LG 27MB85R-B new WQHD AH-IPS ?

Hi HF I recently bought the monitor discussed in this thread, well the 27MB85Z variant that has the Thunderbolt input and Adobe RGB support, as that was the best value model available in the UK - paid £400 and bought from laptopsdirect.co.uk

Unfortunately I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with the monitor and was hoping to get some advice on what to do - this thread has been very helpful so far in getting real-world info on the monitor.

I wanted an IPS 1440p monitor to go with my new desktop and I came down to a decision between the LG and the Asus PB278QR. The Asus initially looked great but I was discouraged by some reviews that said colour accuracy was severely reduced when unlocking the user mode to use different settings than the default colour profiles, and when using the Displayport input. Combining this with some of the extra features of the LG - Adobe RGB support, dedicated external calibrator connection, gamma adjustment and USB3 ports I bought the LG as it was only £40 more than the Asus.

First problem I noticed with the LG is what appears to be a high frequency flicker across the whole screen, which is more pronounced when it is displaying lighter colours. It's not an occasional flicker, almost like the visual equivalent of a buzz. As I understand it PWM would be the most likely thing that would cause this what with PWM working by cycling the backlight on and off at a high frequency to achieve different levels of brightness. LG advertise this monitor - both the B and Z variants - as having a 'Flicker safe' feature that 'reduces flicker levels almost to zero'. Find it interesting it says 'almost' here. Despite saying that it doesn't say whether PWM is used or not on the product page on LG's website, and I did contact LG to ask them, the customer service rep that replied said she'd looked at the technical data but it didn't say whether PWM was used or not. I would have thought it wouldn't use PWM considering the 'Flicker safe' claim made but I did read a review of the same model by Prad which I understand is a respectable source, and this review states that PWM is used by this monitor, they even measured the frequency at a certain brightness level. Here is the link, can be translated into English: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-lg-27mb85z-b-teil12.html

It seems disappointing that a high-end monitor advertised as 'Flicker safe' uses a technique that is commonly known to cause a flickerering sensation that whilst isn't perceived by everyone, is certainly something I can see on the monitor and it strains my eyes. I wonder if any forum members have experienced this or have tested the monitor in any way for PWM?

The Asus PB278QR product page on the Asus website also advertises a similar flicker reduction feature, but here they specifically state that monitor uses 'DC backlight dimming' which must not be PWM. So far I am considering returning the LG and seeing if the retailer will swap it for the Asus model which they also sell. I'm just wondering how much of a downgrade that will be, considering the LG seemed better specced.

The other issue I have with the LG is that the top left quadrant of the screen has a distinct yellow tint to it. If I'm looking at a document / web page with a largely white background the rest of the screen shows this as a cool white whilst this top left part of the screen shows it as a yellow-ish white. This is present at all brightness levels in all of the colour profiles / modes. I'm wondering if this may be caused by backlight bleed?

The only other things to mention are that out of the box, text seemed very blurred with the monitor but this thread quickly provided the answer to that - bump the sharpness up from the default 5 to 6 or 7. Also, compared to my previous monitor - a 1080p AOC l2769VM which whilst having an IPS screen is not exactly a pro model - in the default Custom mode the LG's colour appeared signifcantly warmer whilst in sRGB mode it seemed significantly cooler and looked washed out. I'm using the AOC as a secondary monitor so it's easy to directly compare to the LG sitting next to it. I know sRGB mode is meant to have the best accuracy, it's just a shame that I had to fiddle with the colour temperature in Custom mode to get the colours looking as pleasant as my far more basic & cheaper AOC monitor, not to mention the sharpness. All these things are disappointing with a monitor that seems to be so highly rated and is certainly not cheap.

So all in all I'm trying to decide if replacing the LG with the Asus PB278QR is my best option. I know there will be certain features I will lose but I'm not a professional so Adobe RGB mode won't be a loss to me. The yellow tint I experience on the top left of the screen may be something that can be fixed by LG but if it is PWM that is causing the flickering, that's not something that can be fixed being inherent in the design.

Apologies for the long post! Would appreciate any input from other owners of this monitor that have had it longer than me - I've had mine for a week - to see if there's anything I can do to fix these issues, or how it would compare to the Asus. Cheers!

I got a replacement from Newegg for the first one I bought, which had uniformity issues and dead pixels.

The replacement is excellent. Minimal glow, no bleed. Pixel perfect, excellent uniformity. The only thing that would make this monitor better would be freesync from 30 to 60fps. The response times are amazing for IPS. Blur/trailing is difficult to detect using testufo

Thanks LG!

Thread necro time. I have a Eizo EV2736W whose corner bleed is really bothering me. I have a Dell S2716DG being delivered today to try out; I've not owned a TN monitor before outside of the office and wanted to try one out for gaming as I'm sick to death of the IPS corner glow of this Eizo. If I can't live with the Dell I am heavily considering this monitor, because as far as I know this is the best 27" IPS available out there. (I'm not going to touch the 144 Hz IPS monitors due to QA/QC issues).

How is everyone still liking theirs? I'm worried about playing panel lottery with the LG, if it's anything like Eizo where the first batch of panels were awesome and then quietly swapped the later versions with inferior panels. I know NCX still considers this the best 60 Hz, 27" IPS display out there.

Thread necro time. I have a Eizo EV2736W whose corner bleed is really bothering me. I have a Dell S2716DG being delivered today to try out; I've not owned a TN monitor before outside of the office and wanted to try one out for gaming as I'm sick to death of the IPS corner glow of this Eizo. If I can't live with the Dell I am heavily considering this monitor, because as far as I know this is the best 27" IPS available out there. (I'm not going to touch the 144 Hz IPS monitors due to QA/QC issues).

How is everyone still liking theirs? I'm worried about playing panel lottery with the LG, if it's anything like Eizo where the first batch of panels were awesome and then quietly swapped the later versions with inferior panels. I know NCX still considers this the best 60 Hz, 27" IPS display out there.

Mine is still great. Just make sure you get it from a place that has a no hassle return policy in case you get a dead pixel you can't tolerate.

Amazon has the display, but it's offered by third parties so I'm not certain if the hassle-free policy applies. B&H carry the unit as well, but they want $150 more and their shipping prices aren't nearly as attractive as Amazon, however their return/exchange policy is pretty good.

Amazon has the display, but it's offered by third parties so I'm not certain if the hassle-free policy applies. B&H carry the unit as well, but they want $150 more and their shipping prices aren't nearly as attractive as Amazon, however their return/exchange policy is pretty good.

Got mine from Newegg. I signed up for the 3 months of premier, for free returns. I'm glad I did, as the first one had a handful of dead pixels. Second one is flawless!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05632&cm_re=lg_27mb85r-_-24-005-632-_-Product

Soooo I actually went ahead and bought one of these. I need a new 1440p monitor and I honestly don't care about the current clusterf**k of Gsync/Freesync/120Hz/144Hz/4k monitors that are out right now. Hopefully I'll get a good one.

Soooo I actually went ahead and bought one of these. I need a new 1440p monitor and I honestly don't care about the current clusterf**k of Gsync/Freesync/120Hz/144Hz/4k monitors that are out right now. Hopefully I'll get a good one.

If I didn't care about adaptive sync, I would have gotten this or the Dell U2715H a long time ago.

Monitor just came in. So far, so good. I don't see any obvious dead pixels. Switching the color preset to sRGB and the sharpness to 7 definitely helps a lot.

I'm definitely interested in this monitor. $400 from amazon. Is the panel too bright or is the minimal setting pretty good for later night sessions?

I'm definitely interested in this monitor. $400 from amazon. Is the panel too bright or is the minimal setting pretty good for later night sessions?

I just bought a second one of these, lowest IPS glow I've seen on any IPS monitor. If you don't need Gsync/Freesync I'd say this is the best 1440p gaming monitor on the market. The brightness is fine unless you're in a very dark room. I keep mine around 15/100 on the brightness, 70 contrast, 7 sharpness and middle response time. The uniformity compensation works well, but I don't even use it on one of the two I own.

Reactions: jamor
like this
I just bought a second one of these, lowest IPS glow I've seen on any IPS monitor. If you don't need Gsync/Freesync I'd say this is the best 1440p gaming monitor on the market. The brightness is fine unless you're in a very dark room. I keep mine around 15/100 on the brightness, 70 contrast, 7 sharpness and middle response time. The uniformity compensation works well, but I don't even use it on one of the two I own.

Thanks for the info. I have kind of sensitive eyes and like to use my monitor late at night so hopefully it isn't an issue. I ordered it as it seems like the perfect monitor for me. I don't care about gsync. I guess 120 hz might be nicer but I just don't care. I only play Dota 2 and 60hz works great for me and my GTX 770 will be plenty.

I ordered one from Amazon but I'm waiting for it to come back in stock. I usually have bad luck on monitor purchases (dead pixels every time!) so hopefully I get a perfect one this time

I just bought it. Pixels are all perfect. My settings are 0 brightness, 70 contrast, 7 sharpness, sRGB, middle response. Picture quality is awesome! There is just one thing - it is too bright for my taste. At least now coming from U2713HM gives me such impression because I am used to darker screen. I also checked some online calibration check sites and it seems to have top quality. Monitor is manufactured in Sept. 2015 by the way.

So videos and computer games are overall a bit too bright for my taste right now. If watch any video that should show me dark background, I see rather greyish. If I sit in front of monitor and set black background, I see some light coming from corners and general background glow, but it is not disturbing. Display can so really deep and nice blacks.

One minor issue for me is the fact display cannot be rotated over horizontal axis. So I have to move whole monitor by stand when going to watch from other spots than desk. And there is no cable management hole on stand. Other than that, really great monitor. Not sure I will keep it because that brighness is somewhat annoying.

Last edited:
I just bought it. Pixels are all perfect. My settings are 0 brightness, 70 contrast, 7 sharpness, sRGB, middle response. Picture quality is awesome! There is just one thing - it is too bright for my taste. At least now coming from U2713HM gives me such impression because I am used to darker screen. I also checked some online calibration check sites and it seems to have top quality. Monitor is manufactured in Sept. 2015 by the way.

So videos and computer games are overall a bit too bright for my taste right now. If watch any video that should show me dark background, I see rather greyish. If I sit in front of monitor and set black background, I see some light coming from corners and general background glow, but it is not disturbing. Display can so really deep and nice blacks.

One minor issue for me is the fact display cannot be rotated over horizontal axis. So I have to move whole monitor by stand when going to watch from other spots than desk. And there is no cable management hole on stand. Other than that, really great monitor. Not sure I will keep it because that brighness is somewhat annoying.

Turn on the uniformity compensation... it might dim it a little more.

Also, consider a bias light.

Hello,

I am owner of LG 27MB85R. i want to calibrate my screen. I have installed TrueColorFinder.

The problem is when i try to open TrueColorFinder.

I take the bellow message

Please check the USB cable connection between your monitor and PC. If it is connected correctly, please reconnect the USB cable to a different USB port.

What is happening ??

I use Win 10 64 bit

Back