LG IPS237

Poor contrast, meh default colours and motion handling

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/lg-flatron-ips237l-p14102/test.html

The LG brand 23" IPS are never very good, even though LG makes IPS panels.

The review is garbage. Their review of my current monitor had even more BS (and it was rated 2 stars overall by them). Monitors that test at 900-1200 CR anywhere else will get 600-750 from DV.

Bottom line is that, while I suspect that this monitor will be not much better than average, I just don't trust DV's reviews the way I do others. I view them as being on par with CNEST for monitor reviews.

Their reviews are fine and IPS panels contrast varies between the same units, usually by 30%. If you compare their contrast measurements for TN & VA panels they are very similar to every one else's.

DV's U2412HM review is fine. They didn't turn off the overdrive in the service menu which causes ghosting when turned on. Service menu's can only be accessed if you know the right button combinations because they are not intended to be accessed by consumers. Some manufacturers will void the warranty if they find out that the owner accessed the service menu and changed settings.

Their reviews are fine and IPS panels contrast varies between the same units, usually by 30%. If you compare their contrast measurements for TN & VA panels they are very similar to every one else's.

My panel was rated with a CR of roughly 600 on DV BUT 900-1100 everywhere else. Like I said man, they are as credible as CNET.

DV's U2412HM review is fine. They didn't turn off the overdrive in the service menu which causes ghosting when turned on. Service menu's can only be accessed if you know the right button combinations because they are not intended to be accessed by consumers. Some manufacturers will void the warranty if they find out that the owner accessed the service menu and changed settings.

So if you turn off the overdrive mode does the input lag increase?

Just bought two IPS237L's

The first thing I noticed is the brightness is lower than my previous LG DM2780D (and that was less bright than my Sony 32S3000)

The colours seem ok, apparently it's factory callobrated but I dunno, things seem a little off to me

The input lag is not noticeable when the Overdrive thing is turned off, played COD4 for 30mins with no notice of any lag (so happy, was expecting lag) :)

The input lag is not noticeable when the Overdrive thing is turned off, played COD4 for 30mins with no notice of any lag (so happy, was expecting lag) :)

maybe because overdrive is for pixel response time and has nothing to do with input lag...

The review is garbage. Their review of my current monitor had even more BS (and it was rated 2 stars overall by them). Monitors that test at 900-1200 CR anywhere else will get 600-750 from DV.

Bottom line is that, while I suspect that this monitor will be not much better than average, I just don't trust DV's reviews the way I do others. I view them as being on par with CNEST for monitor reviews.

I'd put DV below CNet because they probably spend less time on each screen than Cnet and PCMag.

Their response time/ghosting test and methodology is particularly poor. I'd pay no attention to their reviews.

It's sad, because back in 2008-2009 their site was a great "quick reference" site on monitors. Not any more.

My favorite part is at the end where they seemingly didn't try the LG provided calibration software even though they use a colorimeter.

maybe because overdrive is for pixel response time and has nothing to do with input lag...

LOL touche! I seem to be a bit mixed up

After downloading a calibrated profile the colours are excellent, they were really dark out of the box. I don't notice any ghosting when playing games etc. The screen is basically a iMac screen quality wise, not as bright and not glass covered though.

The matte finish isn't harsh like my older TN monitor, it's a really good level imo. Not reflective, but not grainy so that you notice it's there :)

There's nothing specifically wrong with the monitor for the price, I'd like to recommend them but they are my first IPS panels and I wouldn't want to mis-lead anyone. Apparently the AOC i2367fh is coming out in December, that'll probably be slightly better if it's anything like its older brother the AOC i2357Fh (I couldn't be assed waiting for it to release)

I can answer any questions of upload pics if anyone wants though :)

Could you upload some pictures of the screen switched off in a bright room? I want to see how the surface looks. I'm not interested in buying one I'd like to know how light or heavy the surface is compared to the older IPS models. Your words are encouraging though.:)

Could you upload some pictures of the screen switched off in a bright room? I want to see how the surface looks. I'm not interested in buying one I'd like to know how light or heavy the surface is compared to the older IPS models. Your words are encouraging though.:)

Ask and you shall receive!

8164220265_650f1f0748_h.jpg

8164255540_a64fe15d69_h.jpg

LG IPS237L is strange monitor: good color settings (dE, grayscale), nice and working hardware calibration (for such price!), but terrible handling (rather use software way - TrueColor Finder), bad stand and awful coating (sticked not very preciously):
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/recen...-nejrozporuplnejsiho-lcd-monitoru-soucasnosti
(use google translate CZ -> EN if u re interested)

Great review! I just read most of it.

Like always (for low-mid range IPS), it seems there are large variations between the same units (digital versus unit had much lower contrast and worse colours).

I had two samples (I destroyed the first one because of that stupid stand :)) for review, both were fine (read: non problematic) in terms of brightness uniformity. Another czech website has the unit with worse uniformity and some backlight bleeding.

Back