LG3 photos rumor

Due to my photography, a quality screen is important to me when showing my photos on the go. Having left Apple's iPhone 5 for the LG G3, I decided to do some testing. So here's what I did.

1) Synced the Canon 60D image to the iPhone 5 via iTunes.
2) Transferred the image to the LG G3 via drag and drop.
3) Opened each phone with the transferred photo and full screened the image. I completed a screenshot on each phone and e-mailed the full size PNG screenshots to my e-mail.
4) In photoshop, I opened the Canon 60D image and each phone's respective screenshot. I then zoomed in to the stick on each image and here's the result.

Resolutions:
Canon 60D Original Image Size: 4863x3153
iPhone 5 Resolution: 1136-by-640
LG G3 Resolution: 1440 x 2560

Uncropped resized image:
fullphoto.jpg

~~~

Canon 60D cropped. zoomed
Canon60D.jpg

LG G3 cropped, zoomed
LG%20G3.jpg

iPhone 5
iPhone5.jpg

~~~

Link with source files here: http://ravaged.gibhut.com/Resolution Compare/Resolution Compare.zip
**Will not contain original sized 60D image. File is large and I don't want to distribute it.

Last edited:
Actually I have seen it. I know what you're talking about. But I only noticed it just once. And for the life of me I can remember what the color pallette was at the time. But yeah I was looking at the screen at a very specific side angle under a very specific light and I did notice what looked like a huge grid of very tiny lines. I haven't noticed it since then. Anyway, all the phones probably have it but honestly, you probably have to look at it under such specific lighting/viewing angles so as to be a non-factor. I'm trying to replicate it but I can't at the moment. But you're not crazy. I swear I've seen what you're talking about.

UPDATE - took my phone back to the AT&T store and thankfully there was a competent SA there who also saw the gridlines I was talking about. compared it to a few other units and noticed immediately that my screen had the grid lines and was also dimmer at 100%. swapped it out and now im as happy as can be. :D

I've been trying the G3 myself for a few days now. My initial thoughts (some of which will echo what others have mentioned):

LG implemented this quad HD screen too soon. It's fine most of the time, but it's hard to see in bright sunlight where the G2 is relatively easy. Also, it's clear that it's over-sharpened when you look at text on some pages. It has what I like to call a "burnt" look, where it's clear the software is trying too hard.

On the other hand, this is exactly how you design a 5.5-inch phone. The G3 doesn't feel like a 5.5-inch phone, even if you can tell that the display is bigger than what you'd get on an HTC One or Galaxy S5.

The camera... well, it's great in the daylight, but it's not the bee's knees in low light. You'd get better results from most of the top flagships (GS5, One, iPhone 5s, Icon). An odd step backwards when the G2 was good in most lighting situations.

The software is definitely an improvement. Some of it is just reshuffling features, but the flatter look and reduced emphasis on gimmicks is appreciated. I'd still prefer HTC Sense or stock Android, but I'm not in a rush to install another launcher, either.

So far, I wouldn't buy the G3 if it were my own cash, but I wouldn't refuse one if it landed it my lap (which it has, in a sense). It just seems like a case of pushing too hard, too soon.

I've been trying the G3 myself for a few days now. My initial thoughts (some of which will echo what others have mentioned):

LG implemented this quad HD screen too soon. It's fine most of the time, but it's hard to see in bright sunlight where the G2 is relatively easy. Also, it's clear that it's over-sharpened when you look at text on some pages. It has what I like to call a "burnt" look, where it's clear the software is trying too hard.

On the other hand, this is exactly how you design a 5.5-inch phone. The G3 doesn't feel like a 5.5-inch phone, even if you can tell that the display is bigger than what you'd get on an HTC One or Galaxy S5.

The camera... well, it's great in the daylight, but it's not the bee's knees in low light. You'd get better results from most of the top flagships (GS5, One, iPhone 5s, Icon). An odd step backwards when the G2 was good in most lighting situations.

The software is definitely an improvement. Some of it is just reshuffling features, but the flatter look and reduced emphasis on gimmicks is appreciated. I'd still prefer HTC Sense or stock Android, but I'm not in a rush to install another launcher, either.

So far, I wouldn't buy the G3 if it were my own cash, but I wouldn't refuse one if it landed it my lap (which it has, in a sense). It just seems like a case of pushing too hard, too soon.

Well the LG G3 is LG's fastest selling smartphone and they just announced record profits of $500 million. I think the early release of qHD displays is doing well for LG.

LG certainly stole a huge portion of market share from Samsung. In South Korea, the LG G3 is selling at a ratio of 10:1 compared to the Galaxy S5.

After feeling the material of the LG G3, this is the polycarbonate companies should use if they are going to use polycarbonate for their phones.

And with the iPhone 6 rumored to not be getting Sapphire displays, people are rushing to buy LG G3s.

Hopefully G3 dev activity picks up....if I get a G3 I need it to have Carbon ROM support. Currently the dev section of the Sprint G3 XDA board is a ghost town.

Almost time for Canucks to get this phone, looking forward to seeing it at the store. Aug 1st I think.

Well the LG G3 is LG's fastest selling smartphone and they just announced record profits of $500 million. I think the early release of qHD displays is doing well for LG.

LG certainly stole a huge portion of market share from Samsung. In South Korea, the LG G3 is selling at a ratio of 10:1 compared to the Galaxy S5.

After feeling the material of the LG G3, this is the polycarbonate companies should use if they are going to use polycarbonate for their phones.

And with the iPhone 6 rumored to not be getting Sapphire displays, people are rushing to buy LG G3s.

Well, I'm not sure if I'd say huge. It's fast-selling in Korea, but I've seen the ETNews source -- it's not clear if this is official info, or just anonymous leaks/rumors (some major Korean news sites have sketchy sources). And Korea isn't really a bellwether for how LG will do worldwide... that's the company's home turf, I would hope that it did well! It's much harder for the company abroad, where many people don't even stop to think that there are choices beyond Apple and Samsung.

I'd add that selling well and designing well aren't necessarily joined at the hip. After all, the GS4 was lambasted for being a conservative update that relied on useless software gimmicks, but it still sold well. The G3 isn't necessarily selling well because of that 2560x1440 screen -- it may be selling well because of its super-efficient design, the trick camera or simply because people are tired of Samsung's software.

Well, I'm not sure if I'd say huge. It's fast-selling in Korea, but I've seen the ETNews source -- it's not clear if this is official info, or just anonymous leaks/rumors (some major Korean news sites have sketchy sources). And Korea isn't really a bellwether for how LG will do worldwide... that's the company's home turf, I would hope that it did well! It's much harder for the company abroad, where many people don't even stop to think that there are choices beyond Apple and Samsung.

I'd add that selling well and designing well aren't necessarily joined at the hip. After all, the GS4 was lambasted for being a conservative update that relied on useless software gimmicks, but it still sold well. The G3 isn't necessarily selling well because of that 2560x1440 screen -- it may be selling well because of its super-efficient design, the trick camera or simply because people are tired of Samsung's software.

I agree with you on most points.

The LG G3 selling well probably has many factors, such as software, the laser camera, 2K display and people getting tired of Samsung's software.

South Korea is a pretty big market for LG though. The Korean smartphone market in terms of OS market share is about 75% Android vs 25% iOS I believe.

Android market share in South Korea is dominated by Samsung, LG and Pantech. Other companies contribute very little.

The G3 isn't necessarily selling well because of that 2560x1440 screen -- it may be selling well because of its super-efficient design, the trick camera or simply because people are tired of Samsung's software.

I would agree with this! Majority of the cell phone users don't really understand what that resolution means other than it must be good or better than the competition. I went with the G3 because I already had the S3 & S4. I also picked up a G2 for my daughter and was shocked how great that phone was. I wanted a change plus the screen size covering most of the phone is fantastic! Extremely happy after 3 weeks of heavy use.

I agree with you on most points.

The LG G3 selling well probably has many factors, such as software, the laser camera, 2K display and people getting tired of Samsung's software.

South Korea is a pretty big market for LG though. The Korean smartphone market in terms of OS market share is about 75% Android vs 25% iOS I believe.

Android market share in South Korea is dominated by Samsung, LG and Pantech. Other companies contribute very little.

Well, Korea has a total population of 50 million, so a huge LG presence is relative; even if it thrives, it's only going to sell so many phones per year. I'm curious to see what happens when Apple releases its larger iPhones and Koreans (which skew disproportionately toward large devices) suddenly don't have to shop from their domestic brands to get a large device. I doubt LG or Samsung will be in crisis mode, but they may face more competitive pressure than they're used to.

I was in Gamestop yesterday picking up my pre-order copy of The Last of Us for Ps4. The store manager looked down at my phone and said, "Hey is that the new G3? How do you like it?" We proceded to have a geek conversation on cell phones. The funny thing is, the manager himself had just picked up a Oneplus one and as most of you know, running into someone on the street with that phone is pretty rare. Anyway, I played with his phone for a minute and I had a few takeaways: 1. the graphite feeling back is awesome 2. Cyanagen mod looks funs 3. holy shit that phone is huge. Bezels for days. It dwarfed the G3 which coincidently has the same size screen. The manager said he liked his phone, just wished it was smaller. :p Anyway, I'm glad I picked up the G3. Size is perfect.

First time playing with the LG G3:

Best Build Material Ever, Period.

It feels 100% like metal but it's polycarbonate. Due to the polycarbonate, it's extremely light, the display is virtually bezel-less. Love the design.

Saw it a few days ago, looks great. The screen is nice very easy on the eyes something smooth about the colours. Also extremely sharp, impressive. Wonder how long the battery lasts. It felt a little warm as well.

Back