LGA 3647 Socket

Shintai

Supreme [H]ardness
Big Sockets - The monstrous Intel LGA 3647 socket and package

Broadwell-EP-LGA-2647-Broadwell-DE-package-size-comparison.jpg

Intel-Knights-Landing-Supermicro-Thermal-Solution-No-latch.jpg

I expect these to be out of my price range at home and also at work (especially with the move to Skylake-x) Although I am always interested in new high end technology.

Do Want. Do Want SO BAD. Hopefully the Skylake-E and Skylake-X chips allow BCLK overclocking like the 1150 chips do...

So that's 1636 more pins than LGA 2011. What are they going to do with all of those pins?

What are they doing with all these extra pins? More PCIe Lanes? What does "bifurcation support" mean in this context?

I'm all for this, but I am guessing it also means we will need all new coolers?

I just bought a water block I was hoping would last a while. That was a reasonable expectation since they have more or less been identical forever now, just with different mounting hardware on occasion.

I just bought a water block I was hoping would last a while. That was a reasonable expectation since they have more or less been identical forever now, just with different mounting hardware on occasion.

more like a water brick for this thing.

It will be interesting to see underneath the lid to see how much of that area transfers heat. One of the complaints I've seen about cooling the more recent CPUs is that the area that transfers heat has been getting smaller and smaller, reducing the ability to remove heat no matter how good your block is.

What are they doing with all these extra pins? More PCIe Lanes? What does "bifurcation support" mean in this context?

All the extra pins are for the 50% extra RAM throughput (6 Channels versus 4) as well as PCIE lanes, connectivity, etc.

6ch DDR4, thats like 115GBps bandwidth. That is awesome...

Memory busses are pretty much the last thing still parallel so that's why. We can thank the DRAM cartel for that ;)

Bifurcation means the option to split PCIe lanes. Example:
Configure PCI-Express* Lanes for Simultaneous Applications

You only need new coolers if you buy a 2/4/8 socket systems. LGA2066 will be the HEDT platform and look like it always does as such.

intel-kdm-roadmap-1.jpg

Last edited:
So that's 1636 more pins than LGA 2011. What are they going to do with all of those pins?

Outside of highend servers ? Nothing, don't expect this as a replacement for S2011-3 enthusiast CPU. And for the actual computers which will use this CPU, it will be used probably for better inter-CPU communication, more RAM channels, more PCI-E, stuff like that.

I'm going to like this in a few years when companies start dumping their old hardware and you can get a couple of these for $100... :D Might take 7-9 years, but I can wait...

I'm going to like this in a few years when companies start dumping their old hardware and you can get a couple of these for $100... :D Might take 7-9 years, but I can wait...

Hmm, that is probably the only way I will be able to get my hands on this. I find it interesting that this platform has up to 14 SATA3 ports. I would have expected SAS.

Outside of highend servers ? Nothing, don't expect this as a replacement for S2011-3 enthusiast CPU. And for the actual computers which will use this CPU, it will be used probably for better inter-CPU communication, more RAM channels, more PCI-E, stuff like that.

Right, for the first time in awhile, Intel is creating a super-high-end Xeon-only socket. Cause 4 ram channels is not going to be enough to feed these beasts. With the memory controllers integrated, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

But HEDT platforms should be just fine with quad channel for some time :D

can't wait to hopefully see some nice drop in v3 and v4 cpu. I want to get a replacement for my dual e5-2370 v1 asap ;)

Right, for the first time in awhile, Intel is creating a super-high-end Xeon-only socket. Cause 4 ram channels is not going to be enough to feed these beasts. With the memory controllers integrated, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

But HEDT platforms should be just fine with quad channel for some time :D
Strictly speaking Intel always had a Xeon-only socket since Core 2. Simply, it's the first time mid-range servers will use different socket from enthusiast i7s.

finally something that may be a worthwhill upgarde from my curent setup. hopefully a bunch of es cpus hit ebay and i can buy a cheapish motherboard for it. if not i guess il have to stick with my sr-x for abit longer

Strictly speaking Intel always had a Xeon-only socket since Core 2.

Incorrect.

Intel has had Xeon only sockets since the Pentium II Xeon back in 1998. Though technically it was a slot and not a socket (Slot 2) SECC.

I can't wait for these chips to come out. The large substrate and heat spreader should permit the higher core count chips to finally stretch their legs clock speed-wise. Considering that the Xeon Phi has a 260W TDP, it's not much of a stretch to think we'll see high-end Skylake-EP/EX SKUs with the same TDP.

They plan a 100gbps Omnipath -- Omni-Path fabric is connected to the die via dual PCIe x16 ports -- so that's 164*2=328 pins, http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...product-briefs/server-board-s7200ap-brief.pdf mentions that Omni-Path is available through PCIe so I readily presume this to be the case.

Also three UPI interconnects. Well, we do not know much about UPI yet but one QPI was 25 gbps or so and required 84 pins. If we presume UPI is double speed, double pins then we have another 252 pins down. They go fast, them pins :D

Also, welcome back triple channel, even if it's six channel, when I worked on a Top 100 website in 2010 or so we had 72GB and 144GB database servers and they worked well, I like the 50% extra capacity with the same priced modules. Above a certain size, modules become crazy expensive.

Last edited:
Sorry, bear with me, I'm a little out of the loop.

What is the home enthusiast platform replacement (i.e. the X99 / 2011-v3 replacement)? And when can we expect to see it? I'm understanding correctly, Broadwell-E came out earlier this year (2016).

Sorry, bear with me, I'm a little out of the loop.

What is the home enthusiast platform replacement (i.e. the X99 / 2011-v3 replacement)? And when can we expect to see it? I'm understanding correctly, Broadwell-E came out earlier this year (2016).

See post 10 ;)

Back