LG C7 banding.

Murzilka

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,
Question to owners of the c6/c7 - how do you deal with banding issue?
As desktop users you should sit pretty close to it and so it becomes even more pronounced like right in your face...

Any TV running 4:4:4 60 Hz 4K will have banding. It is due to the crappy bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0 running max 8-bit color. This will be eliminated once HDMI 2.1 hits in the next couple years.

I have recently upgraded from 55JS9000 to 55 LG C7. The C7 has noticeable banding in the banding test: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Switching to 12 bit (at 30hz) does not improve it. In the same test on the JS9000 (and my old benq BL3200) the banding is significantly less (at 8 bit)

That being said in regular usage C7 banding in a not an issue. Stay away from low gradient backgrounds and you will never see it.

C7 is a great gaming/movie display but is probably not an ideal productivity display. It has two issues as a productivity display:

1) Noticeable color temperature shift (to blue) at an off angle. Sitting close to display you will notice blue shift on large white areas on the edges of display (unlike VA panels you do not loose brightness or contrast at off angle). JS9000 has the same problem (shifts to red at off angle)

2) It has an unusual pixel layout and ClearType does not work that well on it. The small text is fine and sharp but medium size text (used widely in internet browsers) has a hint of shadow I was never able to get rid of.

Back