LG L246W

Thanks.
I checked, and DDC CI is on.
So I'm still puzzled.
Got an email response from LG to call them; maybe they can help with the "EZ Video" disabled thing, but since they don't support fortemanager w/ this monitor, guess they won't help there.

I've had this monitor for a few days now, but I may be taking it back.

My primary use is FPS games like CSS, but I also use it for web surfing, photo editing, etc. I initially bought it because it appears to have lower input lag than the Dell or BenQ 24s, and indeed it looks, feels, and plays great in games.

However, I believe Roach is right about the text. In native resolution (1920 x 1200), the black-text-on-white-background looks a little fuzzy. It's not profound--you may not even notice if you have nothing to compare it to, but I hooked up a Dell 19" LCD and a Samsung 244T to the same computer. Both of those LCDs display crisp black text. The LG246 has a little bit of smear to it--subtle but definitely noticeable. Maybe it's the coating as Roach hypothesized.

I'm really pi**ed--everything else is great about this monitor, but the not-perfect text is probably a show-stopper for me. (Yes, I have the latest drivers--running a GeForce 8800GTS with Forceware 162.28 drivers.) Oh well...

Damn... The text on this thing is some of the crispest ive seen. makes reading sites/docs so much easier... BEFORE I updated my drivers the text looked like shit.. so not really sure whats going on with some of your video cards..

People have mentioned changing the DPI and also messing with the "ClearType" settings... try that maybe?

I've had this monitor for a few days now, but I may be taking it back.

My primary use is FPS games like CSS, but I also use it for web surfing, photo editing, etc. I initially bought it because it appears to have lower input lag than the Dell or BenQ 24s, and indeed it looks, feels, and plays great in games.

However, I believe Roach is right about the text. In native resolution (1920 x 1200), the black-text-on-white-background looks a little fuzzy. It's not profound--you may not even notice if you have nothing to compare it to, but I hooked up a Dell 19" LCD and a Samsung 244T to the same computer. Both of those LCDs display crisp black text. The LG246 has a little bit of smear to it--subtle but definitely noticeable. Maybe it's the coating as Roach hypothesized.

I'm really pi**ed--everything else is great about this monitor, but the not-perfect text is probably a show-stopper for me. (Yes, I have the latest drivers--running a GeForce 8800GTS with Forceware 162.28 drivers.) Oh well...
t

this truly points to some sort of incompatibility. would be good to see who has what gfx card and what driver version going to the display.

I just got mine two days ago it's nice, but.... I don't know why but I don't have the 1:1 option available. It's connected via DVI-HDMI. I see the 1:1 option, but I can't select it. I have an old X1300 don't know if that the problem. This is also my first LCD monitor, I was a CRT man for a long time and it seem like when I play DVD's it doesn't look so sharp when I'm at my desk I need to move back a bit. Is this normal or should it be sharp?

And curious, this IS available at Best Buy?

Cause I wanna be able to return it for a full refund if I'm not happy with it (which I doubt though, I just want the comfort of knowing I could :p )

Just bought this at my local Best buy today (it was the last one unless they had more in back). Loving it so far. Don't see any text blurring at all, even if I stick my face 2 inches from the screen and look cross-eyed at it, very sharp. Now I'm coming from the CRT world so maybe I just haven't looked at other LCD's enough, who knows. I can usually spot things others can't in the CRT world (like the difference between 85Hz and 100Hz, night and day for me).

Very satisfied with it so far. The reds were set WAY too high out of the box, but a little bit of tweaking of the colors got it 'close' to the colors i'm used to anyways (anyone figure out what the best RGB values are for this? I know all panels are different, but I'm sure they are close enough I could tweak them to where I like it...) I run 74/88/88 for r/g/b respectively, what about brightness/contrast? No dead pixels, backlight bleed isn't anything to complain about.

The text on mine is very sharp. I think this is a fantabulous monitor!!:D I'm lovin the hell out of mine.

To whoever said PS3 Motorstorm looked grainy on this monitor..

For some reason it was defaulting to 480p when I played it.. I had to uncheck 1080p and i and just leave 720p to get it to look right..

That was me who comment about motorstorm. I'll check it next time I fire up the PS3. Thanks.

I just bought this monitor 3 days ago after debating to get the benQ. I did two things that brought my picture up to speed, number one I set the quality on my picture to very high under video card settings, i have a 8800GTX, and then I adjust my contrast and brightness for the monitor, i lowered the red level slightly, other than that the picture looks great especially the text, and I already tried the 245bw from samsung, if you want to talk about a smeared uneven picture that monitor has horrible viewing angles, even if you sitting straight in front of it.

I've noticed people have had to update their video card drivers if they have ATI cards, and not just for this monitor, but for the BenQ too as well as a couple of others, just my 2 cents.

...that monitor has horrible viewing angles, even if you sitting straight in front of it...

somehow i find that hilarious. imagine a monitor with no good viewing angles. like an s-ips from hell or something. i think i need a nap.

about the LG. what i did notice when i had one was that when u look at it straight on. the color at the corners seemed dull. it seemed as if there was no good angle for the entire screen. i had never experience this before, probably due to the size of the screen.

Can someone with a PS3 do me a favor? Open up the web browser and see if it is cropping the left side of the screen? You will see on the upper left hand side a "WWW" icon and mine is getting cut off slightly. I cant be sure if its just some games/apps or the whole time because its not enough to really notice in most cases. Want to make sure its not just my monitor either.

Also, when you adjust the DPI in Windows XP, that setting is only for Windows and doesn't affect the PS3 right?

Can someone with a PS3 do me a favor? Open up the web browser and see if it is cropping the left side of the screen? You will see on the upper left hand side a "WWW" icon and mine is getting cut off slightly. I cant be sure if its just some games/apps or the whole time because its not enough to really notice in most cases. Want to make sure its not just my monitor either.
If you leave HDMI on "PC" mode there will be noticeable cropping on the left side. If you put it in "Video" mode then there will only be minor cropping on both sides.

Also, when you adjust the DPI in Windows XP, that setting is only for Windows and doesn't affect the PS3 right?
Correct.

I just bought a L246WP from CompUSA.

I cannot access the EZ Video option in the menu, nor can I get ForteManager to work (it will show me all the info about the monitor, but all of the adjustment options are grayed out).

I've seen mentions about this in this thread, but no advice as to resolution.

Can anyone help me out here?
I would greatly appreciate it.

the LG246 was not compatible with forte manager, doesnt come with it, Ive heard another user has used this software though I am uncertain which version, perhaps for the 22 inch panel?

I too cannot access the EZ VIDEO functions and can only assume this is the result of some other setting that I am using or perhaps becuase I am using HDMI?? Anyone shed some light on this? I am using the SRGB setting and that works great for me.

Damn... The text on this thing is some of the crispest ive seen. makes reading sites/docs so much easier... BEFORE I updated my drivers the text looked like shit.. so not really sure whats going on with some of your video cards..

People have mentioned changing the DPI and also messing with the "ClearType" settings... try that maybe?

Or maybe the one or two who feel the text is blurry are using Clear type??? I played around with clear type and I have to say clear type does nothing for this LG panel, I didnt like it at all yet I do like clear type on other lcds though mainly on laptop lcd's.

Hi guys, I'm a new member and I've had the LG for a little over a month now. In my opinion, it's a great monitor for the price (I got mine for $600). The image quality is nice and crisp. The text is very clear, black levels are not crushed, and input lag is decently low. I do have a few problems though - 1. The base stand would not attach to the monitor perfectly (the screw was not aligned) 2. You do have to wait a few seconds for the picture from the source to come on after turning the monitor on 3. When you are using your pc through the hdmi-dvi converter and has it in video mode, the monitor will go to power-saving mode when your pc is inactive and won't come back on.

My set-up right now is 360 through vga, ps3 through hdmi, and pc through hdmi-dvi converter. I purchased a manual 2x hdmi switcher so I could use both my ps3 and pc through hdmi. I am not a expert on this monitor but I hope these suggestions will help some people - 1. If you experience the same problem I have with the monitor going into a power-saving mode and not coming back on when you're using your pc through hdmi-dvi converter, I suggest that you change the mode from the main menu listed under hdmi to pc and it should be fine. I've only noticed this problem on video mode. But if you don't want to change it to pc mode, you can try taking the hdmi-dvi converter cable off and plugging it back in or you can try to change to another input and change it back to hdmi. 2. If you're using hdmi for ps3 or pc, I found that using dynamic with normal color temp works nicely for me. If you're using VGA for xbox 360, try changing the contrast to around 70-80 and brightness to around 50-60. Ps3 looks best used with hdmi in video mode. Pc looks best used in hdmi in pc mode. Xbox 360 (don't know about elite) looks best used in vga. 1:1 scaling option is available for xbxo 360 and ps3 in the main menu under arc.

For pc users who are asking about text suggestions, this is what I use - 120 DPI, cleatype, and larger or largest text size in internet explorer. If you use the internet browser on your ps3 and have problems with cropping, let me know. I'm at work right now but I can tell you what to do when I get home since I don't remember on the top of my head. For people asking about EZ Video, you can't use it in hdmi pc mode and vga. I think I've rambled on for too long now so I'm gonna end this lol. You guys take care and I look forward to being involved in this online community.

I've noticed that getting out of power saving mode is sporadic. Sometimes, when I use the keyboard instead of the mouse, the screen will come back on. Other times, I have to turn the screen off and back on again to get it to display an image.

Having it in PC mode and switching inputs does not really help.

I did notice that when I toggled my crossfire dongle recently, it seemed to alleviate this issue for a small time, but it is still sporadic.

I have never had the problem when I use the pc mode. It always comes back on but the video mode is like you said, sporadic. Sometimes all I have to do is move the mouse and it comes back on and sometimes nothing works so I end up having to restart my comp.

Has anyone played Guitar Hero 2 for 360 on this monitor? How was the experience, any lag?

Reason I ask cause my HDTV is screwed up with lag. On Guitar Hero 2, it's unplayable as the lag delays the notes from the music, making it absolutely impossible to keep rhythm.

Just picked up the LG 246W today at BB. I spent about a week going back and forth between a 1080/720pLCD TV for $1300-600 and a couple of days crying over how the 37w3 is impossible to find. Also drooled over the Benq but slapped myself in the face because of the price difference, I finally gave up at BestBuy and bit the bullet once I realized this monitor did HDMI and had Component Input. I also just ordered the HDMI monoprice switch so hopefully I can use ps3/PC simultaneously. So far I'm very impressed, just a tiny bit sad I still have yet to buy my first HDTV... quite a step up from the 2007wfp, viewing angles aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would.

Few questions:

1) Is VGA better than Component for xbox 360? My picture seems a little washed out when using either of these inputs with the 360... need some adjustment tips!

2) I read previously some owners had issues with the monoprice HDMI switch and using their PC after a switch... It sounded like an ATi driver issue but does it affect my 8800GTS equally?

I finally gave up at BestBuy and bit the bullet once I realized this monitor did HDMI and had Component Input. I also just ordered the HDMI monoprice switch so hopefully I can use ps3/PC simultaneously.

would u plz try to connect the PS3 through HDMI n post the result for me coz am between the LG and the BenQ

MrSneis: I use VGA for the X360 and I set the black levels to the middle setting in the xbox control panel.

CoMPiLeR: Don't waste your money on the BenQ, the LG is the same monitor and it looks great with the PC, PS3, and X360. They share the same panel and I have heard that the BenQ is still having trouble with scaling.

One thing that I have noticed is that the monoprice HDMI switch (HDS-201) is suceptable to ESD. If I am wearing socks and touch the Monoprice box after walking across the room, the monitor goes black, like it lost a signal. I hope it is not damaged permanently. Some times the monitor goes into power saving mode randomly. I am trying to trace down this problem and all clues lead to the monoprice switch.

Anyone wanting to buy this switch should hold off for now, or buy a different model altogether.

Just picked up the LG 246W today at BB. I spent about a week going back and forth between a 1080/720pLCD TV for $1300-600 and a couple of days crying over how the 37w3 is impossible to find. Also drooled over the Benq but slapped myself in the face because of the price difference, I finally gave up at BestBuy and bit the bullet once I realized this monitor did HDMI and had Component Input. I also just ordered the HDMI monoprice switch so hopefully I can use ps3/PC simultaneously. So far I'm very impressed, just a tiny bit sad I still have yet to buy my first HDTV... quite a step up from the 2007wfp, viewing angles aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would.

Few questions:

1) Is VGA better than Component for xbox 360? My picture seems a little washed out when using either of these inputs with the 360... need some adjustment tips!

2) I read previously some owners had issues with the monoprice HDMI switch and using their PC after a switch... It sounded like an ATi driver issue but does it affect my 8800GTS equally?

It's very common for the VGA to look washed out when you first use it without changing the settings. In my opinion, VGA looks much better than component when using the Xbox 360. Try these setting for VGA : Red-100 Blue-100 Green-100 Contrast-63 Brightness-72.
Or you can try using the SRGB setting and change around the the brightness only until you like what you see (brightness is best around 40-60 in my opinion under SRGB).

Ps3 works great w/ HDMI @ 1080p "Original Mode"!

thanx alot man....one last thing...is the compnonet input any good?coz am thinking of hooking up a DVD player through it?

Whoodie: thanx for ur comment....so u think it aint worth it the extra money for the BenQ...all am getting extra is a DVI,Composte etc..?

any idea about best prices for the LG?
i remeber i saw one at Best Buy bt it didn have a Component..only VGA and HDMI?or am wrong?

The one at best buy is the same as the ones at other stores, so it has component as well. Not sure how the component is, though, as I have nothing to test it with (yet). Best Buy currently has them on sale for $600, so I'd recommend that if it is an option for you.

rogue_jedi: thanx alot...

does any one has the information about the input operating voltage...i need it to operate under 240V or 220V coz am taking it to my home country with me..not 110V

Go read the BenQ thread. For PC only the BenQ is fine, but for consoles the LG is the only way to go IMO. The BenQ has to many scaling issues for my tastes and the firmware update seems like too much hassle. I am perfectly satisfied with the LG. You should get it at BestBuy, that way if you don't like it it is returnable. There aren't any B&M stores that carry the BenQ.

thanx alot man....one last thing...is the compnonet input any good?coz am thinking of hooking up a DVD player through it?

Whoodie: thanx for ur comment....so u think it aint worth it the extra money for the BenQ...all am getting extra is a DVI,Composte etc..?

any idea about best prices for the LG?
i remeber i saw one at Best Buy bt it didn have a Component..only VGA and HDMI?or am wrong?

The LG is currently on sale at best buy for 599, the LG246 DOES have Component, HDMI and VGA it also has two usb ports if your are into that sort of thing on a monitor.

Whoodie said:
Go read the BenQ thread. For PC only the BenQ is fine, but for consoles the LG is the only way to go IMO. The BenQ has to many scaling issues for my tastes and the firmware update seems like too much hassle. I am perfectly satisfied with the LG. You should get it at BestBuy, that way if you don't like it it is returnable. There aren't any B&M stores that carry the BenQ.
I haven't been assured that the LG doesn't have scaling problems either. Several people mentioned cropping. Is 1080p cropped or not? What about 1080i and 720p? Is 480p and 480i scaled correctly? How's the deinterlacing? Nobody has been clear about any of this.

I haven't been assured that the LG doesn't have scaling problems either. Several people mentioned cropping. Is 1080p cropped or not? What about 1080i and 720p? Is 480p and 480i scaled correctly? How's the deinterlacing? Nobody has been clear about any of this.

With HDMI set to "Video" mode, there is a very slight amount of cropping on the left and right sides at 1080p. It's so slight that I didn't even realize it was there until a few days later. I haven't spent any significant amount of time in 720p, but it looks fine. If there is any kind of cropping, I didn't immediately notice it. Same with 1080i.

The LG does have one issue with scaling - If a computer is plugged into it, "Aspect" scaling is not an option, only 1:1 or "Fill". I don't know if this applies only to the input the computer is on (only using it for my computer over HDMI currently) but I think it applies to all inputs. The fix is probably to just unplug your computer from it when you want Aspect scaling.

Can someone with a PS3 and this monitor hook the PS3 up through HDMI and take some pictures of it running at 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i? It would be great to see how this monitor deals with the scaling on different modes(Aspect, Full, etc) with the PS3. Even if you just run the XMB, that would be great.

I turned off my computer and for the short time betweeen the computer turning off and the monitor going into power saving mode I can hear a faint humming noise. Anyone else has this? It isn't bothering me now but I'm about to rebuild my computer to make it noiseless and it would suck to have the computer noise replaced with a buzzing monitor.

Otherwise I really love this monitor.

I just got this monitor a few days ago and have some questions. When I use any color temp setting other than sRGB, the blacks tend to look more washed out because the brightness needs to be at around 63 or more. IMO this is too high of a setting. If you set the brightness setting any lower than 63 you get black crush. Adjusting the contrast doesn't seem to make a difference as the blacks still look washed out.

Now, when I use the sRGB setting, the blacks look great but the colors are slightly off. I notice pink in certain shades of gray and the only way to fix it is to adjust the red through the video card CP. I'd prefer to use the User setting over sRGB as it allows better control over color. But I don't understand why the blacks aren't as deep as they are with sRGB.

I have this monitor hooked up with the DVI-HDMI cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Okay here is a big noob question: Does this monitor have DVI? I mean, can I plug it into my computer using DVI cable? Or must use VGA?

Sorry, I just got very confused reading all the posts in this thread and seeing "HDMI > DVI converter" and such things I'm not clear on :eek:

Okay here is a big noob question: Does this monitor have DVI? I mean, can I plug it into my computer using DVI cable? Or must use VGA?

Sorry, I just got very confused reading all the posts in this thread and seeing "HDMI > DVI converter" and such things I'm not clear on :eek:
There's no DVI connection, but there is HDMI. HDMI is just DVI plus sound, so you can convert back and forth between HDMI and DVI with absolutely no change in the picture. They're completely equivalent in this respect. The monitor comes with a DVI to HDMI cable, so if you want to use this with a PC, you plug the DVI side of the cable into your video card and the HDMI side into the monitor. No need to buy anything else or to use VGA.

Back