Linksys router causing a problem ?

91ZX

Limp Gawd
I have a linksys WRT54G (Wireless Broadband Router with 4 port switch). Ive had this router for around 4-5 years and has never really caused a problem for me until the last two weeks. At first the connection would be very slow and at time could not get connection. I power cycled it and updated the firmware, seemed to work good. Now I can't get connection to the internet at all only to the local network. The cable modem is working fine as I am wired to it right now, the problem is with the router I just have no idea what it could be and am ready to go buy a new one but for what reason? Did it break...what commonly breaks in a router? There are 4 devices on the network two wireless pc's and one wired pc an a xbox360. Anyone with any info it is much appreciated thank you.

Power off cable modem
Give the Linky router a hard factory reset (that little button you use a pin or pen to use)...hold that button down for 10 seconds...you'll see the lights all blink in a pattern. This reset the router to factory defaults...so you'll have to go in and setup your wireless again, change admin password from default, etc.

Plug router into cable modem...with the router powered on. Power up cable modem..allow to synch up with ISP (approx 30 seconds). Power cycle Linksys router.

From a PC that's plugged into the Linksys...once the Linksys is powered up again...release/renew on a PC. See how it runs now.

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm going to try that out and post back with the results...

It could just be the linksys firmware. I find that the linksys firmware (vxworks) to be fairly unstable, so I usually flash the router with a linux firmware called dd-wrt. So you might want to look into dd-wrt, it might be your solution.

Power off cable modem
Give the Linky router a hard factory reset (that little button you use a pin or pen to use)...hold that button down for 10 seconds...you'll see the lights all blink in a pattern. This reset the router to factory defaults...so you'll have to go in and setup your wireless again, change admin password from default, etc.

Plug router into cable modem...with the router powered on. Power up cable modem..allow to synch up with ISP (approx 30 seconds). Power cycle Linksys router.

From a PC that's plugged into the Linksys...once the Linksys is powered up again...release/renew on a PC. See how it runs now.

Followed what you said verbatim and all computers are connected and network is running good thanks for the help fellas.

It could just be the linksys firmware. I find that the linksys firmware (vxworks) to be fairly unstable, so I usually flash the router with a linux firmware called dd-wrt. So you might want to look into dd-wrt, it might be your solution.

He may not have vxWorks. He might have an older Linux model. And if so, Tomato is a better choice.

Back