LIAN LI PC-V350 !!!

Great build man! Hows the i5? What was your old specs?

Previously I was using a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, TRUE, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, 2x2048MB G.Skill RAM @ 1088MHz, 5-5-5-15 timings, and a GTX295. This was all in an Antec 900 with medium speed Yate Loons (currently being used in the V351).

What I wanted to do with this build was make a great gaming rig with a smaller physical and thermal/power foot print, which I think I did. My old rig could pull close to 500W from the wall in game; this new one is only pulling 280-290W, which I think is an amazing cut in power. Same with idle as well - idle it uses 108W, my old rig used 175W. The 5870 outshines my GTX295 in regards to a smoother gaming experience, and the i5 is noticeably faster than my Q6600. One thing I did notice is it's tough to push higher clocks with the CPU due to the PCIe component holding the chip back. Prime95 is no longer a reliable stability test because the chip loses stability only once in a 3D environment. At 3.8GHz+, I needed much more voltage not to keep the CPU stable, but the PCIe component. 3.6GHz really seems to be a sweet spot. Coupled with the RAM at 2000MHz, I'm pleased with all aspects of the build. The case is even quieter than my Antec 900 was (mostly due to the lower fan speeds need and closed design), but that's just icing on the cake :).

Previously I was using a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz, TRUE, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, 2x2048MB G.Skill RAM @ 1088MHz, 5-5-5-15 timings, and a GTX295. This was all in an Antec 900 with medium speed Yate Loons (currently being used in the V351).

What I wanted to do with this build was make a great gaming rig with a smaller physical and thermal/power foot print, which I think I did. My old rig could pull close to 500W from the wall in game; this new one is only pulling 280-290W, which I think is an amazing cut in power. Same with idle as well - idle it uses 108W, my old rig used 175W. The 5870 outshines my GTX295 in regards to a smoother gaming experience, and the i5 is noticeably faster than my Q6600. One thing I did notice is it's tough to push higher clocks with the CPU due to the PCIe component holding the chip back. Prime95 is no longer a reliable stability test because the chip loses stability only once in a 3D environment. At 3.8GHz+, I needed much more voltage not to keep the CPU stable, but the PCIe component. 3.6GHz really seems to be a sweet spot. Coupled with the RAM at 2000MHz, I'm pleased with all aspects of the build. The case is even quieter than my Antec 900 was (mostly due to the lower fan speeds need and closed design), but that's just icing on the cake :).
Wow thank you very much! This is exactly what I wanna do but with a 5850 and the asus mobo. Dam that drop in power is nice! Do you think the i7 920 pulls alot more power than the i5? Idk which one I wanna upgrade to! :mad::(:confused:

Wow thank you very much! This is exactly what I wanna do but with a 5850 and the asus mobo. Dam that drop in power is nice! Do you think the i7 920 pulls alot more power than the i5? Idk which one I wanna upgrade to! :mad::(:confused:
I think it does, that's why I went with the i5 :p.

DSC08846.jpg

DSC08848.jpg

small upgrade for my lili

video card to triplex 4850
all fans to fm123

Hey rEVjon

Quick questions for ya, I see that you have your HSF facing the other way ( unlike the "usual" way where the fans faces to the back of the case, you have it facing the side of the case ). First, do you close your case when you are using it? As in do you put the side panels back on the case? Second, does facing the fan to the side of the case increase or decrease the cooling performance?

The reason why I am asking you this is because I want to have my HSF facing the side of the case as well but I do not know if that is a good idea ( like i said, will it decrease the cooling performance ), also I would like to put my side panels back on when I am using it

Thanks,
KeymaN

Hey rEVjon

Quick questions for ya, I see that you have your HSF facing the other way ( unlike the "usual" way where the fans faces to the back of the case, you have it facing the side of the case ). First, do you close your case when you are using it? As in do you put the side panels back on the case? Second, does facing the fan to the side of the case increase or decrease the cooling performance?

The reason why I am asking you this is because I want to have my HSF facing the side of the case as well but I do not know if that is a good idea ( like i said, will it decrease the cooling performance ), also I would like to put my side panels back on when I am using it

Thanks,
KeymaN

1. yes, i close my case when i use it
2. i havent tried removing the fan from my hsf, will test it when i receive my new backplate

did you mod your backplate?

Nope I did not mod my backplate, I am still thinking if I should do it. Will that affect anything?
btw what is the difference between your old and new backplate?

@ rEVjon : nice!
I'm also planning a different heatsink on my cpu and then also for my chipset.
Similar to you set up, Still I'm wandering if the airflow is sufficient with the fan cross from the case flow.
I'm curious about temps, I would opt for blowing towards the sideplate, instead of into the case. Maybe there was no room. You cloud have used slim fans.What heatsink are you using?
Also I like the way you routed the main power line, clean!
I don't like the protruding knobs for the fan controls.

But still a nice case!

@KeymaN

using 120mm fan as exhaust is much better :)
small adjustments for the screws

@kami00

thermalright coolers (HR-01 plus for proc and hr-05 ifx for NB)are great, you should try it, my temps rises when i install my video card, i think it block some airflow from the 2x120mm fans infront, slim fans can fit in the sidepanels.

i want to change it with the new scythe fan controller :)

been a while since ive been to this thread. the projects are all looking great. Looking for some advice. Im working on a build for a friend using the V351B and a Core I5 setup. He wants it as quiet as possible. Im planning on doing a custom backplate with a 120mm fan behind the CPU as shown in some of the previous posts. (Thanks for all who started the idea) 4 or 5 Fans seems like too much for such a small case and probably would get quite loud no matter how quiet they are. Im looking for a passive heatsink suggestion, or opinions if it will work for adequate cooleing. Any suggestions on which heatsink would allow me to do this? I need one that is 1156 socket compatible, or at least offers the correct hardware. Thanks.

*My liquid 351 is in the works. CF is expensive to work with.

i use 4 silverstone fm123, noise doesnt matter for me, you just need a fan controller to adjust the noise

i suggest using thermalright hr-01 plus or megahalems/megashadow if you mod you backplate

i use 4 silverstone fm123, noise doesnt matter for me, you just need a fan controller to adjust the noise

i suggest using thermalright hr-01 plus or megahalems/megashadow if you mod you backplate

Thanks for the input. I am going to use the Mega Rev B. Comes with the hardware for the 1156, mounts the direction I want it to, and the mounting hardware looks to be adequate for the weight. I have other options but this should do the trick, hopefully without the extra fan.

Anyone have any thoughts on a Corsair H50 for an i5 build? With an aftermarket fan it should be about as cool and loud as a standard Noctua setup. Not sure of the benefits but certainly would take up less room than Megahalems Rev B. Just a thought.
h50_main.jpg

Hey guys! Some pics of my current worklog:

Had to push the front fan bracket forward a bid so it would fit a rad, a fan, and my 4870X2.
29092009019.jpg
29092009021.jpg

Now it fits perfect
29092009027.jpg

Front fan bracket fully cut to fit the rads (the right one is missing)
01102009013.jpg

New backplate
12102009003.jpg

12102009005.jpg

Vent holes
12102009006.jpg

12102009007.jpg

New HDD Cage
15102009003i.jpg

15102009006.jpg

15102009007.jpg

Cool thread!;)

Very nice work Shark00n!

Just curious though. What if you need to replace a hdd? Would that mean taking part the case again?

Very nice work Shark00n!

Just curious though. What if you need to replace a hdd? Would that mean taking part the case again?

No, I made 4 holes at the top of the case to screw in the HDD cage (With a silicone membrane between the cage and the case to prevent vibration. If I need to take a HDD off I can just take the whole cage out rather easily.

But I'm also thinking on adapting a latch system. I have one for attaching 120mm fans, it's pretty easy, secure and tool-less, maybe I'll find a way to make it work on the HDD cage and make it even more user friendly. But I don't think it's gonna work... At least I'm not dedicating much time to it because I know that although it being more practical, it would not completely secure the HDD cage. And because I want my case to be robust (It'll be carried frequently to Lan-Parties) I think I'll give up some user friendliness just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
My Gaming PC/main rig. Take with cell phone camera. Fix better image laiter.

25102009114.jpg

25102009115.jpg

25102009116.jpg

25102009120.jpg

pctower.jpg

25102009119.jpg]

25102009124.jpg

CPU: Intel Core 7 D0
HK Evga SLI MCRO X58
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
GFX: Asus 4870x2 2GB
HDD: 1x Intel X25-M 160 GB
Case Lian Li PC-v351

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this thread off and on since I first ran across the Lian Li v350 a couple of years ago. I've learned a lot reading about other peoples' experiences building up their v350/1s and have finally built up my own v351. Very happy with the setup, running quick, cool and stable with a 3.2 OC.

Lian Li PC-V351B
ASUS Rampage II Gene
Intel Core i7 920 D0
Noctua NH-C12P CPU cooler
HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ
G.SKILL F3-Trident DDR3-2000 6GB
Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville
Western Digital Black 750/1000GB
Corsair Professional HX650W 650W
Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120MM x2
Noctua NF-B9-1600 92MM

Cheers,
Rob

Shark00n, Great Job!!!

Would you mind sharing the template for the back plate please? It would be much appreciated :)

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of putting together something with the i7 920 and the DFI Jr T3H6 X58 mobo. I'm not sure what do you with regards to graphics card and cooling. What CPU coolers can I get away with without having to mod the case? Looking at all the mods in this thread, I guess the H50 is out of the question?

For those who have the Noctua NH-C12P cooler, how did you place the fan on the cooler? Blowing down or exhausting into the PSU (blowing up)? Which would be the better option? I currently have mine blowing down, but I'm thinking of flipping the fan and have it blowing the hot air (from the cooler) into the PSU? Good idea or no?

For those who have the Noctua NH-C12P cooler, how did you place the fan on the cooler? Blowing down or exhausting into the PSU (blowing up)? Which would be the better option? I currently have mine blowing down, but I'm thinking of flipping the fan and have it blowing the hot air (from the cooler) into the PSU? Good idea or no?

I've got my NH-C12P on the motherboard with the heat-pipes towards the side-panel & the fan blowing up into the PSU.

Just pulled the HDD bay & moved it into the ROM drive bay, with a 92mm Noctua fan exhausting at the back of the case & I'm seeing around 10c cooler core temps when running Prime 95 over stock, the HDDs are also 5-10c cooler than when they were at the back of the case.

Did a round of testing since moving the HDD bay from the back of the case to the ROM bay. Looks like around 3-4C idle temp drop & 8-10C max temp drop with 92mm fan exhausting freely at the back of the case.

NH-C12P CPU cooler, Arctic MX-3 thin line method
Case sides on, Turbo & SpeedStep on

@ 2.8/1066 8-8-8-20-1T/21C room temp
max core temps Prime 95 heat up test, Real Temp 3.39

@ 3.37/1925 8-8-8-20-1T/21C room temp
max core temps Prime 95 heat up test, Real Temp 3.39

Last edited:
System (v351) is finally here, up and running. Had a small issue with CPU cooler. Turns out that a zipang 2 on my mobo sticks out just a bit to far for the tray to slide in so I had to mount it with the tray inside. Not a big deal but it bugs me.

Still have some hardware tweaking to do, HDD is running just a bit on the warm side for my taste so planning for a better exhaust fan. A common mod as far as I can see here.

And I've got a small question. There are two buttons on the front of the case. The big one lights up blue but the small one doesn't light up AT ALL. Looking around here I see it lighting up red on some cases. What gives? As far as I can tell I've got everything plugged in right, the button (reset) works like it should

And I've got a small question. There are two buttons on the front of the case. The big one lights up blue but the small one doesn't light up AT ALL. Looking around here I see it lighting up red on some cases. What gives? As far as I can tell I've got everything plugged in right, the button (reset) works like it should
It's the HDD activity light. Check that you plugged the wire labeled "HDD" into the corresponding pins on your motherboard.

System (v351) is finally here, up and running. Had a small issue with CPU cooler. Turns out that a zipang 2 on my mobo sticks out just a bit to far for the tray to slide in so I had to mount it with the tray inside. Not a big deal but it bugs me.

Still have some hardware tweaking to do, HDD is running just a bit on the warm side for my taste so planning for a better exhaust fan. A common mod as far as I can see here.

On my mobo I had to reverse the orientation of the hdd indicator light plug to get it to light up, ie when looking at the front panel header on the mobo through the side of the case, text printed on the hdd indicator plug is not visible.

On my mobo I had to reverse the orientation of the hdd indicator light plug to get it to light up, ie when looking at the front panel header on the mobo through the side of the case, text printed on the hdd indicator plug is not visible.

If I remember correctly, LED wires are usually 1 colour and 1 white. The white wire should be plugged into the negative pole.

As far as I can tell I've got the connector on the right pins. White being the negative. But so far nothing. Perhaps if I switch it round, or could that damage the LED? (On the other hand, if it's switched right now the damage has already been done....)

[fastforward]
Okay, just switched them and I now have a red LED flashing up on HDD activity. Thanks you guys!

Back