Let's talk side displays!

kasakka

2[H]4U
So I've figured out that for my uses having two big monitors on my desk is just a no go. I want my "main" monitor to be right in front of me and then have a smaller side display to go with it. This isn't really practical with e.g two 27-32" displays as placing them is awkward plus I have a big pair of Genelec studio monitors I'd like to listen at optimal placement rather than have them covered by a display.

For my main I currently have a 28" 4K but will upgrade to a 32" model with HDR in the future if something good comes out.

But what are my options for side displays? The way I see it, it should be something smaller than 20" possibly in portrait orientation or an uncommon form factor. I am currently using my Macbook Pro for that purpose or can use my 12.9" 2017 iPad Pro and those certainly work, but placing them nicely next to the main monitor is not so easy.

Do I have to look at e.g portable monitors for this? What about putting them next to my main since they are usually meant to sit on a desk?

Also for some frame of reference here, I liked the setup I had on the Samsung CRG9 which was the Picture by Picture mode using a 3360x1440 ultrawide and a 1760x1440 side display. The UW was a bit wider than I needed but I liked the side display. I just want something higher PPI.

I have a no name 1920x1080 13.3" portable monitor that I bought for this purpose a few years back. It fits a VESA mount on back so I just connected it to another set of monitor arms and use it as a side monitor next to my main.
It works well for my usage - normally I put chat or movies on it when I full screen game in the other.
Now there are quite a few more options with higher performance screens, 4k, 120Hz, adaptive sync, etc. from brand name manufacturers.

I have a no name 1920x1080 13.3" portable monitor that I bought for this purpose a few years back. It fits a VESA mount on back so I just connected it to another set of monitor arms and use it as a side monitor next to my main.
It works well for my usage - normally I put chat or movies on it when I full screen game in the other.
Now there are quite a few more options with higher performance screens, 4k, 120Hz, adaptive sync, etc. from brand name manufacturers.

These are pretty interesting - they even have OLED models now but most of these very small monitors do not have VESA - just some kind of picture frame style kick stand in the back which is pretty disappointing...

Back