LG 34WK95U

I think when that 38" updated LG panel comes out in 2019 I'll probably be unable to resist.

Too bad...

If I wanted a monitor with burn-in I'd buy a LG OLED TV lol. Actually, I bet the OLED wouldn't even burn-in this fast.

michael-jordan-1995-return-im-back-23-570x259.png

Replace Michael Jordan with "LG 34wk95u"

screen is very slightly less uniform, and maybe very slightly more backlight bleeding compared to the first time, but overall still excellent. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. So pray no burn in this time.

Someone on the OC thread for this monitor has gotten a LG "business" model that has not yet shown any signs of burn in. So there is a chance that it's a bad manufacturing batch. And yes I agree nothing I know of LCD matrices would lead to burn in but the LED backlight could retain a brightness alteration. It's very hard to say that for sure so I wouldn't spend a lot of time speculating. It may simply be something where we have to see more models out there in users hands before we'll find out if this is a one off batch or something fundamental.

I think I found a description of the root cause:

http://lcd.creol.ucf.edu/People/dxu/Publication/JAP Image Sticking.pdf

It is basically parasitic capacitance / charge buildup that prevents the LC from changing state fully. It seems that it only applies to lateral arrangements like IPS / PLS / AHVA and FFS.

However, this paper (co-authored by AU Optronics) seems to indicate the effect should last on the order of minutes. Either way, even if it lasts a long time, it wouldn't be permanent if this is the cause.

Lenovo also has a page dedicated to this issue re: LGs panels first used on the X220 back in 2011. I believe this was the first widespread IPS image retention issue.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gr/en/solutions/ht051485

I do believe that if one panel exhibits this, then all of them will do it to some degree. It's just the way these panels are driven.

I'm not aware of any manufacturing defect that leads to burn-in on an LCD. So, I would hazard a guess that they all do it.

First. That announced LG 38 inch 144hz, Gsync got me excited and wondering if I made the right choice. I already had stated that 34 inch ultrawide is to short for me.

Second: No, this time I have been a lot more careful about keeping stuff on overnight like last time. I made sure the monitor sleeps if I'm not using it for a while.

3rd: more an more people have been reviewing this monitor. Rtings just posted a review for those interested. With a second look at this monitor, I will say I still agree that the picture is fantastic. It is not an OLED so nothing compares to an OLED (or even a plasma and I have both) when it comes to picture quality, contrast ratio, and how it handles motion. What it has is pure clean, can't see the pixels resolution.

4th: Don't buy a PC monitor for HDR, it's just not handle right. First, I tried using chrome netflix, but I don't think that is supported yet. If something isn't specifically HDR, everything just looks worse with it enabled. So don't get your hopes up. The few games that supports it might be the only time you use it in the forseable future and that is too few and far between to justify the large premium. However, having a screen that is bright or have the capabilities to become bright for short scenes have their advantage, even without HDR enabled.

5th: I again tried it with gaming, this time with Valkyria Chronicles 4 and it seems to run just fine on 4K or 5K2K ultrawide. That engine really is a modified version of the PS4 engine so it isn't taxing. Due to the nature of the game, the fact that it is turn base, the advantages of ultrawide over 16:9 really isn't there.

Having said all that, I think a good 32inch 4K with 120 hz gysnc or the 38 inch ultrawide 3840 x1600 with 144hz gysnc, both of which gives you more screen real-estate may be the better option over the purely higher resolution 5K2K ultrawide without any of the other bells and whistles. I believe 2019 will be when versions of these monitors will come out, LG already announced one. 5K2K with gysnc and >100hz will have to wait for HDMI 2.1's increase bandwidth, which may take several years before it is implemented into a product. Look how long it took for displayport 1.4 to become common place.

I read rtings review and they mention an abysmally low 240hz PWM frequency for the backlight. What the hell is LG thinking? This looked like the ideal monitor for me, but that PWM flicker.. ouch. Even the muc maligned 43ud79 had a firmware update that increased PWM frequency to 480Hz IIRC.

LG dropped the ball on this one. I think they need a revision 2 and maybe let some of the other monitor manufacturers take a stab at building monitors based off of it.

DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR!!!!

It suffers from Burn in. Likely this is due to the Nano IPS layer that LG applied to this. This boost the colors, but seem to suffer from burn in. This Nano IPS layer is also going to be inserted in the 34 inch ultrawides and the 32inch 4K monitor that started to come out and slated to come out in the next few months. I'll hold off until then. I'm going to return this to Microcenter in an hour after I pack it back in the box. As you can see from the images, which are best seen when there is a dark grey screen up. I was looking up something on Leveon Bell, and left the monitor on overnight and in the AM, boom burn in. Something that has never occured in LCD, IPS screens from what I know. My Dell U3011 has had many of episodes similar to this to burn in and never has.

Here is the Imgur link to the images.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mPBr5jY

View attachment 116970 View attachment 116971 View attachment 116972 View attachment 116973

This is incorrect. I had older Dell 2209's from 10 years ago which I believe used some unknown Chinese panel which showed temporary "burn in" issues. I've seen other monitors like the 43" Dell 4K without the nano IPS layer show the issue too. On IPS displays in my experience it's always been temporary and not permanent like plasma or OLED burn in.

This is incorrect. I had older Dell 2209's from 10 years ago which I believe used some unknown Chinese panel which showed temporary "burn in" issues. I've seen other monitors like the 43" Dell 4K without the nano IPS layer show the issue too. On IPS displays in my experience it's always been temporary and not permanent like plasma or OLED burn in.

What he said. My Dell 30" ips also shows temporary burn in.

I bought two of these displays in January and have been fighting with burn-in on both of them. The burn-in is particularly bad when the display has a lot of gray on screen and lasts for way more than a few minutes. I've had to run a youtube video that cycles colors for hours to get the burn-in to go away.

Now one of them just got a giant crosshair of dead pixels (one row and one column). LG is saying they'll honor the warranty but it's going to take them 3-5 business days to tell me what service center to send it to, and then 7-10 business days to fix it once they receive it, and they won't offer me a replacement or loaner or anything.

Don't buy this monitor.

MVA panels were notorious for burn back in the 17-21” monitor days (also in TV panels). A couple of recent lenovo touchscreen laptops with IPS panels that I’ve used also have noticeable and quick image retention particularly with the brightness turned on.

Update:

So, I ended buying this display three times; returning it twice; but now have kept it. I will try to update people on some of the key issues that i mentioned back in october.

1. Burn in: It most definitely has image retention; I do not think it is true burn in though. All the image retention eventually goes away after a while; it may take as long as a few hours to a day. The brighter you have the screen; the quicker the retention sets in and the longer it lasts. It is most apparent on a grey screen as shown in my previous pictures.
2. The picture is fantastic; my feelings on this hasn't changed. unless you go to the lg or apple true 5K displays or this fall with apples 6K display, Asus/Acer's 4K 120 hz monitor with real HDR; or other professional display that cost 5 digts; you can't beat this monitor.
3. I just got the 2019 edition of the Macbook pro and the resolution issue that seem to plague the 2018 macbook pros appears to have been fixed. I will caution that statement by saying that I have had my macbook pro for just a few hours so I'm not sure if this will last; but I can update you guys on this.
4. There is and never was any issues with resolution on Windows or Linux (I have tried this on elementary OS and Manjaro) the only issues on linux is that linux scaling is by far the worst out of all the operating systems. elementary os allows pixel double; which kinda sucks as everything is so big; 150% like would be ideal; but that's not available. Using some of the tweak softwares; you can get something akin to 150% but it really just scales some text in some programs; but there are other programs where it simply doesn't work; so it's not the monitor's fault it's just linux needing better support for high pixel density monitors. Manjaro does a slightly better job; but still not perfect. Windows and Mac appear to be perfect without anyone being better than the others; though again; I'm new to mac; and have just gotten my macbook pro.
5. All three of my displays did not have a single dead or stuck pixels and all were good to great with uniformity; the second one being the worst when it came to uniformity and backlight bleeding; the 1st and 3rd appear to be equally excellent.
6. no point in using the local dimming; it just adds a massive column of light wherever the mouse pointer is or wherever light is needed for the screen; it's obvious enough to be distracting. Again; Fake HDR is Fake HDR; this being a bitbetter than the display 400 monitors, but there should be a crackdown on the term HDR as unless it is true 1000 nits and FALD or it's an Oled; it's just not worth it. Apple being the overprice company it is has got it right with it's upcoming display in having it 1000 nits continous with 1600 nits peak and FALD. price is just is just too outrageous.
7. there are a few other companies that are licensing LG's 5K ultrawide display so look for their tweaks; any improvement or overlocking to squeeze out just abit higher refresh rate would be welcomed.
8 with 7 in mind; for non-fast paced games; this is a gorgeous display and ultrawide gaming is really immersive.

... Now one of them just got a giant crosshair of dead pixels (one row and one column). LG is saying they'll honor the warranty but it's going to take them 3-5 business days to tell me what service center to send it to, and then 7-10 business days to fix it once they receive it, and they won't offer me a replacement or loaner or anything.

Don't buy this monitor.
A follow-up: I originally requested the repair on 5/19. It's 6/20 and I have yet to receive my repaired monitor. The status is "Progress" whatever that means. LG's last communication to me was on 6/6 that they received the product. It only took that long to get it to them because it took forever for them to tell me where to send it.

tl;dr Seriously, don't buy this monitor.

Dell's support (the only other time I had a monitor go bad) was, in retrospect, absolutely amazing. Everything other than their leaking my personal information to Indian scam call centers.

A follow-up: I originally requested the repair on 5/19. It's 6/20 and I have yet to receive my repaired monitor. The status is "Progress" whatever that means. LG's last communication to me was on 6/6 that they received the product. It only took that long to get it to them because it took forever for them to tell me where to send it.

tl;dr Seriously, don't buy this monitor.

Dell's support (the only other time I had a monitor go bad) was, in retrospect, absolutely amazing. Everything other than their leaking my personal information to Indian scam call centers.

You mean sending your information down the hall from it's tech support center?

Just resurrecting this old thread - saw MSI had a 5k x 2K screen "MSI Prestige PS341WU " also - I assume this is the same panel with the same burn in issues?

I have the PS341WU and have 0 burn in issues. And I do know what burn in looks like on IPS screens. My old Dell 30" monitors at work had that issue.

In fact, if you're thinking about getting this monitor, do it. It's excellent.

EDIT: It's wasn't really "burn in" though... just image retention. It does go away. Not the end of the world.

Oh interesting thanks - Yes I've had the same Dell 30" with retention issues so I know what that's like. I'm ok with retention just not burn in ;)

Oh interesting thanks - Yes I've had the same Dell 30" with retention issues so I know what that's like. I'm ok with retention just not burn in ;)

I wanted to make a "long term" update to this thread to note that I'm still using this monitor (MSI Prestige PS341WU). I've started getting some more serious retention recently. I don't know if it's due to age or just me marathoning Path of Exile this season, but I've got some bad retention in the bottom corners where the red and blue health and mana globes are at. I also have retention along the bottom from the interface on the game.

Doesn't seem to want to dissipate anymore, like it used to. I haven't changed any settings either. Still running the same brightness, DCI-P3 mode that I've done since the beginning.

I will be keeping track of this and seeing if it continues to get worse, or better.

Back