LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Sky15

2[H]4U
Good question. I'm stuck trying to decide between the two monitors while I wait for the new Nvidia cards to come out.
Me too man, I've had my Acer Pred X34 for 5 years now, and looking to upgrade to a newer and larger monitor as my primary.

Gatecrasher3000

Limp Gawd
Me too man, I've had my Acer Pred X34 for 5 years now, and looking to upgrade to a newer and larger monitor as my primary.
I too am still running my 5 year old x34, don't get me wrong, there are better/newer options out there, but nothing yet that has really made me think it's time to upgrade.

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
You’re still looking at a year plus before there’s any meaningful upgrades, Announced at CES and 6-12 months after that.

it’ll probably jump a fair bit after that though. Biggest frustration with this screen is bandwidth limitation and crap HDR, we’re now getting screens getting near HDR 1400 specs (ASUS and Apple) and DisplayPort 2 is imminent.

I’d fully expect them to announce a screen at CES that merges that, but it’ll take an age to come out and be first car money. 175Hz plus 5k 2k with 38-43” 21:9 and HDR 1400 would be perfect for me

I massively prefer the form factor of this over my 34 in the office, just in terms of usability, but if I’d had a 34 at home I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

Sky15

2[H]4U
I too am still running my 5 year old x34, don't get me wrong, there are better/newer options out there, but nothing yet that has really made me think it's time to upgrade.
Yea, same here, it's just I want a bigger monitor preferably 38-43".

Gatecrasher3000

Limp Gawd
Yea, same here, it's just I want a bigger monitor preferably 38-43".
Exactly, the CX 48 is a beautiful screen, but who really has the space to put a 48" TV on their desk? I really want to start seeing the 38"-42" options start to increase. I will see if I can get another two-three years out of my x34.

Skott

Supreme [H]ardness
Well LG is increasing OLED production and if the 48CX is a big seller LG (and others) may decide going smaller is not a bad idea and see a market for them. Assuming this all plays out I wouldn't expect smaller than 48" for a couple years at least but you never know. Not this year that's for sure.

What's smoother in games - 1440p 120hz oled or the lg 38" 1600p with hardware gsync?

the LG 38" by far

While the OLED crushes it on picture quality, the LG has a much sharper image with the increased PPI and the 160hz+gsync is like butter

only .....If LG could somehow make an OLED version of the 38" LOL

Murzilka

Gawd
the LG 38" by far

While the OLED crushes it on picture quality, the LG has a much sharper image with the increased PPI and the 160hz+gsync is like butter

damn... thanks. ) The 38" oled monitor is not possible in the foreseeable future I think due to the image retention. LG is definitely not in a hurry to solve this issue. Not as profitable as making small updates to the oled lineup every year and selling it to the market. They have IPSs for the PC users. Although the two markets have started crossing paths lately...

Is CX48 in 4k 4:4:4 noticeably less sharp as well?

dfg67y

n00b
Speaking of wishlists, yes it'd be nice to have more 38" options but now that I've finally settled on a 38GL it'd be nice to see a 42" version, just stretched out the 24:10 some more.

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
the LG 38" by far

Omg, imagine if this LG 38" monitor ever came out with the same specs but in OLED!? it would literally be the bees knees! I would buy it even if it was twice the price of the current LG 38". Lol

rentay

n00b
Is it fine to have say Discord/Telegram/Firefox running on the 2nd monitor whilst gaming? Or should I alternate with 4k videos to keep the pixels moving?

Don't want to get any potential burn in during long gaming sessions

thelead

2[H]4U
Is it fine to have say Discord/Telegram/Firefox running on the 2nd monitor whilst gaming? Or should I alternate with 4k videos to keep the pixels moving?

Don't want to get any potential burn in during long gaming sessions
If you're talking about the 38gl950g, no... it will not burn in. It does not have an OLED panel.

rentay

n00b
If you're talking about the 38gl950g, no... it will not burn in. It does not have an OLED panel.
Yes the 38gl950g
I've read a few conflicting posts on reddit so just wanted to be sure as it is a sizeable investment in these monitors and so far I've been running these for months with zero issues

skuko

Limp Gawd
wait for the alienware. They are going to be coming out with this panel. Should be designated AW3821DW. My only hope is that they will actually have their own implementation of cooling the gsync module instead of this horrific fan.

the901

Limp Gawd
I really like the idea of this LG panel in Dell packaging. I've always had good experiences with Dell. LG has me a bit nervous about their QC and support.