LG IPS7 series announced, late August 2012 - price TBD

Are you fucking kidding me? 1080p on a 27" IPS screen?

What a damn joke. Pixel density is HORRIBLE at 27 inches / 1080p.

There are at least a dozen known 2560x1440p, 27" IPS displays, some of which can be found for $400 or less now (with warranty as well). There are many reasons why a person would prefer 1080p, even at 27". This is the first 1080p 27" IPS panel, which is why many are excited. I can understand how some would not prefer this resolution, so you do have alternatives. For those who want 1080p @ 27" on IPS, we have zero alternatives. So, if you don't like the monitor, there are other threads for you :)

I'm sorry... You just posted a load of pictures that prove our points about the inner bezel. :confused: They clearly show a 1mm(ish) outer bezel which is clearly seperate from the dark grey border (inner bezel) which gives a total width of over 10mm.

To be fair, unlike many, he went out and did some research and edited his post. Rather than hide his original comments, he left them intact. He was being more of a man then most and I respect that.

With that said, I can actually SEE the matte coating in those photos and it is disgusting. Like he said, LG will never learn. I'm not surprised that they lied about the bezel though, they've done worse. Remember the 2270V (or whatever model) last year where they tried to pass off a TN as IPS? I will try to view this monitor in person at some point though. Hopefully it's a case of it being AG over glass and can be peeled as one person suggested. But, if that is the case it would be the first time I've personally seen it.

Last edited:
Sorry, 1080p looks like shit on a 27". The pixel density is terrible.

This could be an interesting product BUT there are tons of 27" 1080p panels everywhere already. Unless you just really want thin bezel, whats the point? Why can't LG step up and make an affordable 2560x1440 panel?

Give it a rest, these posts of "anything less than 2560×1440 is shit" are as annoying and worthless as the bloody "16:9 is better than 16:10" posts. Just accept that there are different niches and requirements for different users.

Last edited:
Take the resolution debate elsewhere. If you don't like it, then get out of this thread.

read the whole text of his post and then you won't be confused

I did - he edited it and acknowledged a misunderstanding. The inner and outer bezel bit caused confusion. Really the whole thing should be considered 'the bezel' but it is LG who are drawing a false distinction and trying to mislead people. If you look at the Apple Cinema Display for example you could say it has a super thin bezel if you only count the outer silver bit. In truth it is a lot thicker. Still the IPS7 series has a total bezel thickness of around 10mm by the looks of things which is still good.

I did - he edited it
I believe the edit was there a while before you actually posted your previous reply...

Yes LG are being very sly and just flat out misrepresenting the product in their promotional material. It still looks reasonably nice, but the version with the DVB-T tuner is only very slightly more expensive (no faking of the bezel size) and the 3D version is only 10% more also.

Overall, it's underwhelming and the false marketing just makes the whole range sour.

In fairness, based on the bargain/econo pricing, you'll "get what you paid for", no more, no less.

omg... look at how thin the bezel is 0_0. I just ordered a LG IPS236 23 inch IPS monitor. Maybe I should return that and get this in a few weeks 0_0

Some pictures I found of the 27":

AGB08.jpg

U1YwQ.jpg

AQNkB.jpg

TrrEv.jpg

9qw5x.jpg

Looks incredible sexy!!

I believe the edit was there a while before you actually posted your previous reply...

Yes LG are being very sly and just flat out misrepresenting the product in their promotional material. It still looks reasonably nice, but the version with the DVB-T tuner is only very slightly more expensive (no faking of the bezel size) and the 3D version is only 10% more also.

Overall, it's underwhelming and the false marketing just makes the whole range sour.

Very sly indeed. Not that it matters but I read his pre-edited post but had a phonecall whilst replying so that was delayed. And do you mean the DM92? The bezel is the same with its fakery on that.

As someone else mentioned it would be great if the antiglare was some kind of film that is easily removable but I wouldn't count on it.

I was just going by the price engines and what I found when I looked up the IPS277L and searched 27" @ 1920×1080. The products using the similar panel are all from LG's TV monitor range and the bezel and stand are the same for each. The IPS277L is the only one that has the stylish bezel, the TV monitors look pretty generic and not that handsome.

listed in August 2012

• M2732D-PZ (DVB-T, DVB-C, remote control)
  • DM2752D (DVB-T, DVB-C, 3D incl. 3D-glasses)
listed in June 2012

• IPS277L (fake, not actually thin bezel)
listed in May 2012

• M2752D-PZ (DVB-T, DVB-C, remote control)

EDIT: I just listed those feature as noted on the price engine, they may not be accurate so anyone interested should check final specs on LG's website

Last edited:
This is the best and most useful monitor ever!

Careful about getting too excited man. The last two times I saw you get over excited about monitors (LG E2770V, BenQ GW2750HM), you got burned (and I along with you on that last one). Let's wait and see how it is when it comes out. Right now I am interested because it addresses the main concern that I have with existing IPS monitors (27" 1080p w/HDMI). It's the first IPS to offer this. Black levels, contrast, and IPS glow can't be mitigated too much, but removing the heavy AG would be a start. So, let's reserve judgement until we see it in person, given our recent history with monitors :)

Yea does anyone know if there is a picture that shows 24inch 1080p and 27inch 1080p difference in terms of picture size? (not monitor size)

o
Yea does anyone know if there is a picture that shows 24inch 1080p and 27inch 1080p difference in terms of picture size? (not monitor size)

There is none. 1080p is 1080p. Both monitors will produce the exact same image. The only difference will be the physical size of the monitor if front of you.

I've been waiting on this monitor for a while. But I can't wait for lawyers to start suing LG for misrepresentation of the product. If they plan on using that "invisible bezel" terminology and advertised their products with images that stretches from bezel to bezel when it doesn't, I will be collecting on my class action money.

So if LG wants to avoid that class action lawsuit, they better either change their advertisement or give us monitors that produces images from bezel to bezel.

IPS237L $230

Ok, few clarifications about these monitors as I'm tired of reading people saying, "Fail" without understanding why things are the way they are. Long post, but good info here.

1) 27" is 1920x1080, not 2560x1440. I'm gonna get the 23", but the people upset that the 27" isn't 1440, you're not understanding the purpose of this monitor and the market it's intended for. A 1440 would be expensive, like $800-1000 and the thinner bezel on this monitor invites the tri-screen gaming croud.

Nobody wants to pay $2400-3000 for monitors, not to mention trying to have the video cards to push a 7680x1440 resolution. Now, yes I agree that a 27" at 1080 doesn't give the greatest dot pitch, but they obviously created these monitors for a more mass market who wants passive 3D, wants IPS, and a thinner bezel. They want to sell more units, and the 27" 1440p market isn't as big as the mainstream who just wants a decent monitor that's cheaper. So it isn't "FAIL", you're just not realizing the intended market.

2) BEZELS. Ok, I want to slap LG's marketing for messing with everyone. Due to the pictures they keep slapping on these monitors (in screenshots), and probably due as well to a language barrier. Everyone has been led to believe it's a 1.2mm bezel. Yeah, wouldn't that be a dream come true for tri-screen gaming. Unfortunately it's not true.....

...The bezel is not 1.2mm, it's been confirmed by folks at CES, and by a Chinese review site that physically measured the bezel and had Win7 displayed on it. There's a 1.2mm outer frame, but behind the glass, there's a thicker internal bezel so the TOTAL bezel width was measured at 10mm.

Now that's STILL the thinnest bezel IPS monitor there is, so tri-screening will still be great,
but it's not the 1.2mm dream we were led to believe. This isn't really LG's fault it seems
though. Everywhere I read, LG talks about "ultra thin bezel", they don't actually say 1.2mm. It's all the press, review sites, users, various websites that all have been calling it a 1.2mm bezel because they see that and assume. The actual 10mm bezel is techincally "ultra thin" like they said. It's all a user/press confusion.

3) Isn't 120hz, because it's IPS, and a 120hz IPS screen doesn't exist, come on.
Plus, 120hz isn't the marketing aim for these. Vid cards would have a really hard time pushing 5760x1080@120hz, that's twice as hard for them as 5760x1080@60hz. Not to mention that LG just doesn't do active-shutter 3D, they aren't a 120hz company. You have to think of all variables. 60hz gaming is just fine with vsync on and the passive 3D on these monitors should be ok if you just wanna do 1 screen.

I've read reviews of side-by-side 3D viewage on TVs with active-shutter vs passive and most of the reviewers actually preferred the passive 3D, like you see at the movies. I don't care
though. 120hz vs 60hz is a never ending argument. Whatever someone has in front of them is what they're going to prefer. There's folks that had both monitors and prefered the 60hz IPS, subjective. As soon as you knew these monitors were IPS, there shouldn't even be a question or discussion about 120hz.

4) Price. Based on a Belgian site already selling the IPS237L, and converting that to US
dollar, price seems to loosely be around $230. Obviously could be different by time it reaches newegg or amazon.

So the size picture on 24inch and 27 is actually the same? I always thought that image "stretches" or would look bigger if you put 1080p on even a bigger screen.

Whats the dot pitch then that people are talking about?

So the size picture on 24inch and 27 is actually the same? I always thought that image "stretches" or would look bigger if you put 1080p on even a bigger screen.

Whats the dot pitch then that people are talking about?

You're going to see the same image, just in a different size. Dot pitch is just basic math. If the resolution is 1920x1080 on both monitors, and one is 24" while the other is 27", then it is just basic math that shows that the pixels on one monitor are larger than the other. So, if we assume the monitors are truly 24" and 27" (they usually aren't, but it makes for easy math), then the numbers would be like this: (PPI is pixels per inch, and dot pitch is the physical size of a pixel)

24" - 91.79 PPI, 0.2767mm dot pitch
27" - 81.59 PPI, 0.3113mm dot pitch

There is no actual stretching, it's just a case of the pixels being larger. If you take the same image on both a 24" and a 27" monitor and placed them both at the same distance in front of you, the 24" image would look cleaner due to the pixels being smaller. You'd want the larger monitor to accommodate a larger field of view based on sitting farther from the screen. I generally game at 30-36" distance face to screen. I don't want a 23/24" monitor. I can recline more often now than when I had a 22" :)

Careful about getting too excited man. The last two times I saw you get over excited about monitors (LG E2770V, BenQ GW2750HM), you got burned (and I along with you on that last one). Let's wait and see how it is when it comes out. Right now I am interested because it addresses the main concern that I have with existing IPS monitors (27" 1080p w/HDMI). It's the first IPS to offer this. Black levels, contrast, and IPS glow can't be mitigated too much, but removing the heavy AG would be a start. So, let's reserve judgement until we see it in person, given our recent history with monitors :)

You are a very wise man. I really have trouble not to get excited about this one but you are right. Let's wait so we don't get burned again.

The E2770V story was a nightmare. IPS according to specs but TN in reality. :(

You are a very wise man. I really have trouble not to get excited about this one but you are right. Let's wait so we don't get burned again.

The E2770V story was a nightmare. IPS according to specs but TN in reality. :(

Yup, it was just an above average performing TN, but LG advertised it as IPS. LG didn't finally admit it was TN until near the end of its shelf life.

I would love if they would make a 24inch version

They have a 23" version. The funny thing is that most 23" and 24" monitors are actually just 23.6". The real 23" and 24" difference is usually that 23" is 1920x1080 and the 24" is 1920x1200. They're the same width with the 1200p screen having more height to accommodate the pixels. So, don't get fooled by the 23" advertised size, it's roughly the same size as all those 24" 1080p TN panels.

Well some monitors have real 24inch size 61cm :) while some dont.. i know that already.

Thats why i always look at the specs.

WARNING

its just a regular panel with the frontal aluminum protection sheet removed
11 millimeters of extra black borders on every side - none of which they bother to mention anywhere
they even faked the press images simply removing this "tiny detail" in photoshop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4fg9liWguo

i'm no lawyer but pretty sure what lg does could be considered a straight-out scam in most countries

WARNING

11 millimeters of extra black borders on every side - none of which they bother to mention anywhere
they even faked the press images simply removing this "tiny detail" in photoshop!

i'm no lawyer but pretty sure what lg does could be considered a straight-out scam in most countries

Truth be told, the bezel of this monitor is outstanding. The issue, as you and others have pointed out, is that LG claimed 1.2mm (in their press release and on the box itself!), and the image on the box shows an implied 1.2mm bezel. LG is getting pretty bad with this false advertisement streak they're on (E2770 advertised as IPS, was actually TN).

Still, this looks like a nice monitor as it will still be the first 27" 1080p IPS. The 23" version is still attractive due to MHL, as it's the first IPS I'm aware of to have that built in. But outside of these qualities I really haven't seen anything special yet. I just recently replaced my BenQ and I went with a known quantity. I think I'm happy as I got the Samsung 550 again, but this time it came without defective speakers/dac. Only issue I can find from my initial battery of tests is a VERY minimal amount of BLB on the bottom of the screen, but it requires a totally black screen and total darkness in my room to detect. Not noticeable in games or desktop use, and doesn't even disturb movies. I'd have to be real picky to want to ditch this one.

So, for those following this monitor, I hope it's what you're looking for. I'll still try to see it in person after release, but it would have to knock my socks off to get my to swap for it. I don't expect that, and I will simply be happy with my Samsung until OLED hits 27" for under $1,500.

Are there any in depth reviews for these series of monitors?

Did anyone see this one also? Its IPS and its only around 150EU LG IPS234V

I?m also interested in AG coating and how is it compared to DELL and ASUS monitors

French review of the IPS237l (23" version) is up.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/lg-flatron-ips237l-p14102/test.html

Some highlights:
-they ding it for falsely advertising the bezel (like everyone else has pointed out)
-Contrast ratio is tested at 760:1, which isn't great by today's standards but isn't horrible for a modern IPS
-In terms of response times, they found the default setting to have too much RTC overshoot, and the off setting (does it only have on/off!?) to have an average of 15ms. Not good!
-Input lag was tested at 29.7ms, or <2 frames at 60hz, which is acceptable for all but the most competitive

Basically, a budget IPS monitor. It's not going to win any awards for, well, anything. I don't see it as superior to my Samsung series 5. By switching, I'd give up response time, input lag, and contrast ratio to gain a better vertical viewing angle. No thanks. I'll still try to run the monitor through it's paces if I can find one at a B&M, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

For those who have wanted a 27" 1080p IPS panel...I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider the Samsung series 3/5/7 TN panels.

I think it only wins on shiny. There are other 'cheap' IPS panels that don't have input lag, if you don't mind 6bit color, and don't have RTC issues.

Looks like I'll never get lcd monitor for my pc(too many lies and false promises). Just got to hope my 17 inch crt last forever

Looks like I'll never get lcd monitor for my pc(too many lies and false promises). Just got to hope my 17 inch crt last forever

OLED will be here soon bro.Should fix everything except for heat and power consumption.

I think it only wins on shiny. There are other 'cheap' IPS panels that don't have input lag, if you don't mind 6bit color, and don't have RTC issues.

Unless you want 27" and 1080p, then this is the only current IPS option. 3840x2160 can't come fast enough.

OLED will be here soon bro.Should fix everything except for heat and power consumption.

I wouldn't hold your breathe on that ;)

I had the LG 15 inch Oled, it was nice for sure but from the direction I see Oled going its going to be big screens first and SOMEDAY it will trickle down to monitors.

For the time being the lg Dm2792 will have to tide me over. Mine will be here next week, justing hoping it doesnt have an AG film and if it does I can peel it off like their larger tvs :)

French review of the IPS237l (23" version) is up.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/moniteur-ecran-lcd/lg-flatron-ips237l-p14102/test.html

Some highlights:
-they ding it for falsely advertising the bezel (like everyone else has pointed out)
-Contrast ratio is tested at 760:1, which isn't great by today's standards but isn't horrible for a modern IPS
-In terms of response times, they found the default setting to have too much RTC overshoot, and the off setting (does it only have on/off!?) to have an average of 15ms. Not good!
-Input lag was tested at 29.7ms, or <2 frames at 60hz, which is acceptable for all but the most competitive

Basically, a budget IPS monitor. It's not going to win any awards for, well, anything. I don't see it as superior to my Samsung series 5. By switching, I'd give up response time, input lag, and contrast ratio to gain a better vertical viewing angle. No thanks. I'll still try to run the monitor through it's paces if I can find one at a B&M, but I'm not going to go out of my way.

For those who have wanted a 27" 1080p IPS panel...I'd strongly encourage you to reconsider the Samsung series 3/5/7 TN panels.

You can disregard this review, I've went and looked at their other reviews and they're no better than CNET. They apparently crank a display to max brightness (if not there by default) and measure the contrast there. Yea, washed out blacks always lead to high contrast (sarcasm). The display I'm using was measured at a contrast ratio of 640 on their website despite being 1200-1500 calibrated from more reputable websites. They also don't test all of the AMA/RTC/overdrive settings, just the highest and lowest. Pretty much all of their monitor reviews give the same results; high has too much overshoot and low has too much ghosting. If they would bother to test the medium setting, they might just find that the porridge tastes just right.

Bottom line is the my main concerns from their review, contrast ratio and response time, are bunk due to the way that they tested. I'll wait for a more reputable review, or better yet, put it through its paces myself.

There is a proper, but pay to view (unlocks for free viewing on 1st October) review of the IPS234V on Prad.de: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-lg-ips234v-pn-summary.html?c=1&id=646

Obviously it's not the same model as IPS237L but it may give a more reasonable guide to the panel performance. I suspect the only differences are feature set and attractiveness of the stand and bezel. Both products on the Aussie site if you want to compare the basic specs in English: http://www.lg.com/au/ips-monitors

Yea i was checking out IPS234V and it seems its the newer model and also looks really good. But not sure if its any better than the Dell U2312HM or if there is any difference in coating.

WARNING

Welcome to last month

BAAAHHHHH, these monitors don't have DVI input.....pfft. Well, keeping ZR30w then

That's the trend we're heading to. HDMI/DisplayPort are the connections of choice. Most monitors will have VGA as a legacy input, while a monitor with higher than 1080p/1200p resolution will have DVI-D support.

Back