Linux firewall

Manimal29

Limp Gawd
I am hoping that someone can answer a question for me. I would like to know if it is possible to use a linux machine to both act as node on the network AND pull double duty as a firewall appliance for the ENTIRE network? If so, please provide me with the specifics to accomplish this request. Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

by node, do you mean like a server or be used as a workstation? If you want a file/print server type thing + firewall then go look at ClarkConnect. It's like the Linux version of Small Business Server.

You can VMWare a *nix router and a *nix desktop distro. 'Course...performance suffers for the network when you're using your desktop.

how about untangle and their re-router stuff? you would want to put a decent amount of ram in the machine, but that's cheap as chips these days. could be worth a shot?

Wrong, Vito.

Put the router in a VM. Have two (or more) physical network cards, two virtuals on the VM and bridge them and set up routes so that that computer has to go through the router on the VM to get outside.

Don't VM the network node. If they can hack into the host OS then they can hack into the VM anyway.

Wrong, Vito.

Put the router in a VM. Have two (or more) physical network cards, two virtuals on the VM and bridge them and set up routes so that that computer has to go through the router on the VM to get outside.

Don't VM the network node. If they can hack into the host OS then they can hack into the VM anyway.

He didn't ask about using VMs or anything similar. He asked about using a single machine for both. It's a bad idea. Your workaround could negate most of the issues, in theory, but why bother...

He didn't ask about using VMs or anything similar. He asked about using a single machine for both. It's a bad idea. Your workaround could negate most of the issues, in theory, but why bother...

Why bother with virtualization? Saves the cost of buying a PC, saves on your electric bill (our computers add up quick!), saves space

Back