it for the 1st time today, ubuntu, and it was more helpful than windows was at the time

We all gotta start somewhere. Ubuntu 7 was the first time I tried to install a distro to use it for more than a month rather than just to try it out. Didn't last. Started prepping myself for an eventual switch by replacing my apps with more portable (no installer/reinstallation needed to run it) and emulatable in Wine versions. (I refuse to use Vista and won't be using Win7) Ubuntu 8 came around, was pretty impressed with the progression. Ran that on my server. Learned a bit. Personally, it's where they got the most right without going overboard with the hand holding. Ubuntu 9 came around and while it's not bad, was starting to get annoyed with fixing what breaks...

Which is probably the best thing that could have happened. Because of that, I know my way around the command line now.

Ubuntu 10 is a clusterfuck, IMHO. Still using 10 on my Netbook, grudgingly. Will probably do a format and reinstall fresh for 11. So I kept my server at 9 for the longest time and recently switched over to Debian. Only had to format and reinstall once before I had everything how I wanted it.

But above all, google is the new ''man''. Documentation still suffers, but at least we have the ability to search it all online now.

11/20

Knew about comm and sed, didn't get seq or the top question. Got the one about logs and missed the one on /dev labeling.

Clearly need to keep learning..but really, who the heck would want to downgrade by making Linux look like Windows XP? *shudders*

Ubuntu 10 is a clusterfuck, IMHO. Still using 10 on my Netbook, grudgingly. Will probably do a format and reinstall fresh for 11.

Agreed, but I plan to switch probably to pure Debian once the updates stop coming for 10. Shuttleworth can take his Unity and shove it. Ubuntu is getting far too full of itself and has become unwilling to listen to the people who actually use it IMO.

40% its been some years since ive taken a linux/unix class or even used linux/unix

These were some tough questions.

I've been using one version of Linux or another (Red Hat -> Gentoo -> Ubuntu) as my primary desktop OS for 10 years, and I couldn't answer many of them.

The questions were in some cases very specific to software that far from all users use.

Ubuntu 10 is a clusterfuck, IMHO. Still using 10 on my Netbook, grudgingly. Will probably do a format and reinstall fresh for 11. So I kept my server at 9 for the longest time and recently switched over to Debian. Only had to format and reinstall once before I had everything how I wanted it.

I had 10.04 and now have 10.11 on my desktop. Had no problems. 10.04 even detected my wireless adapter and got drivers for it on my laptop!

What don't you like about Ubuntu 10? I think it was a good improvement over 9...

Still running Ubuntu Server 10.04.1 LTS on my server. Seems to be running OK to me.

7/20 - I use Unix. ;)

What’s the difference between rm –rf ./* and rm –rf /*?

e. Why am I running as root? D'oh!

e. Why am I running as root? D'oh!
You have to realize that users *always* blindly approve actions. At least that's the caricature of users that people make around here. And yeah, everyone gets infected by malware too (lol @ fragile egos).

Back