LG L246W

So how do they compare with your setup?

Black levels are definitely better on the Samsung, but the viewing angle is pretty crummy anywhere except for dead on. Vertical viewing angle is extremely narrow; horizontal viewing angle is better, but has noticeable color shift as you move from side to side.

There is a reason why the LG is my main monitor and the Samsung is a secondary work monitor :) It works great for that purpose.

I just purchased mine today at Best Buy. Was contemplating getting the Benq but could not pass up the price. I will have to see how it performs playing COD4.

Anyone know where to find the attachable soundbar?
I don't think it exists. I was never able to find it so I emailed LG directly about it and the response I got said
We appreciate your interest in this monitor. The speaker bar for this unit should already be available through the dealer. They may have to place a special order for this speaker bar. We do not have this accessory available in our parts department.
Of course, this is complete BS, I had already asked about it in a couple of retail stores and they didn't know anything about it. Since LG's own customer service doesn't seem to have any info on it I just gave up. This was a few months ago, though, so maybe things have changed since then, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nothing comes through google either. No mention on their site too. There is definately supposed to be one. I can see the attachment points and the DC out port.

Nothing comes through google either. No mention on their site too. There is definately supposed to be one. I can see the attachment points and the DC out port.
The manual mentions a L246WPM model which was supposed to come with the speaker bar, but I don't think this was ever produced. It's possible they designed the monitor to support a speaker bar and then later canceled it because of a lack of interest or something similar.

That seems to be the most likely answer. It's a shame to design the monitor to support the attachment, but not make the attachment.

Thanks for the Best Buy pricing. I picked one up. This monitor was definitely worth $450. It has a great screen with no viewing angle issues. I have an old computer but have on order a new one with a 8800GT video card so I should be playing with nice fps in the highest resolution on this monitor shortly.

Hi,
I have read through (most) of the thread but I am still not totally understanding of a couple of things.

1) Will the LG properly display 1080P with a HD/BD DVD player with no problems through HDMI? How about a regular upscaling DVD player?

2) Will the LG properly display 1080P through a playstation3 (blue ray movies) through HDMI?

3) Will the LG properly display 1080P if I use a PC internal LG HD player?

How many of you besides the fellow who wrote the "LG/Gateway review" of Gateway 2400 versus this LG compared the LG to a Gateway 2400 and chose the LG instead?

Thanks!

I just picked this up at Best Buy yesterday and WOW is this thing great! Upgraded from a Sony SDM-HS75/B 17". I always have a hard time calibrating and have no calibration device, so could someone upload a good icc profile for me to start with? Thanks

I just picked this up at Best Buy yesterday and WOW is this thing great! Upgraded from a Sony SDM-HS75/B 17". I always have a hard time calibrating and have no calibration device, so could someone upload a good icc profile for me to start with? Thanks

What settings did you settle with on the monitor? I am using these:

Bright: 62
Contrast: 100
RGB: 100 All

Anyone find something that looks more amazing?

Does anyone know an online place to order a rev 2.0 (Manufactured on or after Oct, 2007) LG 246wp-bn monitor?
Found one at CC that was 703. LG WILL NOT update the firmware.
I wonder if a BB online order will be newly manufactured units as they list "backordered" on their website???

Well everyone has already told me to use sRGB (in this thread) so I'll stick with it.
The monitor is crushing blacks enough as it is.
:(

Just got my 24 L246W today. I used the HDMI/DVI cable and am using the sRGB mode. My options available for the Brightness is adjustable to whatever you want it to be.

I just got this monitor, OMG this thing is amazing!!!!!!! anyway i have an april 2007 build with 704 revision i think.............is this a good model????

I just checked mine and I also have the april 2007 build with 704 revision. Great monitor and runs COD4 with no problems. I am contemplating getting a new 512MB 8800GT card soon.

Has any of the newer builds fixed the overscan issue with the PS3?

I'd pick this monitor up in a heartbeat if it displayed my PS3 correct :|

I sent an inquiry to LG customer service asking if they have a revision yet for this monitor that addresses the overscan issues. Here is their response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics concerning your computer-related inquiry.

As of yet there are no updates or revisions; please try again in a month or two.

For assistance with your computer-related inquiry, please call our Computer Support Department at 1-800-243-0000 or 256-772-1515. Please make sure your computer is accessible when you call in order for our technicians to assist you in troubleshooting.

Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics

I sent an inquiry to LG customer service asking if they have a revision yet for this monitor that addresses the overscan issues. Here is their response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics concerning your computer-related inquiry.

As of yet there are no updates or revisions; please try again in a month or two.

For assistance with your computer-related inquiry, please call our Computer Support Department at 1-800-243-0000 or 256-772-1515. Please make sure your computer is accessible when you call in order for our technicians to assist you in troubleshooting.

Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics

Shucks. Hope that new revision comes out soon D: Can't wait to buy this monitor :|

I'm on my second LG L246WP-BN, replacing a Gateway FHD2400 whose severe viewing angle problems were more than I could accept.

I returned the first LG because of a bright green pixel. It was serial number 704 something.

The exchange I got last night is serial number 702 something, and it was manufactured in February 2007; it must have sat at Best Buy for a long time!!!

So ... what issues do the early serial numbers have that I need to be aware of? Sometimes, as with Dell (or so I've read), the early monitors have better LCD panels than later ones, so sometimes it pays to get an early manufacture of a model. But I read somewhere here that LG serial numbers before 705 and/or September 2007 might be problematic.

Also, is LG planning on manufacturing a new 24" monitor in the next month or few? If so, maybe I should take this back and wait for the 2008 model. My more important concern now, though, is re: the low serial number.

Can anyone tell me what a 702xxxx serial number might have problems with? Thanks!!

i just got a 702 serial and there's nothing wrong with it. no dead pixels no backlighting problems nothing.

don't know why you guys are always so worried. It's not like it's possible for every possible LCD on a line to be defective. Their quality control people would be fired.

Mine was doing fine, until just this evening, and now when I do 1920 x 1200, I get a "shimmering"/rippling effect all over the screen. I don't know how to fix it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled my display and adapter drivers, I reinstalled the newest driver for my ATI Radeon 300, which I had successfully been using until this evening, the "shimmering" does NOT occur on my CRT 17" monitor, just this one, and just at 1920 x 1200, not the 1024 x 768 it booted up in after switching from my 1024 x 768 CRT monitor before changing the optimal resolution for the LG to 1920 x 1200. Weird. I guess I'll call Best Buy and ask the "Geeks" what's going on....

Eventually I looked at the ATI Catalyst driver control panel, and clicked on the Composite Sync box, and voila! the problem was fixed. The Monitor has a CSM setting, but I didn't know what it meant - the manual doesn't say. For some reason, the problem didn't occur before, even though I don't think I had "Composite Sync" checked. I guess you learn something new every day.

I ended up picking up this monitor yesterday after returning the gateway for having more backlight bleed than I wanted to see (and it was growing by the day). I'm a little disappointed with the layout of the monitor. The gateway's menu was much easier to navigate and was a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I do also miss the glossy finish as well as all the inputs it had.

However, this monitor's colors are a bit more distinctive. Changing the contrast and brightness using nvidia's color correction tool actually made a difference. It was noticeable each notch.

i've noticed a tad bit of input lag, but it's liveable. I think I'll be keeping this monitor for a while.

I also just picked this monitor up this week. Comparing it to my dell1907 is impossible as this thing just kills the dell in every way. The input lag is very slight and the colors are much better than any TN panel.

Controls are a bit strange but how often do you plan on changing the settings?

well, i'm changing inputs... between HDMI and VGA. HDMI > DVI for my pc and VGA for my 360. as soon as I get an HD receiver, I'll hook that up too.

Has any of the newer builds fixed the overscan issue with the PS3?

I'd pick this monitor up in a heartbeat if it displayed my PS3 correct :|

I had been using this for my PC but just converted it to a TV and I hooked up my roomates PS3 and my Xbox360 and they all looked fine. I think I may have posted by build date earlier in this thread. I think I got the monitor towards the end of August/Early September, if thats any help/

I had been using this for my PC but just converted it to a TV and I hooked up my roomates PS3 and my Xbox360 and they all looked fine. I think I may have posted by build date earlier in this thread. I think I got the monitor towards the end of August/Early September, if thats any help/

You sure the edges of the PS3 image wasn't cropped off? Earlier in this thread I think someone show what it should be like when it's 1:1 but it actually turns out the LG is cropping the image on all sides :\

You sure the edges of the PS3 image wasn't cropped off? Earlier in this thread I think someone show what it should be like when it's 1:1 but it actually turns out the LG is cropping the image on all sides :\
Does the PS3 output a resolution higher than 1920x1080? If not, I can't imagine why overscan would be an issue.

I don't know why it would be an issue, but I can attest that the edges of the image are cut of a little with the PS3 at 1080p. It is not too bad (unless you want to use the web browser or somthing), but it is there.

The overscan is very slight, you can't even notice it unless you run something like the web browser where it has text on the extreme edges.

Hey guys! I've just setup my new LG245WP-BN (same as LG246WP, but for online retailers, or so I've heard) and I can confirm I have a newer production date - November 2007! That's right...I don't know if I was lucky with my unit, but all I can say is that most experienced problems I've read on this thread aren't present in this unit. The monitor was pre-calibrated at 6500K, with 100 brightness and 100 contrast (I had to lower brightness to 62, otherwise I would get blind!) and no dead pixels.

The monitor itself feels "bulk", when looking from the back, but the stand base is pretty slick, so you get a very nice front look. This isn't a problem for most of you, but my desk setup is wide open so both faces of the monitor are constantly seen.

Other than the possible problems correction is the exclusion of the DVI<->HDMI adapter. It comes with a new DVI<->HDMI cable without any adapter (I'm not sure if it was like that on previous units, but I think they used an adapter).

Just a quick note: the AC cord is really small (i'd say less then 1.5m). Is there any problem using an AC cord from a normal computer PSU?

Any questions you may want to ask me about this unit? I don't know where to check the revision number, it's not straightforward on the back information, at least for me..

Merry Christmas everyone!

Back