Lexus Navigation Systems Are Acting Up Nationwide

HardOCP News

[H] News
Most people think this is just a simple problem with Lexus' navigation system but smart people know that this is just the first step in the machine's war against humanity. Mark my words, we are all going to die.

As upgraded systems bring cars closer to other connected devices, it's inevitable that they suffer from some similar issues. Today many Lexus owners were afflicted by a problem that saw their head units stuck in some kind of reboot loop. Derik Gutowski posted a video of the sequence on YouTube, showing it start to boot before showing a purple screen and then beginning the cycle again.

I could see hackers taking over your self driving car in the future and demanding money by threatening you with death at 150mph. Could you imagine if they shutdown all the police cars and robbed 7 banks at once in Los Angeles? Hell what if one crushed you to death with an adjustable seat and then set off your airbag to finish you off?

(I know this article is about a software issue and rebooting a $40,000 car by removing and installing the battery cable.)

Am I the only one whose noticed that the new Lexus' are all starting to look a lot like the Cyclons from the Original BSG?
And I hear they are working on making them all autonomous...
(Do you WANT Cylons?! 'Cause that's how you get Cylons!)

Am I the only one whose noticed that the new Lexus' are all starting to look a lot like the Cyclons from the Original BSG?
The trend in automakers to use a "corporate face" on all their vehicles really bothers me. Even when I see a Q50, IS 350, or anything else from Lexus up close and in person I still wouldn't be able to tell you the difference without looking at the badging on the back. All of their cars look exactly the same to me.

Seeing this doesn't surprise me at all.

I used to shake my head at guys like my dad when they complained about electronics, sensors and computers being added to cars. I just thought they were stuck in the "good old" days. But now that I have experienced random electronic window, lock, factory radio, bluetooth, and remote start issues with numerous newer vehicles I understand what he was worried about.

I absolutely hate the unpredictable nature of fly-by-wire throttles and new transmission computers that randomly decide not to downshift quickly, when you suddenly need to accelerate to get out of some idiot's way. Software issues and computers making bad decisions for the driver are only going to get much worse from here on out. My dad was right all along.

Once self driving cars are the norm. A thief wont even have to leave home to steal a car.
Wouldn't that be convenient. Your automated home loads your precious valuables into the car, then the car drives off with the goodies. It then convinces your stove to set fire to your house, in order to provide a distraction.

All while iMom babysits your children...
Damn it Steve... you ticked my robot "fear" again

Wouldn't that be convenient. Your automated home loads your precious valuables into the car, then the car drives off with the goodies. It then convinces your stove to set fire to your house, in order to provide a distraction.

I noticed that Lexus looks dated in 1-2 years like any Toyota. And that new front grill is hideous even today.

I absolutely hate the unpredictable nature of fly-by-wire throttles and new transmission computers that randomly decide not to downshift quickly, when you suddenly need to accelerate to get out of some idiot's way. Software issues and computers making bad decisions for the driver are only going to get much worse from here on out. My dad was right all along.

The only reason a car wouldn't shift down is because it is near it's redline if it does. If you add in downshift time + Time in lower gear + upshift time to same gear you are worse off then if you stayed in the same gear and kept it floored, even with the torque loss.

As much as I hate to admit this, and I do LOVE manuals on sports cars, automatics have caught up on the track in terms of overall performance. It takes a tremendously skilled driver to get more out of a manual transmission in terms of lap time. I hate the fact that an auto can't downblip / dsg me two gears < 1 second before a hairpin, but whatever. A computer controlled auto is still a great choice when properly tuned to the car engines output.

The only reason a car wouldn't shift down is because it is near it's redline if it does. If you add in downshift time + Time in lower gear + upshift time to same gear you are worse off then if you stayed in the same gear and kept it floored, even with the torque loss.

As much as I hate to admit this, and I do LOVE manuals on sports cars, automatics have caught up on the track in terms of overall performance. It takes a tremendously skilled driver to get more out of a manual transmission in terms of lap time. I hate the fact that an auto can't downblip / dsg me two gears < 1 second before a hairpin, but whatever. A computer controlled auto is still a great choice when properly tuned to the car engines output.

I wasn't at redline and it doesn't matter which car/truck I drive. I have had 6 brand new vehicles in the past decade, plus a used Audi A4 and I have driven countless other vehicles. Trust me when I say new software driven auto cars are insanely erratic and often unpredictable.

Try this is any new toque converter based auto or dual clutch in auto mode:

1) Find a parking lot that is lower than the street next to it, that you can turn right onto. (NO TRAFFIC! because this will scare you).
2) Pull up to the street, you should be now sitting on an incline.
3) Pull out onto the street, at a typical pace to turn right and merge. Now imagine someone suddenly sped up and is coming up very quickly on your left, and that your only option is to accelerate out onto the road before they hit you.
4) Try to accelerate out quickly (not like a maniac, just faster than normal) and turn right on the street.
5) Repeat this several times

You are going to find sometimes the car will randomly pick one of these options or do something similar:
1) Sit for a moment and slowly move you away
2) Suddenly drop to a low gear after a few moments and launch you at high speed
3) Move you at an expected speed part way through the turn then suddenly change gears and peel away

I have experienced all of these on countless new cars and I'm far from the only one. The computer does not do the same thing every time.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I wasn't at redline and it doesn't matter which car/truck I drive. I have had 6 brand new vehicles in the past decade, plus a used Audi A4 and I have driven countless other vehicles. Trust me when I say new software driven auto cars are insanely erratic and often unpredictable.

Try this is any new toque converter based auto or dual clutch in auto mode:

1) Find a parking lot that is lower than the street next to it, that you can turn right onto. (NO TRAFFIC! because this will scare you).
2) Pull up to the street, you should be now sitting on an incline.
3) Pull out onto the street, at a typical pace to turn right and merge. Now imagine someone suddenly sped up and is coming up very quickly on your left, and that your only option is to accelerate out onto the road before they hit you.
4) Try to accelerate out quickly (not like a maniac, just faster than normal) and turn right on the street.
5) Repeat this several times

You are going to find sometimes the car will randomly pick one of these options or do something similar:
1) Sit for a moment and slowly move you away
2) Suddenly drop to a low gear after a few moments and launch you at high speed
3) Move you at an expected speed part way through the turn then suddenly change gears and peel away

I have experienced all of these on countless new cars and I'm far from the only one. The computer does not do the same thing every time.

He didn't say you were at the redline, he pointed out that in the scenario you described it's possible that the vehicle would have been at the redline if it had downshifted. The computer doesn't do the same thing every time because you probably aren't at the same rpm and throttle position. Yes, even 300rpm matters when the mapping for when to shift is something that is pre-set and out of your hands. The software is predictable, the scenario you gave is erratic. In my own vehicle with an automatic if I were to do the same thing you described, I would also grab the stick and switch it to S mode(whatever the hell the S is supposed to mean) and at that point the transmission will behave in the way that I need, at that particular time. Then drop it back to regular drive once done.

He didn't say you were at the redline, he pointed out that in the scenario you described it's possible that the vehicle would have been at the redline if it had downshifted. The computer doesn't do the same thing every time because you probably aren't at the same rpm and throttle position. Yes, even 300rpm matters when the mapping for when to shift is something that is pre-set and out of your hands. The software is predictable, the scenario you gave is erratic. In my own vehicle with an automatic if I were to do the same thing you described, I would also grab the stick and switch it to S mode(whatever the hell the S is supposed to mean) and at that point the transmission will behave in the way that I need, at that particular time. Then drop it back to regular drive once done.

It doesn't matter if the software is doing what its supposed to if it results in a driving scenario that is dangerous, especially when this would never happen in a 1990 vehicle. Shifting down to S, dropping to 1st or 2nd and slamming on the gas when a car appears unexpectedly is lunacy. I have driven a reprogrammed ECU that shifts up at the top of each gear like an old school 3 speed plus OD (instead of always jumping up to 5th or 6th at low speeds just for economy reasons). It is far more predictable, but I would take an old school 4 speed tranny and throttle cable in my car in a heartbeat over today's junk. Which is what I am planning on doing in my 2014 GT

Moving the shifter and slamming on the gas as I said I do, is lunacy? I didn't even explain the make/model of the vehicle I was referring to, so you seem to be making a hell of an assumption about the transmission. Your complaint is that I move the shifter before hitting the gas, as opposed to using the clutch, shifter, and then gas in a manual transmission car?

Yes, you're right. The software can be reprogrammed. But it's still only going to act as programmed, and expecting it to do otherwise is silly.

Moving the shifter and slamming on the gas as I said I do, is lunacy? I didn't even explain the make/model of the vehicle I was referring to, so you seem to be making a hell of an assumption about the transmission. Your complaint is that I move the shifter before hitting the gas, as opposed to using the clutch, shifter, and then gas in a manual transmission car?

Yes, you're right. The software can be reprogrammed. But it's still only going to act as programmed, and expecting it to do otherwise is silly.

It is quick to downshift in a manual and you do it without thinking because that is how you operate the car.

I think you are misunderstanding my complaints, so please let me make it clear. Modern cars DO NOT ALWAYS give you immediate acceleration by putting your foot on the floor. Period. I noticed this in the very first drive-by-wire truck I drove and its terrifying when someone is coming toward you. Expecting someone would even think of shifting a modern automatic when they put their foot down and the car doesn't immediately accelerate isn't a practical work around either. Seriously just Google drive-by-wire complaints. I'm not crazy.

It doesn't matter if the software is doing what its supposed to if it results in a driving scenario that is dangerous, especially when this would never happen in a 1990 vehicle. Shifting down to S, dropping to 1st or 2nd and slamming on the gas when a car appears unexpectedly is lunacy. I have driven a reprogrammed ECU that shifts up at the top of each gear like an old school 3 speed plus OD (instead of always jumping up to 5th or 6th at low speeds just for economy reasons). It is far more predictable, but I would take an old school 4 speed tranny and throttle cable in my car in a heartbeat over today's junk. Which is what I am planning on doing in my 2014 GT

You know most DSG systems allow you to stay in full automatic till you override it with a gear selection.

It is quick to downshift in a manual and you do it without thinking because that is how you operate the car.

I think you are misunderstanding my complaints, so please let me make it clear. Modern cars DO NOT ALWAYS give you immediate acceleration by putting your foot on the floor. Period. I noticed this in the very first drive-by-wire truck I drove and its terrifying when someone is coming toward you. Expecting someone would even think of shifting a modern automatic when they put their foot down and the car doesn't immediately accelerate isn't a practical work around either. Seriously just Google drive-by-wire complaints. I'm not crazy.

Except I'm talking about my 2016 with an automatic that does, if I move the gear selector. Yes, it's quick to downshift in a manual because that's how you operate the car. No one is disputing that. However, if a car with an automatic transmission offers a way to quickly downshift(swatting the lever with a hand doesn't really require precision, choosing to NOT learn how to operate the vehicle is silly.

Also, why would I google drive-by-wire complaints, when we're talking about issues that also occur when using an automatic transmission with a cable to the throttle body instead of drive-by-wire? Come on now, that's not the same thing at all. I'd also be willing to bet, that outside of the ultra cheap econo models of vehicles, that some of those complaints come from people who do not know the intricacies of operating their vehicle including how to quickly force shifts, change throttle response, etc. I don't know what the 6 cars you've driven are that you seem to hate so much, don't care either. But claiming that a process that involves more steps(shifting a manual transmission) is quicker than just putting the vehicle in the appropriate mode and slamming on the gas is just silly. Maybe you should drive more vehicles, and when you're doing so make sure you're completely aware of how to operate the vehicle? Because honestly, 6 isn't that many.

Except I'm talking about my 2016 with an automatic that does, if I move the gear selector. Yes, it's quick to downshift in a manual because that's how you operate the car. No one is disputing that. However, if a car with an automatic transmission offers a way to quickly downshift(swatting the lever with a hand doesn't really require precision, choosing to NOT learn how to operate the vehicle is silly.

Also, why would I google drive-by-wire complaints, when we're talking about issues that also occur when using an automatic transmission with a cable to the throttle body instead of drive-by-wire? Come on now, that's not the same thing at all. I'd also be willing to bet, that outside of the ultra cheap econo models of vehicles, that some of those complaints come from people who do not know the intricacies of operating their vehicle including how to quickly force shifts, change throttle response, etc. I don't know what the 6 cars you've driven are that you seem to hate so much, don't care either. But claiming that a process that involves more steps(shifting a manual transmission) is quicker than just putting the vehicle in the appropriate mode and slamming on the gas is just silly. Maybe you should drive more vehicles, and when you're doing so make sure you're completely aware of how to operate the vehicle? Because honestly, 6 isn't that many.

I owned 6 brand new drive-by-wire vehicles. I have driven hundreds of cars of various brands, but nothing over 150 grand. I used to sell cars.

I have no idea what you are even arguing about. I have never experienced unpredicable amounts of throttle or unpredictable automatic gear changes until sensors and computers took over, unless something was really broken.

Due to the above issues, I drive autos like manuals when pulling out or carving corners, unless cruising or in stop start traffic.

E.g. pulling out in busy traffic, whack that bitch in first and brake boost it. Don't leave it up to the computer to put you in a position to crash..

Another thing is some seem to be able to detect a rapid throttle push vs a slow roll on which is likely to leave it in gear. Mash it and it's more likely to change but I guess that depends on the TCU programming.

Can't wait to build a high stall sleeper LS dragwagon one day. Volvo 240 or a Camry SXV10, won't see it coming till it's leaving 11s and fucked off to the next time zone.. :D

It is far more predictable, but I would take an old school 4 speed tranny and throttle cable in my car in a heartbeat over today's junk. Which is what I am planning on doing in my 2014 GT

Or take it a step further with one of these...
WEB_Pg_6_ST1200_complete.jpg

Lenco planetary. No more guessing.. an auto but only when you want it to change.

Or just whack a 3-4 speed glide in there :D

You know most DSG systems allow you to stay in full automatic till you override it with a gear selection.

I know. My Fiesta is a dual clutch. Most days its fine. Revs I expect with shifts I expect. Some days I put my foot down at a low speed to accelerate and nothing happens for several seconds, then I get throttle again. Sometimes a downshift, but other times it stays in high gear and I slowly pickup speed. If I always drive in S and shift myself, everything seems more consistant. My torque converter based Mustang shifts much more predictably, but throttle less so.[/QUOTE]

Due to the above issues, I drive autos like manuals when pulling out or carving corners, unless cruising or in stop start traffic.

E.g. pulling out in busy traffic, whack that bitch in first and brake boost it. Don't leave it up to the computer to put you in a position to crash..

Another thing is some seem to be able to detect a rapid throttle push vs a slow roll on which is likely to leave it in gear. Mash it and it's more likely to change but I guess that depends on the TCU programming.

Can't wait to build a high stall sleeper LS dragwagon one day. Volvo 240 or a Camry SXV10, won't see it coming till it's leaving 11s and fucked off to the next time zone.. :D

Thank god someone knows what I'm talking about. I do tend to drive my auto Mustang and auto Fiesta (and Audi A4 i had) like manuals, in S mode just for more predictable acceleration. I just don't think I should have to. I think my next summer car will be a manual

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I think my next summer car will be a manual

That's going to become harder and harder to do with new cars :(

Try a Chevy SS... sounds like a piece of you. They really did some amazing work on the platform down here at Holden, getting very, very good reviews this time around. Sad as it's the last of the last, 2017 is final model year, they will be collectable, mark my words! Check out the prices on G8 GXPs.. much the same here with even higher spec HSVs (They have had magnetic suspension new on the Chev SS since 2009..), they have depreciated only 30-35% or so, while other cars in similar price ranges and capabilities (BMW/Merc/ Etc) depreciated far more.

Best part is over there, you guys think they are rental cars lol! 6.2L v8 rental cars.. bahahaha
Meanwhile here, no one would bat an eyelid seeing one doing a 400yard burnout.

Back