LG IPS236V bad as they say?

I've been looking for a monitor for console gaming. Looked at the IPS236V a lot, but conerned that it won't be fluid enough when fps gaming with games like MW2+3, Halo, BF3 etc.

Anyone here have any ghosting experience with this model in particular?

I'd like to think I prefer image quality over *!OMG I Have the faste$t montior around, l@@k at me!

But if I am going to notice ghosting or input lag where it distracts me from gaming then I will appreciate suggestions. Been also looking at the syncmaster PX2370, Xl2370 and the BX2231, but most of those are out of my range.

Thanks guys.

That monitor is straight up garbage. At a Best Buy display sitting between a dozen TN panels, it was one of the worst. Displaying a white screen next to the Samsung SB550, the latter was white while the LG looked like smokers' teeth.

I know, I know, it's IPS. But being IPS doesn't make it "moar betterer!!!111" as many here seem to believe. This particular LG just doesn't hold up.

Although you two say it's not good, I read others say they don't notice any ghosting. Still hard to determine if I should drop looking for a deal for one.

Looked up the VG23AH, its nice but read that the color accuracy isn't great and I have no need for 3d.

The people who don't notice the ghosting are display noobs.

There is no reason to go with the IPS236V since the IPS234 is out, is similarly priced and has faster response times then the IPS236V, same with the IPS235, but it's your money, if you want to buy an inferior display go for it.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-lg-ips235v.html

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-lg-ips236v-teil13.html#Reaktionsverhalten

I would post PRAD's IPS234V review but it's not out for the public yet and it is in German. Just compare the response time numbers in both the 235 and 236 reviews. The IPS231P uses the same panel as the 236V and is just as slow:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-lg-ips231p-part14.html#Responsiveness

I don't know where you read that the Asus has bad colour accuracy, and if you want the most fluid gaming IPS it's one of the only IPS with fast response times that supports 76hz. It's also the ONLY matte IPS panel that does not use an excessively grainy matte coating. 3D is just a bonus

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1701734

Last edited:
@Shifty Effect
I had the LG IPS234P and i returned it because of IPS-Glow, low contrast and aggressive AG-Coating the response time is also not that good but it's not as bad as the LG IPS236V.

Well, I'm looking at a monitor on the cheap. $100-$150 max and the LG was certainly on the lower end of that low-end. It would seem that it's not a good choice for me, is what I'm gathering. I should of been specific about my terrible budget, my bad.

The Asus sounds great, your right about the color, I looked up wrong model. But it's way out of my range. I'm not buying a monitor for a steller high-end PC rig (man wish that were it). Just for playing Xbox 360/PS3 at my brothers house, couple times a month at best.

Thought the IPS236V was a lotta bang for little buck. Gotta look for alternatives now.

Well, I'm looking at a monitor on the cheap. $100-$150 max and the LG was certainly on the lower end of that low-end. It would seem that it's not a good choice for me, is what I'm gathering. I should of been specific about my terrible budget, my bad.

The Asus sounds great, your right about the color, I looked up wrong model. But it's way out of my range. I'm not buying a monitor for a steller high-end PC rig (man wish that were it). Just for playing Xbox 360/PS3 at my brothers house, couple times a month at best.

Thought the IPS236V was a lotta bang for little buck. Gotta look for alternatives now.

Here's my personal favorites, and while they are TN, they are significantly better than the IPS that you selected (I've seen them side by side). I apologize, but they are all slightly outside of your budget, so I'm hoping that you can stretch a little. I'm still keeping it under $200.

Samsung S24B350HL - $249.99, but goes on sale every 2-3 weeks for $179.99

Samsung S23B550v - Currently $269.99, but goes on sale every 2-3 weeks for $189.99

Basically, the SB350 is Samsung's entry level TN panel, and I've had it side-by-side with many other LCDs (Apple Cinema Display, BenQ VA panels, Asus TN panels, and LG TN/IPS panels). While subjective, I prefer the image on it to everything but the ACD and high quality VA panels. Without a doubt (IMO), best TN panels out there.

The SB550 series adds a second HDMI input (MHL capable), an onboard DAC, and speakers. It also seems to have a slightly higher quality panel. Seems the panels were binned, with "A+" going to the SB750, "A" going to the SB550, and "A-" going to the SB350. Given the $10 price difference between the 350 and 550 at this size (during the bi-monthly sale), I'd get the 550.

That monitor is straight up garbage. At a Best Buy display sitting between a dozen TN panels, it was one of the worst. Displaying a white screen next to the Samsung SB550, the latter was white while the LG looked like smokers' teeth.

I know, I know, it's IPS. But being IPS doesn't make it "moar betterer!!!111" as many here seem to believe. This particular LG just doesn't hold up.

the lg probably wasn't calibrated. Out of box, the colors were a bit off for me and only took a few minutes to remedy. I'm getting far less ghosting and screen tearing with this monitor than my 2ms and 5ms TN monitors.

http://www.retrevo.com/s/LG-IPS236V-Monitors-review-manual/id/23939dj388/t/1-2/
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/lg-flatron-ips226v-p10192/test.html
http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/monitors/lg-ips236/

Last edited:
LG236V has pretty bad AG coating (as usual for LG) and they have BAD quality control on their w-led backlight bleeding and screen uniformity. I have one and it sure took a while to get it into decent shape.

LG236V has pretty bad AG coating (as usual for LG) and they have BAD quality control on their w-led backlight bleeding and screen uniformity. I have one and it sure took a while to get it into decent shape.

You got that right. I ordered 3 IPS231's to run in NVSurround and had to send one back because the backlight was so bad the screen was actually yellow at the top on a black screen. You could actually press on the frame and watch the lighting change. At least the replacement was ok, but all 3 have some minor bleed.

The anti-glare coating is pretty thick, like everyone says. I got used to it, but at first it was very distracting and does make whites sparkle (but not in a good way).

There's a bit more ghosting than I'd like on these, but it's not horrible, and I don't play FPS games much. I tend to notice things more than most people though.

I got them cause they were cheap so I could see if I'd like 3 monitor gaming without wasting too much money if I didn't. They're more than acceptable for the price I paid. I've considered upgrading to 1 large 27" and ditching NVSurround, but then I'll play a game that it works great on them and change my mind.

Back