LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

Does it got Internal scaling, (1:1) making me able to use black bars in games that does not support WS to maintain 4:3?

appoc said:
Does it got Internal scaling, (1:1) making me able to use black bars in games that does not support WS to maintain 4:3?
No, it upscales everything to 16:10 =[

molsoncanadian said:
So if I got it all right...you can't put this monitor to a 4:3 aspect ratio and you can't adjust its height??

so far thats how it looks but to be honest it doesnt bother me much.

the screen can tilt 5 degrees forward and 20 back

molsoncanadian said:
So if I got it all right...you can't put this monitor to a 4:3 aspect ratio and you can't adjust its height??
You can still do it through your video card drivers.

appoc said:
But only with nVidia-cards, right?

I was playing around with that yesterday night. i have x800pro and the L204WT. in the CCC there is the option for 1:1 pixel timing(? not exact name..). From what i saw, this only works for 16:10 resolutions. For example, in any game that supports widescren (for my testing CS:S) when 16:10 is selected with any resolution lower than 1680x1050 then it would work, the image would only take up the number of pixels the resolution is at. but for any resolution other than a 16:10, it would stretch the image to use all of the screen.

because it works for the 16:10 resolutions i'd be tempted to say that it's ATI's fault that non 16:10 resolutions stretch even with the option on in CCC.

In video playback and web browsing, the monitor auto scales the image to match the aspect ratio of the source material (e.g. 4:3 designed web sites are centered with large colored border areas on the sides). Why wouldn't it be the same for non-wide screen game resolutions? Why would the image only be stretched in gaming applications?

DVD playback is also auto scaled to match the aspect ratio of the movie.

Humm, thats kinda pointless though since the main reason for using 1:1 scaling is when you don't want to stretch 4:3 games.

Atleast thats the main reason for me.

rblews said:
In video playback and web browsing, the monitor auto scales the image to match the aspect ratio of the source material (e.g. 4:3 designed web sites are centered with large colored border areas on the sides). Why wouldn't it be the same for non-wide screen game resolutions? Why would the image only be stretched in gaming applications?

DVD playback is also auto scaled to match the aspect ratio of the movie.

Talking from own experience? :eek:

brumwald said:
Humm, thats kinda pointless though since the main reason for using 1:1 scaling is when you don't want to stretch 4:3 games.

Atleast thats the main reason for me.

Yes indeed.

the camera kinda sucks but heres some pics

picture1doneij9.jpg

picture2donetv5.jpg

picture3doneoq6.jpg

picture4donedp3.jpg

Hi all, i'm new to this forum and i had a few inquiries

I went to futureshop today and spent about an hour playing around with this monitor
Now, i have a few questions for the owners of this monitor.

First of all, i made the clerk play a dvd (spiderman 2 ), he played it in media player and for some reason, it had vertical bars on the sides; thus making the movie smaller than it should have been.
Is this a property of all LCDs or a particular problem, is there a way around this?

Second, I found a mpeg clip on the computer and i noticed something weird about it.
By itself, the clip looked fine apart from some color banding at some points but when i adjusted the brightness via media player 's control, the video clip starting ... "shimerring" , if i put back the brightness to 0, the shimmering would still persist. only by closing the clip and reopening it did the problem fix itself.
Now i'm wondering if this is a problem with the monitor, video card or perhaps the clip itself

Now another question about games, can i set my games at resolutions in the 16:10 ratio, like 1440x 900 and the monitor will scale that up to fill the screen?
can anyone test if the quality is comparable cuz my video card is getting a bit old to play newer games at 1680x 1050

i appreciate any responses

Galon989 said:
First of all, i made the clerk play a dvd (spiderman 2 ), he played it in media player and for some reason, it had vertical bars on the sides; thus making the movie smaller than it should have been.

You sure he grabbed a widescreen version of spiderman, cause it sounds like he played the full screen version of it, which is the only reason why the vertical bars would show up to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio. Widescreen movies play fine on widescreen monitors and you only get little black bars on the top and bottom, cause of the 16:10 aspect ratio of the monitor.

well the movie itself was clearly in 16:9 ratio , just had vertical bars left and right

I've had that problem too on my widescreen laptop. But that is definitly a software problem and of course the monitor supports movies in full-screen. Don't remember what I did to fix it but it's no biggie.

Puterguru said:
Man that is an awesome desk. What is it?

to be honest i dont know ive had it for atleast 5 years maybe more i got it from staples

I just picked up the LG L204WT on my home from work. I've been doing online research for days and spent of time looking it over in the store, comparing it other displays, etc. In the end, I took advantage of the 14-day return policy and it's now sitting on my desk. I was interested in the Samsung 205BW but I could not find a display model anywhere in town. I suppose I could order one online for comparison sake, but we'll have to see.

For now, i've got the LG out of the box and have it connected to a Sapphire X1600XT via DVI and running at 1680x1050. My immediate impression is that it's quite large and *very* bright. It took a bit of tweaking to get the settings to a point where I could actually look at the display for any length of time while still keeping good colours and contrast. So far, so good. I still to run some calibration tests...

I threw in a few DVD's (all widescreen) and the playback is decent, but some discs don't fill the screen. I anticipated bars at the top/bottom due to the display being 16:10 and i'm fine with it, but a few discs left black bars on the left/right as well. Odd. Something to look into... is this the scaling, or lack of, that everyone speaks of?

With all the new found space on my desk i'm going to do some house cleaning tonight and maybe fire up some games if I have time. I hope to have some photos up by tomorrow night.

I've got the same video card as you (only the L203) and watch a lot of widescreen movies, both DVD and downloaded DivX files, and have yet to see any vertical black bar area borders-- only small horizontal ones, top/bottom.

Incidentally, try the PureVideo DVD decoder for your DVD playback-- think you will see a big difference in PQ.

Good point. I should try some different decoders, not that I really watch that many DVD's on the computer - that's why my living room is for. ;)

I have WinDVD installed at the moment and that's what i've been using. I have PowerDVD kicking around somewhere and should probably give it a try.

myckee said:
VINK, how do you open up the service menu?

I just picked up one of these from Futureshop last night and so far I love it. If I had my digicam here I'd take some pics for you all, but I do not.

sorry i reply so late...
here is the steps:
1. power off l204wt
2. power on while MENU pressed
3. press MENU button again.

I've tried a bunch of DVD's and have not had any vertical bars, this with powerDVD. Of course, I've got a bit of an oddball graphics card for around here :eek:

Has anyone noticed backlight bleeding on this monitor and banding on the monitor?
how does the backlight compare to the dell 2005/2007 lcds?

appoc said:
But only with nVidia-cards, right?
I have an nvidia, but I'd assume ATI would have a similar option. On the nvidia control panel, it's called "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling."

Puterguru said:
Man that is an awesome desk. What is it?
I agree. I used to have a nice (but not that nice) corner desk. I had it about 5 years, but after moving 3 times it got too banged up and I was afraid it was going to fall apart. When it came time to replace it, I couldn't find a nice corner desk that I liked, so I've been using a temp desk or the past 4 years.

Picked this monitor up Monday at Circuit City for $319 out the door. I printed out the $40 off $199 jpeg that is floating around the Slickdeals forum and handed it to them with zero problems...don't buy it off of Ebay.

As far as the monitor goes..coming from a staunch CRT advocate for years this monitor is unbelievable.

Picture = Pristine, zero ghosting, zero bad pixels. It was very bright to me at first and hurt my eyes, but now that I have adjusted physically as well as messed with the contrast/brightness I could never go back to my CRT

Aesthetics = Looks great. Base is a bit flimsy, but the monitor is gorgeous.

One additional thing..as far as video goes..no black bars here either and all of my anime divx movies scale perfectly with a bit of messing with MPlayer Classic. I just got done playing Half Life 2 again, and the amount of detail this LCD brings out blew my mind. Believe the hype.

james111 said:
Has anyone noticed backlight bleeding on this monitor and banding on the monitor?

I just set mine up lastnight. No banding to report, at least none that I can see. There is a little backlight bleading but only from the extreme top/bottom of the display, and it's really only visible on black backgrounds with little ambient light. I don't see it being much of an issue. It really is minor. I hope to have some photos up tonight and will take a shot of this...

yea the bleeding at the top and bottom is very minor i dont notice it during movies or in games such a condemned that has a black bar at the top and bottom. this really is an awsome monitor

whats the heigh when the monitor is up...cause its like an issue for me as the monitor is on the same table as my keyboard..so it has to be kinda heigh otherwise, i will lose viewing angle :(

You can still tilt the monitor back. That way, you'll be looking down the monitor, which is better for your neck and eyes.

ok i just got one..and something's weird...i can see like all the little pixels..its quite annoying..and i don't know why its like htis..is it because im using analog?? Yeah like when i look at a picture, i see all the dots on it..its quite annoying or when I watch a movie..it's like noisy :(....I thought it would be better with the comments of users here or maybe i got a bad version of it...how did you guys set up your screen?

id exchange it cause my picture is pretty damn good. i couldnt ask for a better more clear picture.. and i havnt got my dvi cable yet which shouldmake it look even better if thats possible

molsoncanadian said:
whats the heigh when the monitor is up...cause its like an issue for me as the monitor is on the same table as my keyboard..so it has to be kinda heigh otherwise, i will lose viewing angle :(

As you probably know, the LG L204WT is not height adjustable. So, from the surface of my desk to the bottom of the display area (not the bezel) is ~4" and from the surface of my desk to the top of the display area (again, not the bezel) is ~15". Those measurements should allow you to predict where the display will land on your desk.

Personally, the majority of adjustable displays are still too low for me as I need the bottom of the display to be at least 8" above the surface of my desk. So, an LCD arm is where i'm heading, tho i've got the LG atop an Ultra 1 Creator at the moment. ;)

molsoncanadian said:
ok i just got one..and something's weird...i can see like all the little pixels..its quite annoying..and i don't know why its like htis..is it because im using analog?? Yeah like when i look at a picture, i see all the dots on it..its quite annoying or when I watch a movie..it's like noisy :(....I thought it would be better with the comments of users here or maybe i got a bad version of it...how did you guys set up your screen?

Hmm, could be due to analog... haven't tried it with mine as I went straight to DVI. I can give a try this weekend tho and see how it fairs. Coming off DVI tho the picture is pretty clean and crisp... if I stick my nose to the screen then yeah, I suppose I can see the pixels...

james111 said:
Anyone?

Wildace said:
id exchange it cause my picture is pretty damn good. i couldnt ask for a better more clear picture.. and i havnt got my dvi cable yet which shouldmake it look even better if thats possible

so u mean..there is no grain or nothing..could it be my video card?? i got a msi 6800gt

Back