LG Announces UltraGear 27GN950 4K UHD Gaming Monitor

erek

[H]F Junkie
"LG's new UltraGear is the ideal all-in-one solution for those who livestream their gaming sessions thanks to its expansive 4K-resolution screen. The generously proportioned display can also be a big advantage for creative professionals when editing high-resolution files or accessing multiple applications simultaneously. What's more, support for 10-bit color depth and hardware calibration gives the monitor the level of color accuracy needed for professional-level video production work.

"Our latest gaming monitor delivers the unrivalled performance consumers have come to expect from LG UltraGear," said Jang Ik-hwan, senior vice president and head of the IT business unit of LG Electronics Business Solutions Company. "UltraGear monitors will continue to push the boundaries of monitor technology, leveraging our advanced IPS 1 ms GTG display technology to take gaming to even greater heights."

The 27GN950 will be the first LG UltraGear monitor to sport the new "wings" emblem designed specifically with victory in gaming in mind. Fans can expect to see the new LG UltraGear starting today in key markets of Europe, North America, Asia and other regions. Check local retailers for price and exact date of availability."

https://www.techpowerup.com/270126/lg-announces-ultragear-27gn950-4k-uhd-gaming-monitor

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
In theory, it's the ideal all-around 4K display -- except for the absence of USB-C, anyway.

I'll admit that I'm more than happy with the output from my 5K iMac, but I'm also not doing any heavy-duty gaming on it.

VA is the way to go IPS has good colors but VA is easier on the eyes and the contrast makes everything pop I just bought an Alienware IPS nice colors but couldnt get used to it I boxed it up tried it again just wasnt for me. LG is all about IPS they use them in their phones and everything else.

1595344587470.png

Small monitors are best 75 inches will ask you where your zip code is and you will forget.

VA is the way to go IPS has good colors but VA is easier on the eyes and the contrast makes everything pop I just bought an Alienware IPS nice colors but couldnt get used to it I boxed it up tried it again just wasnt for me. LG is all about IPS they use them in their phones and everything else.

I'm a VA fan as well. Black is black. Until OLED comes to desktop, I'l stick with VA.

Small monitors are best 75 inches will ask you where your zip code is and you will forget.

Dafuq did you get 75" from? I went from a 43" 4K curved TV, which I thought was about the perfect size for a monitor, but dropped down to my current 34" ultrawide for 120 Hz and G-sync, which is OK, but I miss the real estate and immersion of the 43" for both desktop usage and in games. I have a 65" OLED in my living room and would kill for a 43" version of that, which LG makes a 48" now, but I think 43" is about the max I can go to for my desk and preference as a monitor.

4K seems mostly wasted on a sub 30" panel too IMO. You can barely drive that resolution at 60 Hz even with a 2080Ti and not even fully appreciate it on such a small monitor as you would on something twice that size.

See, as someone who regularly edits photos I wouldn't want to touch VA... black levels notwithstanding, it's just not as accurate.

I'll give you that. I used to edit a ton of photos and had to run some through my iPad to make sure the skin tones were accurate.
My photos usually came out slightly warm. IPS is just too much $ at the moment for high refresh UW gaming.

I just bought the LG 27GL850 as my first high refresh gaming monitor, I have 3 LG 27UK650-w as well. If reviews are good, I am probably going to get 3 so I can having a matching set of monitors again and move my old set to my old workstation and the 27GL850 to the game room.

VA looks like s*** when panning around. I have tried numerous monitors and numerous TVs with VA panels and they all exhibit that exact same behavior.

Here are some examples right here and this was on that HP Omen 1440p monitor that so many people praise.

Last edited:
VA looks like s*** when panning around. I have tried numerous monitors and numerous TVs with VA panels and they all exhibit that exact same behavior.

Here are some examples right here and this was on that HP Omen 1440p monitor that so many people praise.

This looks like the blurring from TAA to me. Got any footage on the same monitor, from a different game? Maybe one which doesn't use TAA?

My concern about monitors is they keep figuring out how to charge more money----while still offering bad black/grey uniformity, backlight uniformity, and you have to trade contrast for viewing angles.

This looks like the blurring from TAA to me. Got any footage on the same monitor, from a different game? Maybe one which doesn't use TAA?
Please read what I said about trying numerous TVs and numerous monitors. That should clue you in that I obviously did not try just one game now. The issue was there in every game I tried but of course it depends on where you're looking in the game because it's more obvious in some spots than others. The same goes for any console games that I tried. That's why it just blows my mind when I see people recommend a VA panel monitor for gaming as in my opinion it's absolute s***.

Yeah, I've realized that there is no perfect monitor. Even the $2,500 ones have some issues from what I've read.

You make the trade-off you want, either for quality or features or price, and find what works best for you.

I've only ever owned 4K TVs, and at 40" it was still hard to see pixels. 27" would be impossible.

Still looking pretty good, though. Nice to see 4K high refresh finally a thing (and I assume LG will have a decent price, they are usually competitive).

See, as someone who regularly edits photos I wouldn't want to touch VA... black levels notwithstanding, it's just not as accurate.

The issue I have with it for games is the black level smearing. VAs have made strides but still have real issues with slow dark-dark transition times which translates to smearing in dark scenes. So if you have a nice bright scene, no problem, same deal if there is bright detail against a dark background. But then you get a darker scene and everything gets all mushy like the LCDs of old when response times sucked.

On balance, I still find IPS to be the best for computer use. Not perfect by any stretch, but the best in terms of tradeoffs. Hopefully mini LED FALD will come to good IPS panels at some point and mitigate the contrast issues.

I've only ever owned 4K TVs, and at 40" it was still hard to see pixels. 27" would be impossible.

Depends on how close you are to the display. You might actually see them easier on a 27" monitor than a TV. I have a 27" monitor (2.5k in my case) and a 65" TV. However because I am so close to the monitor it actually takes up more of my field of view than the 65" TV does.

I should clarify, I was using the 40" TV as a monitor, on my desk maybe 18 inches away.

So, yeah, you could see pixels if you looked from them, but not super obvious.

Isn't that something calibration would take care of?

Also, I can't imagine a washed out low contrast picture with milk smeared over corners being that great for photo editing either.

Also, I can't imagine a washed out low contrast picture with milk smeared over corners being that great for photo editing either.

Calibration can't fix a limited color gamut.

Also, clearly you've never dealt with a high-quality IPS panel... wouldn't call my iMac's screen washed out or uneven. There are other tradeoffs (I wouldn't call it a great gaming panel, and there's no real HDR), but IPS can be done properly.

Calibration can't fix a limited color gamut.
They hit 100% sRGB/DCI-P3, or are you thinking of something else? Off-center contrast, maybe?

Also, clearly you've never dealt with a high-quality IPS panel... wouldn't call my iMac's screen washed out or uneven. There are other tradeoffs (I wouldn't call it a great gaming panel, and there's no real HDR), but IPS can be done properly.
Actually, it was a calibrated Apple Cinema Display 27" clone, so pretty high end as far as IPS PQ goes. And various Eizo, Dell and HP displays. IPS is a poor contrast, abysmal blacks, corner glow technology inherently. You can't fix it or "do it properly" to overcome that. Well, a polarizer helped with the glow, at least, but that was quickly abandoned.

I've had good luck with the LG IPS panels, on my second one and no problems.

I don't care for theoretical color accuracy, but I know my games look good and the colors pop to my eye.

I've had good luck with the LG IPS panels, on my second one and no problems.

I don't care for theoretical color accuracy, but I know my games look good and the colors pop to my eye.

Thats been my experience as well, that and viewing angles for IPS tend to be better. All my screens are a bit off axis and I have tried TN and VA before and the exact way I put my monitors make everything but IPS look really bad.

This is something I used to think. I had two IPS displays on my desk (well, still have, they're still in use elsewhere), and now have two VA displays.

Calibrating IPS is a breeze. One pass, done, even on the Acer Predator.

VA?

I've wasted hours performing long calibration runs. The two VA panels are different, and I can get them neither to calibrate to a standard nor to match each other regardless of standard chosen. I've just given up and am using them as-is, if I need color to be right, I'll use an IPS. Even the ten year old ZR30W hits 100% SRGB.

This is something I used to think. I had two IPS displays on my desk (well, still have, they're still in use elsewhere), and now have two VA displays.

Calibrating IPS is a breeze. One pass, done, even on the Acer Predator.

VA?

I've wasted hours performing long calibration runs. The two VA panels are different, and I can get them neither to calibrate to a standard nor to match each other regardless of standard chosen. I've just given up and am using them as-is, if I need color to be right, I'll use an IPS. Even the ten year old ZR30W hits 100% SRGB.
Coming from trying to calibrate my LCDs to match my CRT, yeah, I believe you it can be a pain with some panels. VAs are probably more hit and miss than IPS for color critical work, but for my use I find their flaws far easier to live with. I am a contrast fetishist, though.

I am a contrast fetishist, though.
I honestly don't see that big of a difference. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places, but LCD contrast on the whole, be it TN / VA / IPS / some variant, all look a little washed out if I really look for contrast.

To wit: I have an OLED in the living room, and I'd still prefer an average IPS to an average VA.

So I guess that I have the opposite preference, where the advantages of VA don't make up for its disadvantages versus IPS?

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Back