LG 27MB85R-B new WQHD AH-IPS ?

I'm sorry about the bad quality of the picture. I'll post again when I have the new unit. Also a friend of mine placed an order together with me but he is out of town and I'll be able to check his monitor next week and see if he has better luck.

Happy New Year!

Hi,
some pictures of my monitor 27MB85R (taken by an iPhone ;-) in 100% darkness. It is displaying a black 2560 x 1440 image in full screen.

Is there some bleed ? or glow ? I think there is.
But it doesnt look that bad in "real life".

I am using mini DisplayPort /mac mini/ to DisplayPort

Links deleted - 21.01.2015

-------

Last edited:
Hi,
some pictures of my monitor 27MB85R (taken by an iPhone ;-) in 100% darkness. It is displaying a black 2560 x 1440 image in full screen.

Is there some bleed ? or glow ? I think there is.
But it doesnt look that bad in "real life".

I am using mini DisplayPort /mac mini/ to DisplayPort.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k0y3npy8m4dikn7/AADfTKu63HU-kS2vNwYJIhGDa?dl=0

-------

Looks like very slight bleed that's being exaggerated by camera overexposure.

Bleed is always more apparent in the dark and when the brightness of the monitor is cranked, so definitely try lowering your brightness or calibrating it via included software. I typically recommend 120 cd/m2 as the target brightness, but you could even go lower than that if you wish.

As always, thanks so much for pictures. How are you liking the monitor otherwise?

Also, if you could, let us know your unit's manufacture date and where you purchased it from.

Looks like very slight bleed that's being exaggerated by camera overexposure.

Bleed is always more apparent in the dark and when the brightness of the monitor is cranked, so definitely try lowering your brightness or calibrating it via included software. I typically recommend 120 cd/m2 as the target brightness, but you could even go lower than that if you wish.

///

Yes, its very slight bleed. I really dont see it without the camera so it does not bother me.

My brightness is set to 45, contrast 70, R 50, G 50, B 50. Any advice on this settings? What should I change? I dont have access to hardware calibration. I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

The monitor was produced in June/July 2014.

I really, really like it. It looks nice (mate finish), the stand is big and stable.
And I am coming from an iMac which has had a terrible backlight bleed and was accumulating dust under the screen ;)

Last edited:
Yes, its very slight bleed. I really dont see it without the camera so it does not bother me.

My brightness is set to 45, contrast 70, R 50, G 50, B 50. Any advice on this settings? What should I change? I dont have access to hardware calibration. I am using OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

The monitor was produced in June/July 2014.

45 brightness is very high, so that should definitely be dropped down a large amount.

Try giving my settings a go:

RGB Gain: R 46; G 48; B 58
Brightness: 0

This isn't a real calibration as each unit can be different, but that should hopefully give you white point closer to 6500k and brightness closer to 120 cd/m2.

Also, glad you like it. :)

Would the LG 27MB85Z (with the wider gamut) be a better option for photo editing?

I'm torn between this (either the 27MB85R or the Z) and the AOC Q2770Pqu. While I know the LG is the better display overall, it's not available locally, warranty will likely be an issue (considering a few have posted issues with dead pixels this could be a deal breaker) and it's at least €200 more expensive to import it.

Do you think the difference in quality is worth the price? I'm currently using an LG M2362D, so either of these monitors will be a huge (huge!!) update.

Thanks!

P.S. be kind this is my first post on hardforum :).

I have the same issue on BL3201PH (32" 4K BenQ) Monitor.

Replacement is suppose to arrive this week.

Mine has it on the right bottom side. (yellowish - ugly looking)

Would the LG 27MB85Z (with the wider gamut) be a better option for photo editing?

If you currently using the 23" LG TN no, and no if you do not intend to calibrate the monitor (need an i1 display pro colorimeter) and work with the Adobe RGB colour space.

Could someone pls explain why the yellow gradient is present on the right side in the pictures.

Those photos are extremely overexposed, inaccurate and misleading to the uninformed. Example of useful photos:

Lights On
Lights Off

Last edited:
Could someone pls explain why the yellow gradient is present on the right side in the pictures.

So there is glow on the left side and bleed on the right side of the monitor?

That would be correct, but your pictures are very overexposed as NCX pointed out. If the bleed isn't noticeable outside of using a camera with high ISO settings then it's not something you should concern yourself over.

I'm torn between this (either the 27MB85R or the Z) and the AOC Q2770Pqu. While I know the LG is the better display overall, it's not available locally, warranty will likely be an issue (considering a few have posted issues with dead pixels this could be a deal breaker) and it's at least €200 more expensive to import it.

Do you think the difference in quality is worth the price? I'm currently using an LG M2362D, so either of these monitors will be a huge (huge!!) update.

Thanks!

P.S. be kind this is my first post on hardforum :).

Dead pixels can afflict any monitor, but I feel your pain in regards to warranty and returns.

As NCX said though, it would absolutely not be worth it for you to purchase the Z variant of this monitor. If you're looking for something delay free then I recommend checking out the newer Asus PB278QR (make sure there's an R at the end) which uses an AHVA panel and has low input lag like the LG, but is marred by slightly worse color presets and an inability to use the custom color controls without a drop in contrast.

The AOC will perform fine, but I hated it for reason(s) that I've already discussed in this thread.

Last edited:
Those photos are extremely overexposed, inaccurate and misleading to the uninformed. Example of useful photos:

Lights On
Lights Off

Hi,
I have deleted these old photos.

Uploaded new ones, pls take a look.

Camera settings:

f/2, shutter 1/8, ISO 1600 (in auto mode) - for the f2 photos
f/4, shutter 1/40, ISO 3200 - for the f4 photos
f/5, shutter 1/25, ISO 800 - for the f5 photo

What do you think? Should I change the camera settings?

Links deleted - 21.01.2015

---------------

Last edited:
recently bought the same display and I was really happy with it. I think it has slight bleeding, but it doesnt bother me much. Last night I discovered that it makes a very high pitched buzz and it's directly related to brightness. at 100% it's basically not there and at 0% it's really annoying in quiet moments. Is this normal? Should I send it back to shop under warranty? whats the probability they'd fix it or that I'd get a new one without the problem? It's really frustrating since I love it otherwise. :(

recently bought the same display and I was really happy with it. I think it has slight bleeding, but it doesnt bother me much. Last night I discovered that it makes a very high pitched buzz and it's directly related to brightness. at 100% it's basically not there and at 0% it's really annoying in quiet moments. Is this normal? Should I send it back to shop under warranty? whats the probability they'd fix it or that I'd get a new one without the problem? It's really frustrating since I love it otherwise. :(

I haven't encountered such an issue on my current unit, nor the two other I owned. I recommend asking for an exchange if the store you bought it from is [hopefully] no-hassle on their return policy.

What's the manufacturer's date of your unit (on the back)?

it's august 2014. The shop said that they'll send it to LG and it's up to them to decide what to do.

it's august 2014. The shop said that they'll send it to LG and it's up to them to decide what to do.

I believe you're the first person to report on a model from August. My first unit dated September actually had a strange flickering issue that I haven't heard happen to anyone else, granted every other person that's posted has a June/July version. Regardless, I'm sorry your unit isn't in the best condition :(.

Where did you purchase it from out of curiosity?

Please keep us updated on your unit if you do opt for the return/exchange.

I bought it from a local store in Estonia http://www.galador.ee/. It's a rather trustworthy place compared to other shops. Going to use the display till tomorrow probably and then try to get it exchanged. Hoped to sell my u2311h on friday, but I guess I have to hold on to it a while longer :/

recently bought the same display and I was really happy with it. I think it has slight bleeding, but it doesnt bother me much. Last night I discovered that it makes a very high pitched buzz and it's directly related to brightness. at 100% it's basically not there and at 0% it's really annoying in quiet moments. Is this normal? (

I have noticed it too.
The sound (buzz) is very faint. You have to move your ear near the monitor to hear it.
Its more pronounced when the brightness is at 0%,

sojer, what is your manufacturing date?

June 2014.
When the brightness is above ~ 50 % there is no buzzing. Going down from 50% its more and more audible, maxed at 0%. Is my unit faulty too? Maybe its a normal hum from electronic parts inside? Hmmm?

Last edited:
June 2014.
When the brightness is above ~ 50 % there is no buzzing. Going down from 50% its more and more audible, maxed at 0%. Is my unit faulty too? Maybe its a normal hum from electronic parts inside? Hmmm?

Interesting, I definitely don't have this issue at all with September's model.

------------------

I'm really dumb.

Spotted this picture today:
ibyJcwdIniHUEs.png

I realized that the default sharpness of this monitor is way too low which causes this picture to display both 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, so I promptly raised the sharpness. Raising the sharpness to 7 causes the picture to display only 4:4:4 as it's intended and it removes the flickering from the green magenta test.

Raising the sharpness to 6 also removes the flickering, but the 4:2:2 remains. Either way, all users I recommend changing your sharpness to 6 or 7 (use your own discretion here; if 7 is too sharp go down to 6.)

Sharpness can be found under the "Picture" setting in the OSD.

Raising the sharpness doesn't even appear to add any type of image noise, so I can't fathom LG's decision to default the sharpness too low. I can't even fathom how I didn't notice earlier; I'm blind, clearly.

Last edited:
I thought something was fishy :D some icons were abit bit blurry or weird compared to my dell. Now it's nice at 7 ^^

I thought something was fishy :D some icons were abit bit blurry or weird compared to my dell. Now it's nice at 7 ^^

Yeah, I can't even look at sharpness 5 now.

I must be blind. I've had the monitor for a little under a month and only just noticed? Jeez.

Updated my post on page one with the sharpness setting.

June 2014.
Might be due to different electrical standards in Europe. The transformer is probably what's buzzing.

...I realized that the default sharpness of this monitor is way too low which causes this picture to display both 4:4:4 and 4:2:2, so I promptly raised the sharpness. Raising the sharpness to 7 causes the picture to display only 4:4:4 as it's intended...

Hey, if I can see both sets of numbers on my laptop screen (on which I'm viewing this), does that mean its sharpness is too low...too?

Greetings all. Replacement arrived today. Fired it up -- brightness was at 100. Ouch. Dialed that down. Let it warm for an hour under some rolling screensavers while I prepared dinner. Came back, gave it a cursory inspection. So far it just looks lovely.

Manufactured: November 2014. May be a couple days before I report back with more substantive info.

Been eyeing this monitor for awhile now. Sadly it's hard to find in stock and/or for less than $600 lately.

Very curious to see where the whole g/freesync stuff goes as a gamer, but outside of that kind of feature this monitor seems to be king at 27".

I know what you mean. I wanted to buy it when it was just over $500 from B&H in late December, but couldn't order it for delivery since I was going to be away on vacation for another week. The price crept back up to almost $600 by the time I got home. :p

Hey, if I can see both sets of numbers on my laptop screen (on which I'm viewing this), does that mean its sharpness is too low...too?

Greetings all. Replacement arrived today. Fired it up -- brightness was at 100. Ouch. Dialed that down. Let it warm for an hour under some rolling screensavers while I prepared dinner. Came back, gave it a cursory inspection. So far it just looks lovely.

Manufactured: November 2014. May be a couple days before I report back with more substantive info.

I actually don't know why the 4:2:2 shows up.

4:2:2 is quite a ways less sharp than 4:4:4, but both are visible to us, so I'd wager that the sharpness is just too low considering we know our monitors/devices are running 4:4:4.

Again, I don't really know, but here's a post from some guy experiencing the same thing on a TV.

Also, it's good to hear that your replacement is in excellent condition. There's no rush, so update us whenever you have time.

I've been looking into getting myself a good IPS monitor and it was between the "New" Asus PB278Q with the new AHVA panel, or the new BenQ AH-IPS monitor.

After checking them out at a retail store. I found the difference to be very small in terms of Panel AG coating and after reading some reviews on both of the monitors. But I was able to get a PB278Q for a better price and lucked out on it being pixel perfect with minimal to none ips glow.

The biggest down side of the BenQ was the OSD controls. But other then that it's a good monitor. The Asus is much better if you're looking for a nice gimmick free monitor. And the new AHVA panel in the PB278Q is the fastest IPS monitor you're going to get compared to a 60hz TN panel. In fact the new Asus PB278Q is amazing for a IPS 60hz 2560x1440P monitor.

I know allot of people are holding off for a good 144hz monitor at that resolution. But if you need a good monitor for gaming now rather then a year from now once all the kinks are worked out. The new Asus PB278Q AHVA is the best 2560X1440P for gaming and photo work alike.

The AG coating is semi glossy and much better then the old version with the PLS Samsung panel. The input lag is less then half a frame and the response time is 5-8 ms depending on the review.

So after using this monitor for a month now. I've not yet been able to find anything but good reviews and I just wish I could have more time to play games on it. Going from a 23" TN panel to this 27" IPS monitor. It's amazing. And it's crazy seeing great colors over the whole monitor even when I change my point of view.

Living in Hawaii it's always a issue getting a monitor. But I got this after seeing it and comparing it the looking at the reviews of each monitor. Then got it off of the egg for $399 and I try to never order monitors online due to returns and shipping dmg. But it was worth it overall as it's $600 here and tax.

Overall I got myself a monitor that would sell in the $800 range that's pixel perfect and is one of the best ips monitors you can get for gaming and photo editing. So I'm pretty happy with this buy.

The Gigabyte AMD R9 290 OC Edition, drives this monitor like it was made for it. I get 60fps in BF4 using the new omega driver. And it also plays everything else at 60 fps with ease. The only time I've seen it go below is in ArcheAge in big PvP battles.

Alright, everyone. You now know what to get if you're looking for the best monitor for the money. So why wait any longer? I waited and found it's not worth it. But if you do have a 1440p monitor you don't like due to input lag and no height adjustment. Sell it and grab the new Asus PB278Q 2015 and late 2014.

The way to tell you're getting the new version is the buttons are all the same. No icon above them besides a circle over each button. And the box doesn't say PLS anymore.

I know egg was still selling the old models 2 months ago. But once they started selling the new model the price went up by $69 bucks. But you're best bet is to buy local if you can get it for under $500 but if not just get it online and if you get a bad one. Just rma and order a new one that same day. And call to get free shipping as they will comp you if you call most of the time. I wasn't going to pay $52 dollars for shipping just because the first monitor they sent was the old model.

I don't fully understand the post above me, but the Asus PB278QR is in no way superior to the LG; quite the opposite, in fact.

How so? Side by side and if you check out the reviews it is a great monitor. And it's even better once calibrated.

How so? Side by side and if you check out the reviews it is a great monitor. And it's even better once calibrated.

Which is still inferior to the LG.

NCX has the only review of the Asus PB278QR and recommends the LG over it as the LG has superior color reproduction/contrast and is also delay-free. Though, had you actually attempted to read through the playwares review you'd already know this.

The Asus PB278QR is a fine monitor if someone wants a delay-free 1440p and cannot find the LG for a reasonable price. It's also in a way, pretty difficult to calibrate as "When the colour controls are unlocked (switch the Colour Temperature setting from Warm to User), the colour accuracy and contrast are reduced to the point of ruining the image quality."

So like I said, I don't fully understand the intent of your post.

Guys I got the replacement! The new one is MFG: November 2014 and it's much better! I like it a lot! I'm lucky that I got the new revision for $500 :)

Guys I got the replacement! The new one is MFG: November 2014 and it's much better! I like it a lot! I'm lucky that I got the new revision for $500 :)

Nice. The November models are sounding pretty well great.

I wanted to buy a second one, but with the price increase I decided to replace my TV instead - ah, well.

Based on how Nikyo's previous experiences with bad monitors paralleled mine, I'm now deliberating on whether to try this or the P2715Q when one of the two goes below $600. The big tradeoff going UHD right now is the increased input lag.

got a call from warranty today. They said that backlight bleeding is normal and LG only tests it in a bright room. They haven't gotten to diagnosing the buzzing sound yet. I'm not too hopeful. Tomorrow is the 14th day after the arrival of the display so I might use my right to get a refund if they muck abut too much.

E: The tech didn't hear the noise. I guess it is because a) the noise is too high pitched and he is too old b) shitty hearing c) problem is only with my pc or because of DP d) ive got shitty electric system at home e) he didn't lower the brightness like I asked him to bring out the problem. He also said if anything is causing a problem it's probably the PSU so he ordered a new one. If that doesn't work I'll try to get a refund.

Last edited:
Dead pixels can afflict any monitor, but I feel your pain in regards to warranty and returns.

As NCX said though, it would absolutely not be worth it for you to purchase the Z variant of this monitor. If you're looking for something delay free then I recommend checking out the newer Asus PB278QR (make sure there's an R at the end) which uses an AHVA panel and has low input lag like the LG, but is marred by slightly worse color presets and an inability to use the custom color controls without a drop in contrast.

The AOC will perform fine, but I hated it for reason(s) that I've already discussed in this thread.

Thanks for your help/feedback. I've managed to find a retailer that will import the monitor for me. Is there any difference between the LG 27MB85R-B and the 27MB85R (no B)?

Thanks.

Based on how Nikyo's previous experiences with bad monitors paralleled mine, I'm now deliberating on whether to try this or the P2715Q when one of the two goes below $600. The big tradeoff going UHD right now is the increased input lag.

Hopefully a few decent reviews of the P2715Q start popping up.

I think my biggest qualm with going UHD at that size would probably be scaling under windows right now.

Edit: =DEAD= apparently did a review of the Asus PB279Q, which could be using the same panel as the P2715Q. It appears he didn't find the matte coating to be grain-free on this one.

got a call from warranty today. They said that backlight bleeding is normal and LG only tests it in a bright room. They haven't gotten to diagnosing the buzzing sound yet. I'm not too hopeful. Tomorrow is the 14th day after the arrival of the display so I might use my right to get a refund if they muck abut too much.

E: The tech didn't hear the noise. I guess it is because a) the noise is too high pitched and he is too old b) shitty hearing c) problem is only with my pc or because of DP d) ive got shitty electric system at home e) he didn't lower the brightness like I asked him to bring out the problem. He also said if anything is causing a problem it's probably the PSU so he ordered a new one. If that doesn't work I'll try to get a refund.

It's actually interesting to hear that they only test them in bright rooms; make sense, but interesting nonetheless.

I do think there's a high possibility that it's buzzing due to the different electrical standards (I'm assuming you have the North American version) between North America and Europe, like BearOso said.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck with the new PSU.

Thanks for your help/feedback. I've managed to find a retailer that will import the monitor for me. Is there any difference between the LG 27MB85R-B and the 27MB85R (no B)?

Thanks.

I believe the B is just a region version, so they're certainly the same.

Last edited:
new call, the parts aren't available currently. If they can't get them in 2 weeks, I'll get a new monitor. More waiting...

Back