Let's Just say

Rx_Matador

n00b
I am considering upgrading my processor it seems to be about that time. If i where to get a athlon ii x4 620 how well would it hold up with gaming? Or should i just wait a bit longer and get something with an l3 cache so it's more future compatible? I'd like to keep it under 150$ if possible. I have until march to make this decision to so if there's anything happening before then that i should consider please inform me.

actually the C3 black edition is cheaper then the 955 C2

C3 = Your Price:$163.99 Free shipping
c2 = Your Price:$165.99 Free shipping

If you want to keep the cost down the Phenom II x2 and x3 CPUs will be better than the Athlon II x4 in gaming. If you are staying with the same motherboard the improved IMC on the C3 stepping won't help you. The improvement from your current to a x2 or x3 OC'd to 3.4 or better will be huge for not much money. I don't see anything new coming out by March that would affect your decision.

I don't know much about your CPU cooler but I'm betting it would handle a 65W or 95W CPU much better than a OC'd 125W 955. If you go with the big boy be ready to shell out for a better cooler as well to get the most out of it.

I went from an AMD 5000 black edition OC'd to 3 GHz to a Phenom II X4 925. Couldn't be happier w/ the upgrade. The 925 is a great CPU for the money. The only thing you really need to make sure of is CPU support on your motherboard.

with the bios update that asus came out with my motherboard supports all new AM3 socket chips.

Back