Linux Built/OEM Computers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
Your Dell link doesn't work.

EDIT: Also glad to see System76's prices have gone down for their laptops. I always thought System76 were extremely overpriced for what you get. Now they're only a $100 or so overpriced.

I just wish the Linux-supporting hardware manufacturers made better looking products. System76 is probably one of the best known but I think their laptops are UGLY. I would never buy one. Zareason has some pretty good looking laptops. I understand the idea of supporting companies that promote or support Linux. Still a laptop is a big investment. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I would rather just pick the laptop I really want, from whatever company happens to make it, and install Linux on it when it gets to my house. Even if I did order a laptop with Linux pre-installed there is a pretty good chance I'm going to wipe out whatever they put on there anyway and install exactly what I want. I don't see an option to have it shipped with Gentoo or Arch pre-installed!

Keep in mind for laptops there are no REAL linux OEMs. There are linux resellers.

System 76 makes no laptops, they just get machines from other companies slap linux on it with surprisingly a bigger price tag, sometimes even customized speccs lower than the original windows equivalent of the OEM machine and still a bigger price tag.

Last i checked they where going through Sager for laptops.

Back