Lian Li PC-X500FX

Omerta

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
1,555
Anyone else see this sexy case? It's a mid-tower and over $400, but it is damn nice.

Tyr-PC-X500FX-Chassis-2.jpg


What the hell is Lian Li doing releasing a mid-tower for over $400 anyway? If it was $300, I'd replace my ft02 with it.
 
Checking it out now on their website. I gotta say, this thing has some pretty snazzy features.

I don't think it's worth the $400 price tag though.. Very cool case never the less.
 
It will drop to $300 by the summer. If the X2000F could go for $300 in November, the X500FX will go on sale also.
 
Even though I just got an A77 for $148 I'm still waiting on a V2120 with the V series cheese grater front. :eek:
 
Lian Li has nothing to do with the high price in USD. Blame the poor value of the US dollar (and will continue to get worse so long as our country continues to borrow money from China just to stay afloat).
 
Last edited:
Great case, just not worth it IMO.

Would rather get the LIAN LI PC-V2120 instead. The v2000 has too many issues for me to want it.
 
If the price drops to $300, I may consider replacing my A05 with this. I know, I know...my case has a cult like following and I'm sure I just committed a cardinal sin.
 
Lian Li has nothing to do with the high price in USD. Blame the poor value of the US dollar (and will continue to get worse so long as our country continues to borrow money from China just to stay afloat).

Stop interjecting your political non-sense into threads.

That is not even an accurate statement, well over a majority of US debt is held within the US itself.
 
Lian Li has nothing to do with the high price in USD. Blame the poor value of the US dollar (and will continue to get worse so long as our country continues to borrow money from China just to stay afloat).

Which is why I can buy another Made-In-China case for $30 :rolleyes:
 
Stop interjecting your political non-sense into threads.

That is not even an accurate statement, well over a majority of US debt is held within the US itself.

Realllllyyyyy. US dollar value vs Canada in just the last 2 years....

cdollar.gif
 
Realllllyyyyy. US dollar value vs Canada in just the last 2 years....

cdollar.gif

What's your point? Our dollar has been higher than yours numerous times in the last decade. There was a point a few years back where our dollar was worth about $1.10 USD. It then dropped to ~$0.90. The economy fluctuates.
 
Would you guys stop talking about that bullshit? Shawnoen, the case is overpriced...period. I don't get what the value of the dollar has to do with the case being very overpriced for a mid-tower.
 
Uhhh the X2000 the full tower version of this case and doesn't that cost the same price?
 
It will drop to $300 by the summer. If the X2000F could go for $300 in November, the X500FX will go on sale also.

++ I have the big brother to this case, the x2000f and can give a few comments since the cases are mostly similar:

The x2000f was~$500 last July. By mid-Nov, it went on sale for $299 at newegg as they dumped stock before discontinuing. The x500fx is probably headed for a similar fate because Silverstone's ft02 offers most of the same features for ~$170 less.

The Lian Li is basically an ft02 turned on its side which is pretty kewl because it makes for a small footprint. The 500fx also offers usb 3.0 ports, eSATA, all-aluminum contruction, 6 hdd bays (but no ssd) and 8 PCI expansion slots whereas the ft02 has zero usb 3.0/eSATA, is only partially aluminum, 5 hdd + 1 ssd, and has 7 slots. The ft02 also offers more 5.25" bays. Overall, Lian Li needs to drop the price because once Silverstone adds usb 3.0, there's little reason to buy the Lian Li unless you're like me and are absolutely gung-ho for the Black Monolith of Doom look.
 
I wish there was a version of this case without the side window. Would definitely be interested then. As it is, got my eyes on either the x2000 or the B25S.
 
I wish there was a version of this case without the side window. Would definitely be interested then. As it is, got my eyes on either the x2000 or the B25S.

That would be fantastic. I also wouldn't mind if they just ditched the 5.25" bays altogether.
 
That would be fantastic. I also wouldn't mind if they just ditched the 5.25" bays altogether.

Same here. In fact I would love if they made a version with the entire upper chamber removed to reduce the size of the case even more. The 3 HDD bays down the bottom would be fine for me.
 
No Lian Li case is overpriced. Its high quality and worth every penny.

I didn't even blink an eye when I spent around $400 on my last Lian Li case.

Seriously, people pay that much for a single SSD. Yet they want to complain about a huge piece aluminum that houses your entire system....
 
No Lian Li case is overpriced. Its high quality and worth every penny.

I didn't even blink an eye when I spent around $400 on my last Lian Li case.

Seriously, people pay that much for a single SSD. Yet they want to complain about a huge piece aluminum that houses your entire system....

No Lian Li is overpriced? Wow
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112226
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112272
All of those cases are old, ugly, overpriced trash. The prices on the V2120 cases will continue to drop.

The Corsair 800D 2+ years later is still selling near $300 MSRP with very strong sales numbers.
The Silverstone FT02 continues to sell at MSRP a year later.

Lian Li prices drop faster than any other manufacture in the market. They put retailers like Newegg in a bind by pricing their cases beyond $300, which leaves them with a lot of dead stock. Companies like Newegg and Microcenter are forced to discount the cases up to 50% and discontinue the model. Lian Li has made it OK to price a case for $400-600 and other companies like Silverstone and Thermaltake are following in there footsteps. These companies will soon realize this business model of overpriced cases with not sustain itself.
 
Last edited:
No Lian Li case is overpriced. Its high quality and worth every penny.

I didn't even blink an eye when I spent around $400 on my last Lian Li case.

Seriously, people pay that much for a single SSD. Yet they want to complain about a huge piece aluminum that houses your entire system....

This is nonsense, of course there are overpriced Lian Li cases. EVERY company is forced to constantly reevaluate their product lines in the face of competition. With the average person spending (much) less than $100 on their cases, even enthusiasts are hard-pressed to spend over $200 (no idea what the mental barrier is in countries outside the USA). Clearly, Lian Li understands this because they do offer a number of great cases in the $100-200 range. The only people who spend over ~$300 for a non-rackmount PC case are those who have some burning desire to indulge.
 
How can something be overpriced if they aren't forcing you to buy it?

Don't like the price? Buy something else. Very simple.

Overpriced for one person is another persons bargain.
 
How can something be overpriced if they aren't forcing you to buy it?

Don't like the price? Buy something else. Very simple.

Overpriced for one person is another persons bargain.

Did you think through what you just said before you posted? The fact that you don't like the price and you buy a similar product for less money means that the original product was overpriced in the first place.
 
No it means you cant afford one, bought the other, and found a reason to justify it.
 
I wish there was a version of this case without the side window. Would definitely be interested then. As it is, got my eyes on either the x2000 or the B25S.

The Lian Li PC-X500 doesn't have the side window and is slightly more compact. However does not have some of the features of this case such as the 140cm fans.

As for being overpriced, that's subjective and heavily dependant on your personal situation and priorities.
 
Last edited:
It's very nice looking on the front. But I don't like the fact that it is so tall an not so deep. It seems like it would be hard to work inside of. Also, the optical coming out of one side like that makes the case wider than it need be. Finally, the price is cannot be justified no matter what factors you consider. It should cost under 2 bills.
 
I don't like the fact that it is so tall an not so deep.

The short depth is the main appeal of this design. The way it is short is by not having any drives in front of the mobo area, so you have the same amount of room around the mobo as most other cases. The width is siilar to many tall towers (243 mm). Having the DVD that way (instead of being in front of the mobo) saves depth so overall that position is actually making the case smaller.

This sort of layout has 2 main benefits

1) Small footprint. You get the height and some of the features of a full tower, while taking up less footprint than most mid towers.

2) Having no drive bays in front of the mobo area, the intake fans are blowing straight onto the CPU\video card without any heating up or airflow restrictions from drive bays giving much better cooling.
 
The Lian Li PC-X500 doesn't have the side window and is slightly more compact. However does not have some of the features of this case such as the 140cm fans.

As for being overpriced, that's subjective and heavily dependant on your personal situation and priorities.

Well yes, but that's the old version of the case, and I prefer the design of the updated "F" series.
 
How can something be overpriced if they aren't forcing you to buy it?

Don't like the price? Buy something else. Very simple.

o·ver·price (vr-prs)
tr.v. o·ver·priced, o·ver·pric·ing, o·ver·pric·es
To put too high a price or value on.
englishmofo_doUspeakit.jpg



You can play at semantics, but back here on planet Earth, if two competing products are mostly similar, most customers look to price as the determining factor. In that respect, yes, the x500fx is overpriced and by a good margin. Thus, your earlier statement of "No Lian Li case is overpriced. Its high quality and worth every penny." only applies in a world where Lian Li is the ONLY case manufacturer. You mentioned that you spent $400 on your Lian Li. Great, I spent $500+ on mine and even then was considering a Silverstone ft02 for less than half the money. Price matters.
 
Your comparison would be valid, if the cases would be comparable. But they are not. You compare a case with big height and small footprint with a very deep case. And that is where PC-X series from Lian Li is very unique. I have a small Fractal Design Define R3 case, pushed next to the wall, yet the case still overhangs my desk by ~10cm. In case of PC-X series, it would perfectly fit in. In case of FT02 it would be 20cm hanging out.

I considered PC-X900 but 400e was too much for me to swallow (the German 340e price is OK in my eyes). But that doesn't change the fact that these cases are very unique and that means pricing is justified.
 
You're either happy to pay for a lian li case or you're not.

Different people have different priorities. If you want the top in luxury case design and anodized aluminium finish, and you're also incredibly finicky about how your rooms are designed, then Lian Li is for you. Those people are typically willing to pay a premium for the very best.

If function > price and you want to get the most out of your money then by all means don't get a Lian Li.

I'm afraid I have to laugh at Worldexclusive linking to 'overpriced' Lian Li cases (especially as he is strongl advocating the TJ11). The X900 is the best, sleekest, most gorgeous air cooling case I've ever encountered. I'd pay what I did for it again in a heartbeat. Actually, I'd pay £100 more. 800D? Horrible big black lump of steel with no style whatsoever.

It's all about outlook, and where you find beauty in an object.
 
How can something be overpriced if they aren't forcing you to buy it?

Don't like the price? Buy something else. Very simple.

Overpriced for one person is another persons bargain.

Actually, I agree 100% with this logic. If you like something enough, and are happy to pay the price, then there is nothing wrong with that.

However, with electronics, you'll typically find that if you are among the very few who are willing to pay that high price, then in a few months the price will drop sharply and the product will likely be discontinued soon thereafter. In that sense you will have overpaid. But as long as you felt you got what you wanted and were willing to pay, you did fine.

We rave on about computer cases...but mostly they just sit there. We do want them to offer good cooling, be able to hold our stuff, and be easy to work inside of. Some of us place a higher value on how the case looks, too.
 
Your comparison would be valid, if the cases would be comparable. But they are not. You compare a case with big height and small footprint with a very deep case. And that is where PC-X series from Lian Li is very unique. I have a small Fractal Design Define R3 case, pushed next to the wall, yet the case still overhangs my desk by ~10cm. In case of PC-X series, it would perfectly fit in. In case of FT02 it would be 20cm hanging out.

Interesting. My work space and the way I'm using it allows a deeper case. A higher case would not work. Also, I like to be able to work in the case from its left side....cases that mount the mobo on the left side make this impossible. For these reasons, I bought a RV02 (I do think the FT02 looks better, but I'm already in for more $$ that I had originally planned -- though if I could have gotten the SE version I might have sprung -- there is always something that can induce a person to spend $$)
 
I'm afraid I have to laugh at Worldexclusive linking to 'overpriced' Lian Li cases (especially as he is strongl advocating the TJ11).

If you read the entire post, you will see that I condemn Lian Li and Silverstone for pricing cases beyond $400.
If you read the TJ11 thread you will see that I hate the price of the TJ11. Repeatedly I state the TJ11 should be less than $400.

I like the TJ11's functionality not the price or design.
 
Love it. Lian Li makes some of the nicest, cleanest looking cases. Still not a fan of windows though, but I'm a rare exception.
 
Back
Top