"Limited connectivity" in Vista after video card install... Asus M2A-VM

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Hi all,

I have a very peculiar situation that I was hoping maybe someone can help me out with.

I have an Asus M2A-VM motherboard which had the 2102 BIOS on it, it also had an XFX GeForce 7600GT vid card. I got a Gigabyte Radeon HD 2600 XT card I wanted to put in so I shut the system down (it ran for about 100 hours), took video card out, put new one on and booted up.

First thing I notice is that there is no network connectivity. The network icon had the two monitors and a yellow tri-angle with the exclamation mark. All other devices on my network (including a wired NAS and a wired computer) work perfectly fine.

I tried updating the drivers - no go
I tried giving it a static IP - no go
I then installed the video card drivers, rebooted - no go
I then reflashed the BIOS to version 2302, rebooted - no go
I then tried system restore to a couple days ago - no go
I then tried flashing the router to a newer firmware - no go.
I then went bananas and reinstalled Windows - no go
I then removed the Radeon card and put in my old GeForce 7600GT - no go

so at this point I am completely stuck of wtf is going on. I've rebooted the system and the router and the modem plenty of times and nothing seems to work. I tried a registry hack that I found online - didn't work either. The router does see the MAC address of the computer and gives it its assigned IP but no matter what I do - nothing seems to help.

Any ideas would be HEAVILY appreciated!!!! I am about ready to swap motherboards by now...

reading comprehension > yuo :p

as per the last item of what i've done - yes i did put the old card in - it didnt do squat

Lol...missed that one ;).

Almost seems like with the card switch, you moved something in the case...minor short or something. Might have to try a PCI NIC to see if that fixes it.

You could also try disabling the NIC in bios, booting into Windows without it, then shutting down and reenabling it. Long shot, but it might work.

Everytime I've had a NIC go like that, it never came back :(.

Lol...missed that one ;).

Almost seems like with the card switch, you moved something in the case...minor short or something. Might have to try a PCI NIC to see if that fixes it.

You could also try disabling the NIC in bios, booting into Windows without it, then shutting down and reenabling it. Long shot, but it might work.

Everytime I've had a NIC go like that, it never came back :(.

I decided I ain't gonna bother with it. Went to Fry's and got me a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-US2H board. Looks mighty sweet... thought about springing extra 10 bux and getting the one with 128 MB sideport memory but... decided against it and instead go the regular version since it'd have a FireGL/MV card on it eventually for some light rendering. The M2A-VM will be replaced at work and then I will use it to build my lady a new comp.

Wish I figured out wtf happened tho...

It could have been a case of ESD. Not sure, though.

Back