LG W3000H & 4870 x2 problems

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for quite some time. I recently purchased an LG W3000H-BN 30" monitor and would like your feedback.

First of all i'm returning it, whether i'll pick up another one i don't know. It has 2 stuck pixels and a little bit of backlight bleed at the top. The panel also can be moved a bit at the top, like there is a little bit of wiggle room back and forth which i found odd.

The other main problem with it is that light shades of color, like the gray on the lg website appear as if there is static or snow on it and it is constantly moving like a little fuzzy swarm.

Is this a trait of S-IPS monitors? Another gentleman with the same monitor and 4870 x2 thinks it is a driver issue with the 4870 cards and the DVI cable as posted on AMD's forum.

I've got a few more days to return this monitor without hassle and get a refund or exchange. The funny thing is the guy at where i bought it says they aren't getting anymore in, they have 1 left. This is because it's getting a new panel... I said HUH?! And he tried to backpedal from there... So i'm not sure if a newer version of this is coming out soon or not.

I must say that it is a very nice monitor otherwise, gaming is great and the 2 stuck pixels are pretty hard to find even when you are looking for them. There is barely any banding either.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

A new panel hmmmm.....interesting... I wonder if any of the other moitors are getting a 'new' panel!!

Only the wiggly panel is a trait of S-IPS. It's to give the panel expansion room within the structure.

The other characteristics don't sound typical. I'd return it.

Hopefully IF it's a new panel it's going to address a number of user/vendor complaints to them.

Thanks for your replies.

Can any 4870 x2 owners with 30" panels chime in?

Do you experience the snowy moving light colour shades? The other guy experiencing it said he didn't see it when he was using his nvidia card.

Well i managed to fix the snow somewhat through fiddling with the colour in the CCC, perhaps it is an AMD/ATI issue.

I have since returned the monitor and am now returning the 3rd one i got... They got gradually worse. The second one had 8 dead pixels and this 3rd one has over 10 stuck pixels. Second one had good backlight and banding.. third not so good backlight. Banding overall has been good.

I purchased these through FS in Canada and a different sales person said they have 40 in stock at the warehouse. Adding to what the previous salesman said about BB carrying a 'newer panel' i'm guessing that FS is selling out of the stock it has and BB is picking up the new panels. BB just started listing them on their site.

The ones i have been getting are made in Korea, i could look for more information if anyone is interested.

I guess i'll be returning this last one and seeing how the BB ones are.

I'm not giving up on it, if it i can find one that doesn't have so many flaws i'd keep it. Still a very nice monitor.

Oh and the last odd thing is that BB's price is $200 more than FS... not sure what to think of that.

Sounds like par for the course on 30" IPS panels. IMO they generally crap. Some people are just better at tolerating crap.

I would not put much stock in some random Best Buy floor staff being an accurate source of knowledge about new panels.

The LG W3000H already has the latest available 30 inch IPS and it sucks just as much as all the other 30" ips panels. I imagine it will be at least a year before another 30" IPS panel makes it to market. Unless something changes drastically in the LG design and manufacturing process, it will likely suck just as much as current ones.

I had the same problem with the LG W3000H-BN. The fist two had major problems and alot of stuck pixels, but my 3rd one was a definite keeper. No dead/stuck pixels, good uniformity, and the back/lighting bleeding is almost gone after 3 weeks of using it 12 hours a day.

After a good calibration with my i1 Pro, this scren is a keeper, and surprisingly good.

I'm using it with a 4870x2 and I don't have any shimmering in the grey/white areas with 8.10.

I have EXACTLY the same sparkly snow issue with my W3000H + 4870X2. Sometimes randomly it will be gone but it is usually there. Did not occur with my Crossfired 3870s and doesn’t seem to show up with the 4870X2 if no driver is installed.

Your snow problem might also be due to your VGA cable(if you are using VGA). If you are using the cheap VGA cable supplied with the monitor you would definitely want to pick up a better cable like THIS ONE from Monoprice. I had the same problem with my PC but I also had a strange bright blue lines showing up between different colors(bleeding?) and the new cable fixed up both of my problems.

If you are using a DVI cable it is like you said an adjustment or driver problem with your tv or monitor.

Hope this helps.

Actually the guy in the AMD forums tried a new cable, i think we are all using the DVI cables, and it had no impact.

I found just by setting the brightness to -25 in the CCC Color Adjustments section the snow effect disappeared.

Ya i'm not going to put much stock into a FS floor salesman but when he tells me that they aren't going to be carrying them anymore and that BB will have a different panel i'll take my chances with BB. I actually don't have much of a choice, only other thing i could do is order it from NCIX and that would be a lot harder to return...

When it comes to a purchase like this, and with S-IPS monitors being as you say, it sure is nice to have a company with a return policy like FS and BB to shop at.

I too have the snow effect. Per the previous poster I found setting my brightness to +4 remedied the problem. Had to RMA my w3000h though, too much backlight bleed. Hopefully whatever I get back will be better.

I've got a 4870x2 and a 30 inch DS-305W and I have not had any snow effects on greys nor anywhere else, nor any green pixel popping like I once saw on a 3007wfp-hc.

Back