LG L246W

I have noticed that it also does not power back up from low power state when the computer is on, the screen has been in low power mode for maybe more than 45 minutes to an hour.

I wonder if because I am running a crossfire setup, all the cross cabling doesn't let enough juice through to fully wake up the monitor.

I have noticed that it also does not power back up from low power state when the computer is on, the screen has been in low power mode for maybe more than 45 minutes to an hour.

I wonder if because I am running a crossfire setup, all the cross cabling doesn't let enough juice through to fully wake up the monitor.

You may have a good point there, I dont have this problem at all but I am using an Nvidia graphics solution and only one 8800GTS card, I know ATI's crossfire doesnt always play nice with other hardware which is why I stay clear of it. Not sure that it would be because of the juice though.

I have not had this problem with the PC connected by VGA cable, the one connected by HDMI is hardly ever monitored anymore so i am not sure *(i ought to swap them one day..new pc using old interface lol)*

i did not install any software for this monitor, just the "driver" is there any way to control it by USB instead of the buttons? i would like to make a g15 shortcut to toggle between 2 different brightness levels, or just have an up and down by pair of keys.

i turn the brightness up a bit for some games. and when i am working with graphics, but i turn it down for normal browsing and stuff.

Hi guys. I bought this monitor recently because I thought I'd be able to get 1:1 display on a 1080i HDMI input. Well it turns out the 1:1 option in the settings everyone talks about is total BS because there is forced overscan on 1080i and 720p inputs. So the difference between Full and Original is not that one stretches to full screen and the other is a true 1:1, the Original option is only there to provide the original aspect ratio of the source, but you will not get pixel perfect matching due to overscan cropping the picture on all four sides.

Does anyone know if there is a hidden service menu or something to disable the forced overscan on this monitor?

OK just bought this monitor yesterday with a PS3.

For those of you with blurry text have you updated your drivers for your video card? At first my monitor text was sketchy and screen was getting cropped, then updating my ATI X1800 drivers worked everything out. So if you say you cant read the text you must be doing something wrong cause this monitor is extremely crisp and I'm looking at it right now. haha

The PS3 looks good but in Virtua Fighter 5, it ends up getting (very) slightly cropped. I tried messing around wtih display setting in the PS3 but nothing seemed to get it 100% perfect. Any ideas?

Over all amazing monitor. No real issues with it yet..

(i dont like the menu buttons. :p )

I just got a PS3 and connected it with a 2 port HDMI switch from Monoprice. The PS3 switches back and forth fine. However, on the PC connection, if I switch to PS3 and then back, the monitor no longer detects a signal and goes into power saving mode. In order to get the display back I would have to restart the computer. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Yeah I get the same thing, only I have dual monitors setup for my computer. If I use the monoprice switch while the PC is running, the PC looses the LG and puts the taskbar on the other monitor. I think the PC thinks that you have disconnected the monitor and it will only come back under a reboot. I have not found a workaround. BTW what games do you have for the PS3. Motorstorm looks really grainy on my monitor, you?

Yeah I get the same thing, only I have dual monitors setup for my computer. If I use the monoprice switch while the PC is running, the PC looses the LG and puts the taskbar on the other monitor. I think the PC thinks that you have disconnected the monitor and it will only come back under a reboot. I have not found a workaround. BTW what games do you have for the PS3. Motorstorm looks really grainy on my monitor, you?

I have Resistance, and I just found out how much I such at FPS :p

I found a workaround though. I use ATI Tray Tools, which has an option to reset display driver. It also has an option to hot-key various functions. So I hot-keyed reset display driver, and whenever I switch back to the PC, I do that and the display comes back.

Thats a pretty neat trick to reset the display driver, I'm gonna try that. Don't feel bad about resistance. FPS should only be played on a PC. Do you have cropping at 1080p over HDMI?

Thats a pretty neat trick to reset the display driver, I'm gonna try that. Don't feel bad about resistance. FPS should only be played on a PC. Do you have cropping at 1080p over HDMI?

I do. It seems like the there is a little bit of overscan on the left side of the screen.

What's strange is, 720p and 1080i are perfect. Only 1080p has the overscan. Since the LCD's internal deinterlacer must convert an interlaced signal to a progressive one to display it anyways, I might just leave the PS3 on 1080i and see if I notice any difference. Everyone else please feel free to chime in as well.

you guys all suck.

nothing works. read my post of gloom.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
What's wrong?

It seems that the overscan problem might have been mitigated by setting "HDMI" to "Video" instead of "PC". I'll have to use it a bit more before I can say for sure.

Ive found setting it to "Video" makes it look best for the PS3. There seems to be slight cropping in Virtua Fighter 5 in all modes for me but I should test it more to be 100%.

I just ordered the Monoprice HDMi switcher earlier this week. we'll see how it works on my set up.

does a slight cropping lose the ability to show all the 1:1 stuff? I would assume so. shrug?

It seems that the overscan problem might have been mitigated by setting "HDMI" to "Video" instead of "PC". I'll have to use it a bit more before I can say for sure.

I found a new problem. When HDMI is set to "Video" mode instead of "PC", when you turn off the monitor, it shuts off the built-in USB hub. Then when you turn the monitor back on while connected to the PC, the monitor does not get a signal and goes into power saving mode. I can however revive it by the Video Driver Reload trick described in my post above though. Note this problem does not happen when HDMI is set to "PC" mode.

I found a new problem. When HDMI is set to "Video" mode instead of "PC", when you turn off the monitor, it shuts off the built-in USB hub. Then when you turn the monitor back on while connected to the PC, the monitor does not get a signal and goes into power saving mode. I can however revive it by the Video Driver Reload trick described in my post above though. Note this problem does not happen when HDMI is set to "PC" mode.

Can anyone duplicate my experience with HDMI set to "Video" mode and connected to a PC?

Can anyone duplicate my experience with HDMI set to "Video" mode and connected to a PC?
I just tried this for you. I don't have any problem with my monitor coming back on, regardless of whether HDMI is set to video or PC. Even weirder, I notice that when I shut off the power to the monitor, the USB hub still has power. (I'd never paid attention to this before, as I usually don't have any USB devices connected, but I just connected my TV tuner through the monitor hub and its power light stays on even when the monitor is off.) I'm not sure why this would be different between our two monitors.

What revision do you have? According to the back, my monitor was built in February and has model number L246WPQ.

I just tried this for you. I don't have any problem with my monitor coming back on, regardless of whether HDMI is set to video or PC. Even weirder, I notice that when I shut off the power to the monitor, the USB hub still has power. (I'd never paid attention to this before, as I usually don't have any USB devices connected, but I just connected my TV tuner through the monitor hub and its power light stays on even when the monitor is off.) I'm not sure why this would be different between our two monitors.

What revision do you have? According to the back, my monitor was built in February and has model number L246WPQ.
Mine is L245WPQ, Manufacture Date is March 2007.

Upon further inspection, I think it may be my video card. The "disconnection tone" that I assumed was the USB hub is actually not the USB hub, but the monitor itself. For whatever reason, in "Video" mode, when the monitor powers up, I get the "disconnection tone" twice, meaning the computer thinks the monitor has been disconnected for a sec, then reconnected. I wonder if it's something specific with how ATI cards output the signal? What video card do you have?

Mine is L245WPQ, Manufacture Date is March 2007.

Upon further inspection, I think it may be my video card. The "disconnection tone" that I assumed was the USB hub is actually not the USB hub, but the monitor itself. For whatever reason, in "Video" mode, when the monitor powers up, I get the "disconnection tone" twice, meaning the computer thinks the monitor has been disconnected for a sec, then reconnected. I wonder if it's something specific with how ATI cards output the signal? What video card do you have?
I have an Nvidia 7900gt. Easiest way to check whether the tone is related to the USB hub or the monitor itself would be to disconnect the USB cable and then turn the monitor back on and off and see if you still hear the sound. I don't hear the sound at all if the USB hub is not connected.

I have an Nvidia 7900gt. Easiest way to check whether the tone is related to the USB hub or the monitor itself would be to disconnect the USB cable and then turn the monitor back on and off and see if you still hear the sound. I don't hear the sound at all if the USB hub is not connected.

Yeah it's definitely the monitor. I still get the tone twice when the USB hub isn't connected.

Could someone whith a calibration tool say waht are the black levels at 140 cd/m²?
Thanks in advance.

Is the ATI Tray Tools the same as the Catalyst Center they have or something different? I was looking thru the hotkeys menu and didnt see a reset display driver option. I got my monoprice HDMI switcher today so need to do that..

Just set up the monoprice HDMI switcher and works fine. Not running into the same problems you guys are.

Loving this monitor so far..

Just set up the monoprice HDMI switcher and works fine. Not running into the same problems you guys are.

Loving this monitor so far..
What video card do you have? And what is the model and manufacture date of your monitor? (Says on the back) And which HDMI switch did you get from Monoprice?

X1800 GTO

The HDMI switch is just a 2 input 1 output manual switcher. Has two buttons on the front. Model is HDS-201

April 2007 manufacture date.

X1800 GTO

The HDMI switch is just a 2 input 1 output manual switcher. Has two buttons on the front. Model is HDS-201

April 2007 manufacture date.

You have no problem switching back and forth between the two? I have the remote version of the 2 port HDMI switch (Model HDX-201E), which may have something to do with it.

Do you have the L245W or the L246W?

L246WP-BN.

I saw the one you are talking about and thought the remote looked sketchy and decided to go with the cheaper manual one I mentioned before.

I have PS3 and PC and I can switch back and forth between the two. It does take a good 5-7 seconds for the monitor to go back on though.

L246WP-BN.

I saw the one you are talking about and thought the remote looked sketchy and decided to go with the cheaper manual one I mentioned before.

I have PS3 and PC and I can switch back and forth between the two. It does take a good 5-7 seconds for the monitor to go back on though.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if it's the monitor (they 245 and 246 should be the same AFAIK) or the video card. It's not the switch because with the monitor in "Video" mode, even if it is directly connected to the computer, turning it off and then back on yields no signal. So my best guess is that it's the video card. Quite frustrating.

What card do you have? Im sure you already updated the drivers. I did and fixed every problem people have been talking about on here, like blurry txt etc..

I am using the DVI -> HDMI cable that came with the monitor to use for the PC. Monster cable HDMI cable for PS3 and then some random HDMI cable i got from monoprice.com to hook into the monitor.

What card do you have? Im sure you already updated the drivers. I did and fixed every problem people have been talking about on here, like blurry txt etc..

I am using the DVI -> HDMI cable that came with the monitor to use for the PC. Monster cable HDMI cable for PS3 and then some random HDMI cable i got from monoprice.com to hook into the monitor.

LOL I can't believe how I overlooked the simplest solution. I updated the driver to the latest Omega release (Catalyst 7.4), and all is well now. Thanks for the suggestion :)

So if I read this entiiree thread correctly, it's like this

480p through 1080i on component
1080p doesn't work properly on VGA
1080p DOES work properly through HDMI

Is that right?

I don't know about component, but Xbox360 over vga set to 1920x1080 displays perfectly. PS3 via HDMI set to 1080p is slightly cropped when the video mode on the monitor is set to video, maybe 2-3%. Hope this helps.

I just bought a L246WP from CompUSA.

I cannot access the EZ Video option in the menu, nor can I get ForteManager to work (it will show me all the info about the monitor, but all of the adjustment options are grayed out).

I've seen mentions about this in this thread, but no advice as to resolution.

Can anyone help me out here?
I would greatly appreciate it.

chrome, did your L246WP come with the ForteManager or did you download it? If downloaded, which version?
My EZ video is also grayed out. I am guessing it is how I have my monitor hooked up. It is set to its nave resolution and is connected to a nVidia 7800GS OC using the DVI/HDMI cable.

Thanks for your reply.
I downloaded fortemanager from lge.com. I've tried all three versions from the site; none will let me make any changes to the monitor settings.
(They do recognize and give info about the monitor, but all the controls are grayed out.)

I have mine connected as you described (PC DVI via HDMI).
Maybe you're right, that EZ Video is not available with this connection mode; too bad the manual isn't very clear.

I'm perplexed, though, since others here have said that fortemanager does work with their L246WP's...?

I've sent email to LG about this; if they tell me anything I'll post it here.

Thanks for your reply.
I downloaded fortemanager from lge.com. I've tried all three versions from the site; none will let me make any changes to the monitor settings.
(They do recognize and give info about the monitor, but all the controls are grayed out.)

I have mine connected as you described (PC DVI via HDMI).
Maybe you're right, that EZ Video is not available with this connection mode; too bad the manual isn't very clear.

I'm perplexed, though, since others here have said that fortemanager does work with their L246WP's...?

I've sent email to LG about this; if they tell me anything I'll post it here.
Fortemanager works fine on mine... I'm not sure if it's officially supported by LG though (doubtful).

I'm pretty certain you'll need to make sure that DDC-CI is enabled in the menu on the monitor in order for the software to work. If this setting is off, then bi-directional communication between the monitor and the PC is disabled.

Back