Let's help recruit for The [H]orde!

What would an appropriate reward be?

• Total voters

MGMCCALLEY

[H]ard DCOTM SEP 16 / NOV 17
Ok, hopefully that's a catchy title. I directed a question to Pocatello last month why we didn't have a nomination for DCOTM for August. He cited lack of interest in DC projects in the Summer months, and the conversation led to the topic of declining interest in DC on the message boards.

I would like input from other users on the feasibility of implementing a reward system in the form of a [H]ardOCP t-shirt, mouse pad, or something every DCer could use and be proud of receiving without breaking the bank for donors. I would like us to agree on one or two items for simplicity if the project were to go forward, and volunteer(s) from [H]ardOCP to manage the donations and rewards system. I am volunteering to be a donator to the cause, but have very little time for management.

I think the cause is important enough, and people sincerely do enjoy recognition for their efforts. Most of us are definitely supporting the cause for great reasons, and I have no doubt of the sincerity of efforts from this team. Part of the reason I stay with the [H]orde is because we do this without expectation of reward. I do also agree, though, that it brings out the competitive spirit in us, and friendly competition goes a long way. I don't expect us to try and implement a system like EVGA does, although you cannot deny their results. I just think a little something to recognize those who put forth great effort and go the extra mile is fitting.

I would also expect that these rewards could be purchased by other [H]ardOCP members, regardless of their DC status or efforts. It is not meant to exclude those who are not given title. I would love it if every member had an opportunity to represent their pride in this team to the public, and hopefully spark further interest by doing so.

The following are excerpts from the conversation:

MGMCCALLEY:

Are we skipping August for DCOTM?

Pocatello:

Yes. I don't see why we should nominate this month. We only had one nomination last month. Going back farther into the past, 2015 to be specific, we had problems arise in the summer when we had no nominations and very little interest. That is when we started talking about the future of the team.

If you have other ideas, let me know. I am frustrated because we have so many worthy people on our team, but little action in the forums.

MGMCCALLEY:

I know we've had many discussions before. I also know that many of us fold/crunch with no expectation of reward or merit, other than the recognition on the boards and respect from fellow folders. I do remember a time when the forums were more active, probably when there were fewer DC projects and possibly when there was more interest because of a prize of sorts. I do see that the forums are quite heavily divided these days, and that a "general" DC discussion isn't as easy to find. They tend to be project-specific and many of the merits of each project are lost as a whole if someone is casually browsing. Interest in F@H is waning as well, as people migrate towards BOINC and other projects, so the solidarity of each team might not be there like it was in the early F@H days.

If there was ever a discussion about re-introducing prizes I haven't seen it. I would be willing to chip in for a monthly prize towards DCOTM if one of the moderators thought it fitting and there was a system in place for donating towards those prizes. I personally have always wanted a t-shirt but seem to miss them when they're up for sale:

The first shirt in a new HardOCP series!

Maybe if we get a stockpile of these to ship out and someone wants that duty, I'd donate towards that. I know it's hard to spark interest in projects where some people see no immediate return or benefit. I think something [H] branded makes someone feel more a part of the team. My guess is we'd only need to get L, XL, and XXL for the most part? Just throwing out some ideas. I don't remember hardware prizes ever catching on, because there's no one consistent item that everyone is looking for. Maybe a [H]ard OCP mouse pad if we wanted something computer related that was "one size fits all"? I do know a lot of people slow down or stop in the summer, but this might keep the interest up in the off-months and keep the forums more active. I would pledge $200.00 to anything that gets approved as long as everyone that contributes was able to be eligible in some way. Nomination method I think is still applicable, but if it were more visible to everyone that visits the site I think it would boost popularity.

Pocatello:

You have some great ideas that are worthy of more attention.

I love the shirt! I have two FA[H] t-shirts from years ago. Both are tye dyed hippy shirts.

Do you want to start a thread with some of your ideas?

Soon as it cools back off I'll be back. Most likely stronger than earlier this year.

Good idea on the incentives.

I'm slowly turning things up, added a 1070 last month and as soon as i'm back from holiday in a couple of weeks and have sold some surplus parts i'll be adding at least another 1070 or 1080. Also hoping that the new AVX core brings some love back to the CPU folding scene

as some of you have already seen, just a you tube blogger can create a team of thousands of folders in one day.
i am not sure the Horde youtube is official, but it's not very active.
in case hardocp was planning a serious youtube campaign (such as moving to video testing instead of web article), integrating a few folding videos in this campaign could trigger the same kind of attention ?

I'm pretty sure Barnacules had an enormous following before he created the F@H team. But it's never a bad idea to expand on video or social media offerings. I think it's awesome his team is competing with Curecoin and EVGA. That's very impressive. Are there any photogenic, upbeat forum admins? It seems like it would be a huge investment in time, but an even greater reward to be able to boost efforts for F@H, WCG, or any other DC projects to help make the public more aware. Way to think big.

We have had discussions about [H] t-shirts in the past. Probably last time around was 2014'ish. I think the team was more interested in a teamcentric shirt rather than a general [H] shirt. Something that referenced the team or let you identify with it. (nobody would commit to actually deciding on the shirt and just doing it) The general [H] shirt is more focused towards the site and PC's in general. If that isn't an option, a regular shirt would be nice. However, it would probably mean more from the members if they actually came from Kyle. I think having the owner's presence with the team says a great deal more. This makes the team members feel more appreciated for supporting the site. We all know how expensive it is to do DC. A monthly award like a T-Shirt isn't really all that expensive for the advertising that comes from team members going out and spreading the word.

Keep in mind that we already get GenMay for contributing to FAH courtesy of Kyle. (Granted you have to hit a certain amount of points, but anyone with a decent GPU can do that quickly.) However, I don't think that is really much of an incentive to bring more people in. Just don't want people thinking he isn't already contributing to us in some way.

I think a YouTube channel would be awesome but that usually means someone is being paid to professionally maintain it. Hobbyists rarely do a good job and keep it up. I think getting Hardfolding.com back up could go a long way, but we are lacking volunteers. Finding a volunteer to do a YouTube channel in the name of [H] may be just as difficult.

DC'ers in general are down everywhere. $$ is what stimulated teams like GridCoin which did two things. Took members away from teams and brought new members in that were unaware of DC'ing. It makes me wonder if Kyle can get permission to donate some of the samples they get for testing for reviews to be potential awards...

Not too long in the past Kai was offering up gear out of his own pocket that was actually decent gear. So, it can be done by volunteers. It just isn't as sustainable. Think about all the cold G34 gear out there.

I think a gear donation is a good idea, but it can create a sense of unfairness to those who feel they've put forth a lot of effort but got, say, a power supply instead of a video card, or a keyboard instead of a motherboard. The reason I suggested t-shirt, mouse pad, poster, something like that was that it was consistent, and every winner got a reward that was enviable, but obtainable, and wouldn't create any hurt feelings because if they really wanted one, they could buy one themselves.

I think anyone regularly posting in this forum knows the efforts that Kyle goes through on a regular basis, and of course it would mean a lot to get a prize directly from him for our efforts.

And isn't General Mayhem open to every forum member now?

General Mayhem Now Open To All Registered Forum Members!

On another note, wouldn't inconsistent prizes be construed as favoritism by some? As a veteran I often think about rules and regulations and why they exist. I think establishing ground rules that are consistent is important in something like this so that no one feels left out, everyone feels like they're a part of the team, and everyone has a chance to participate and represent even if they don't win (such as buying the t-shirt instead of winning it).

And I'm all for a team-centered t-shirt. [H]ard DCer, I DC The [H]ard Way, [Hard]|OCP with a custom logo, who knows. Just an image or an idea to rally around. Symbolism can mean quite a bit. Heck, even a ranking structure like we used to have.

How about a contest this fall or winter, when our DCers come back to the forums, where users submit their ideas for a prize, a logo, a phrase, or some combination of those things? Then the winning idea becomes the winning prize for DCOTM and DCOTY winners?

Well... if the monthly award is available to all [H] members equally each month, then the prize given away is fair every month regardless of what it is. Just announce it up front and then keep it a drawing or something. I know there was a system years ago before I was on the team. I read up on it back when I was doing a lot of historical reading. I personally don't care what the item is as long as it is fair to all. I also think that there should be no exclusions and so should not be tied to [H] DC'er of the month.

Now that the website is back up, I will post this as an idea or potential tool for "fair" prize distribution. https://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=UTF8&node=11715260011

Basically that is the link to Amazon Giveaway FAQ. They have a few options for setting the giveaway up. Users have to have an Amazon account to qualify for the giveaway but the person that sets it up pre-pays for the item. You can read their full rules from that link. The big downside is controlling only [H] members participating. If you post the link publicly, anyone could enter. Then it comes down to whether you want to go on honor system or if you want to come up with a system for confirming team members. In BOINC projects, (or at least most of them) team founders have access to the email address the team members used to register their account with. So, technically they could email the link used for that to those addresses. But that doesn't really help the FAH side or any other non-BOINC member. And that would put a lot more work on the team founder/Admins. However, since the prize can be set to be determined randomly, that takes fear of misconduct out for the person hosting the giveaway. Also, Amazon handles everything in regards to taxes and such on their end including shipping the items.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In principle a good idea, but what happen with [H] mates not residents of US, like myself living in 日本. In one of my other forums there are frequent giveaways but feels bad for those geographically not eligible.

Not having yet a better idea neither ....

Perhaps eGift Cards? Just need a fair system to go with it.

I like the idea of [H] DC t-shirts.

Simple, not too expensive, consistent, world wide eligibility.

If you are sensitive, don't read below.

The gifts won't lure people in. Once you decide 'oh hey, let's do a shirt' then there goes YEARS to determine what should be on it. Just search for these threads, I might even have IRC logs! Why will it be different this time? Because there's some new names in the mix? I don't mean to be a dick but these threads of "what sort of things can we give people" won't pull them in, and that is largely due to the inability to execute and complete the 'ohh shiny merch' requirement. Logos were created but could not make a decision, and then it was who would oversee manufacture of the shirts, and distribution, where is the up front money coming from, etc. If you can pull it off, great, do it but I recall this subject matter has been on the table for about 4 years. Shit or get off the pot. IDK how many times this was almost done and then someone wanted a new logo...

Think back further. What major activity took place between two large teams? Did this event lure in MANY new folks? Once the goal was realized, did the team fall apart/scatter? What is your next major event? People love conflict and a common enemy. Who is our next EVGA? There is NO excitement here, it is boring. Even the IRC channel is bereft of DC excitement and activity, has mostly turned into an off topic channel due to lacking DC activity.

Personally I had stepped away, but did have a 4p out and about for 2 years that people had borrowed. In the winter I do some DC as well, but nothing as heavy as I did.

The other thing, who is your audience? Is it just the stragglers that come through the DC sub forum, or are you going to take it to a larger audience?

The issues I see:
The ability to start and complete projects (shirts)
The ability to recruit new blood, how is this being done?
Excitement is lacking.
Accountability, who will own generation and completion of shirts

I apologize if my post is brash but I come in here from time to time to see the same subject matter brought up by someone else or the same people over and over. It needs lift off and accountability, as well as management and there is none of that that I have seen to result in completion of these ideas.

Prove me wrong.

The mic is dropped. Show me action.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want my opinion (I no longer crunch for HardOCP) I left basically for a lot of reasons the above poster stated. I did not want prizes I wanted competition and goals. Monthly targets to try and overtake other teams etc etc.

IMO the boinc/folding team here was just boring and lacked direction so I left. Not trying to criticize, just giving my reasons. shumph aka No.15

Well we could bypass the committee altogether and let Kyle decide on a logo. And I'll front the first $200 for t-shirts. All we need is 1 individual that can be accountable at the [H] end of things to collect the money, order the t-shirts, and ship them out to monthly DC winners. If nobody else will do it, I'll do the shipping out of prizes for the first year. But I'm not a moderator, or really able to represent [H] at all. I still like the idea of the t-shirts, but maybe to streamline the process we use a logo that was decided upon previously for the last batch or let a [H] rep just decide. Scobar is right about one thing, someone will have to be accountable at some point. I suppose if we don't get a [H] rep to volunteer to organize this idea will die.

Think back further. What major activity took place between two large teams? Did this event lure in MANY new folks? Once the goal was realized, did the team fall apart/scatter? What is your next major event? People love conflict and a common enemy. Who is our next EVGA? There is NO excitement here, it is boring. Even the IRC channel is bereft of DC excitement and activity, has mostly turned into an off topic channel due to lacking DC activity.

This, plus the lack of a single project to push. Back in the day, there were a handful of rebels who participated in BOINC projects (so rebellious that they weren't even the Horde, and rather called themselves Commandos or something), and everyone else did Folding@home. People were interested. People joined. Heavy hitters on other teams defected because of all of the "R&D" related to F@H going on around this forum. Even the heavy hitters who did not defect knew to come here to learn how to squeeze out more production or to help them decide what "D" to add to their farms. This wasn't a new thing, either. Back in the early 2000s, I remember coming to H for DC-related (F@H-related actually) info. I joined in late 2009, right as bigadv came out, and this was a time of resurgence for the H DC subforum. What ended it was a growing hatred toward the F@H project that finally reached a breaking point with the announcement of the end of bigadv. In my opinion, no BOINC project will ever work for this team like F@H did - there are too many and they are all over the place as far as what they try to accomplish. Plus, no one will just pick one as an "official" H project.

So, here we are. I still have a VM cranking out 50K ppd or so for H with F@H - a far cry from my 2M ppd or whatever it was at my peak - and no desire to "ramp up" because, well, why? Do we still hate Stanford? Are we going to push for world domination in WCG? Do we want to make a push for at least holding on to our 2nd place spot in F@H? Something else?

I just don't see the point anymore, which is why I rarely even come here these days.

musky, what's your preference? Stay with FAH or move to another project to dominate? You see, the problem is that when we try to decide what is best for the team, only the complainers show up to say how nobody is giving direction but they don't want to give an opinion of which direction they would prefer. One person making the decision isn't going to work unless you get Kyle to make it. And I honestly doubt he cares all that much. So, "official" has to be signed off on by [H] staff and not just a few volunteers. I for one would love it to be switched to WCG. It would truly be tough to take on entire college/universities and corp. teams. However, you will find a few grumble about no GPU projects right now. I'm fine with it, but how many will actually do it when we finally make that decision?

Since they don't have optimized applications there, even older G34 rigs seem to compete with newer equipment. The biggest selling point to WCG is that it has actually gotten real results that are being used rather than just writing another paper to further grant funding.

Right now our team is 34th over all. brilong (plext0r) is ~35% of our teams over all daily output. So, we certainly could make a good run for it if the team unified. The number 1 team is IBM (the owner of WCG) and they put out ~12 times as much work/points as our team does right now.

Last edited:
I have told you before - I don't care, but just pick one. I run F@H on the one VM I do run, mainly because I have invested so much in the project. But I also stopped completely for quite a while for a reason, and I have not been paying any attention to what is going on with F@H lately. So, I don't care.

But, i am also not who you are trying to cater to. I'm not going to start up a truckload of machines for any DC project, at least not right now. I put in my time, and am still a little burnt out of the whole thing.

Yes, but if per se I tell you to point them to WCG... would you?

He and I have chatted in IRC many of times on this subject. What I'm saying is even if I gave him the direction... that doesn't mean he will do it. That is the problem here. People want someone of authority. None of the volunteers have that. musky wants a determined goal that is agreed upon by the team. The reason FAH was an agreed upon goal is because Kyle stepped in and said this is what is official. And that was that. So, for those wanting the "official" project you continue with FAH. For those sick of their crap, there are alternatives.

Which brings us here. To move on and past the days of yesterday, we need something official for the team to run with. We have had threads trying to lay out what people wanted but we got mostly people whining about what happened years ago and what the problems are with getting it fixed. Then they tear down the ones suggesting fixes and sit on their hands doing nothing else. We have a few people making suggestions to make things better. Those suggestions get shot down. Usually by the same people. So if someone doesn't like a suggestion, then perhaps they should suggest fixes of their own? If someone has an idea to fix something, they should post what portion they are willing to contribute to so that it isn't a great idea for someone else to fix it for them.... Just some food for thought.

And to give some other credence to this... We currently have ~50 active WCG supporters and ~150 FAH supporters. Some of those (like myself) are overlap. Most of whom do not post in the forums or give insight. This is not necessarily counting our contributors to other projects. If we were to switch to WCG, how many would return or switch? Unfortunately we don't know because we haven't had an official team switch. So, like musky, some will just stay on the project that caused many to leave simply because the team hasn't been officially moved elsewhere.

As of this post their are currently 194 users folding for F@H.

Not to be that guy but I don't see myself participating in any other project. I did WCG for a little while, but I went back to F@H.

I wish the team would unify with F@H so we could go back after the #1 spot that was robbed from us when the projected switched heavily to GPU folding.

Ok, from September 24th onwards the official projects for the [H]orde are

1) F@H (Goal: back in daily top 5)
2) WCG for those with CPUs (Goal: reach daily top 5)
3) GPUGrid

Official is what the team is doing (and accepted by silence of the authorities). But focusing is needed, too.

Myself stay with F@H for the time being in order to focus my limited resources (and I enjoy watching proteins too much).

Back to ontopic: a T-shirt please in XXXL, sitting too much in front of my boxes :oops:

This, plus the lack of a single project to push. Back in the day, there were a handful of rebels who participated in BOINC projects (so rebellious that they weren't even the Horde, and rather called themselves Commandos or something), and everyone else did Folding@home. People were interested. People joined. Heavy hitters on other teams defected because of all of the "R&D" related to F@H going on around this forum. Even the heavy hitters who did not defect knew to come here to learn how to squeeze out more production or to help them decide what "D" to add to their farms. This wasn't a new thing, either. Back in the early 2000s, I remember coming to H for DC-related (F@H-related actually) info. I joined in late 2009, right as bigadv came out, and this was a time of resurgence for the H DC subforum. What ended it was a growing hatred toward the F@H project that finally reached a breaking point with the announcement of the end of bigadv. In my opinion, no BOINC project will ever work for this team like F@H did - there are too many and they are all over the place as far as what they try to accomplish. Plus, no one will just pick one as an "official" H project.

So, here we are. I still have a VM cranking out 50K ppd or so for H with F@H - a far cry from my 2M ppd or whatever it was at my peak - and no desire to "ramp up" because, well, why? Do we still hate Stanford? Are we going to push for world domination in WCG? Do we want to make a push for at least holding on to our 2nd place spot in F@H? Something else?

I just don't see the point anymore, which is why I rarely even come here these days.

My 2c from an outsider, I actually have a chrome tab open up here along with OCN just to see what else is going on at another heavy DC site. I used to visit for FAH related info before I started up with BOINC. And yeah BOINC was a rebel type of DC in years past. I've been folding on an off for a long time, like 2002, and had stopped CPU folding as it just wasn't worth it. When the pentathlon came around this year I signed up for OCN and have since moved nearly all my hardware to BOINC.

For me at least and I think others, the appeal for BOINC is the ability to support different causes instead of the same old FAH project. There are medical, space, math, etc type of projects. Plus badges. :) At OCN we have projects of the month where some may move some production to different projects to hopefully move OCN up a few positions in the rankings. Some do it, some don't.

For me at least and I think others, the appeal for BOINC is the ability to support different causes instead of the same old FAH project.

That is pretty much Gilthanis's position as well, and is exactly why I DON'T like BOINC - no focus on a single project, resources spread all over the place, and painfully slow progress on any one front.

Ok, from September 24th onwards the official projects for the [H]orde are

1) F@H (Goal: back in daily top 5)
2) WCG for those with CPUs (Goal: reach daily top 5)
3) GPUGrid

3 is better, but still not a single project.

Yes, but if per se I tell you to point them to WCG... would you?

Who are "you"? A few posts up, ChristianVirtual is telling me that F@H is the #1 "official" project. Who do I believe?

Guys, I realize I am being a pain in the ass here - purposely in this case to try to show you all what I mean. This is why I'll likely end up dropping this and going back into hiding for another 6 months or so until something else pulls my attention back to the DC subforum. Sadly, I doubt I am alone...

musky, you actually are helping make my point by saying if I tell you to move, would you? That is exactly what I'm trying to relay to people like scobar. We need someone official to give that direction or people like you will not listen. We tried voting for some team captains. We didn't get many people chiming in. So, what are the requirements for you to follow? I wish it was as simple as "someone" just making the decision. However, it has to be "someone" and not just "anyone". In this case that "someone" needs to have official status from [H] itself before anyone will actually consider listening. Just my $.02.

And Skillz, when I posted I was looking at who had points yesterday as of the posting. It was ~150 at that time. Feel free to be "that guy". We need some of them to chime in to give an idea of how many are out there. Numbers will change and shift. A few of the people I have recruited to WCG have fluctuated between active and non-active multiple times through the year. I get to see those daily with ease as WCG keeps a list for me. But to be fair, I also only compared to the WCG'ers who had points for that day at the time of posting too....

Ultimately we are on Kyle's site, so if he says F@H is the official project then that's it as far as i'm concerned. If he says WCG is the new official project then I will move some resources. Like many others I prefer to stick with just one project and have a lot of time invested in F@H so would never totally switch. Since there will always be the "rebels" who believe in different goals to those of F@H I would have to suggest that the team will never totally unify.

Whatever choice people make I think we need a serious goal - for F@H that has to be getting back into the top 5 daily producers - If people say fuck it lets go after EVGA and the No.1 spot i'm all for it. The new AVX core may help us here - I've seen posts in testing showing 450k from a pair of 2695v2 xeons which is not far off Bigadv points - whether these will hold up in production or not remains to be seen.

Who are "you"? A few posts up, ChristianVirtual is telling me that F@H is the #1 "official" project.

Ok, let me adjust a bit:
  • F@H (Goal: back in daily top 5)
  • GPUGrid
  • WCG for those with CPUs (Goal: reach daily top 5)
Disclaimer: focus projects are sorted in alphabetic order; pick any combination you like
If I would be allowed to do JavaScript in the posting I would let them change the positions ... :)

And I also believe we should self-organize ourself.

There have been a lot of good points in the last two days. It's good to see some of the names I've come to recognize as great supporters of DC projects here over the years. I'm not new to the game, but I've never been very active in the forums until lately when I've had more time, energy, and funds to purchase some hardware to make a dent in the rankings. So, to put some of my opinions in the mix:

Scobar, I agree with you on several points. 1. We should get a committee, I think 5 members might be the best we can hope for at this point, maybe 7 if we get a good turnout. 2. I agree that it would be difficult to get a single project as being "official" mostly because of the split between CPU/GPU and the members that were disappointed with F@H or have realized the potential of BOINC and WCG. I'm not as versed in all areas DC, but I can definitely see WCG as a new rally point. And I don't think we should drop F@H in favor of something else, there are so many people, myself included, that want to keep producing to see what comes from that research.

Nathan_P, I agree that making a specific goal will go a long way to bringing interested people back. I think it should be an attainable goal, though, and going after EVGA might not be. It's been agreed upon by many that EVGA and any other organization that "pays" to attract a following has a major advantage. I think point-specific goals, or member-specific goals allows us to compete with ourselves, and drives competition internally without picking a specific external group to compete with. Although I must agree it can be satisfying to "mow" down some other teams. I think we're positioned right now, largely thanks to Plext0r/brilong to do just that. And if people see the example he's setting, it might inspire them to add to the resource pool.

Gilthanis, you are correct in stating that someone should provide some direction and leadership. I think your knowledge on the various projects and forum members puts you in a good position to be on this committee. You make some good points about how we're doing in WCG, and although I know you're invested in other projects and contests, would you agree that WCG could be a great new rally point? It gives our members (including myself) a way to use CPU hardware to make a difference without investing heavily in GPUs if they don't want to. Literally anyone with a computer can donate on BOINC/WCG and that means something.

Musky, I can identify with your position, having donated to F@H for so long and not wanting to branch out to something more complex. In reality, though, if we follow the walkthroughs of some of the members here, and post them as stickies to help out, maybe streamline them a bit, it's not all that difficult, and I think some members are looking for something new, possibly challenging, to keep it interesting. That's where I came in, a long-term F@H that discovered in these forums another way to contribute.

ChristianVirtual, I like someone that takes the initiative. I think Scobar is right about a committee, though. It's going to better represent the DCers here as a whole, and give a collective direction more meaning. As active as you are in the forums I think you would be a good voice in the committee as well.

Everyone, thank you for contributing ideas to this thread. It's good to hear all of these different ideas. And I think whomever becomes a member of this committee should always be open to listening to other forum members with these good ideas.

Should we make another thread for committee member election? I imagine we'd need to give it a few weeks for everyone to be able to throw their hat in the ring. Would a monthly committee meeting, maybe some time around the DCOTM voting time, be sufficient to make these decisions? I'm guessing it would need to be weekly or a bi-weekly for a month or two until the ground rules are set up, and I do believe Kyle should have a voice on whether or not a committee, or any other decisions, can be made by someone other than himself. It IS his site, his forum, and ultimately his rules. Who has his ear?

-MGM

Oh, yeah: - a Steering Committee like I have at work for my IT projects :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with that and see it as part of "self-organization".

So I have one machine, CPU only. What do I run? F@H or WCG?

So I have one <good GPU>. What do I run? F@H or GPUGrid?

While I get that you like choices, I either don't or don't know enough to pick one. i need direction. Tell me what to do with my hardware. Don't tell me to choose.

Hopefully you see that I am playing devil's advocate, but I don't think I am wrong.

Musky, I can identify with your position, having donated to F@H for so long and not wanting to branch out to something more complex. In reality, though, if we follow the walkthroughs of some of the members here, and post them as stickies to help out, maybe streamline them a bit, it's not all that difficult, and I think some members are looking for something new, possibly challenging, to keep it interesting. That's where I came in, a long-term F@H that discovered in these forums another way to contribute.

I did run some BOINC projects for a while - I would have linked you my stats and team rank and such, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how. And that is part of my problem with BOINC projects - they are all sort of grouped together. Where are the EOC-like stats pages? My other issue was that there were like a dozen people active and our production was not very good as a team, so it was BORING. I just don't get the appeal.

Funny, I just fired up a PC to fold a bit yesterday (to stress out some new components a bit), after some months of account inactivity. Then I saw this thread. T-shirt, please? :)

A gtx 950 / G3470, so pretty lightweight stuff. Seems to get 100k to 130k points / day, depending on the assignments. Figure I'd run up 1 million points or so on the combo, to make sure it's good to go.

if (dont_like_FAH == YES || hate_FAH > 0.42)
{

if (hardware == CPU)
{

Run_WCG();
}

if (Hardware == GPU)
{

Run_GPUGrid();
}
}
else
{

Run_FAH(33);
}

I didn't tested that code; but works for me ... :cool:

(Can I get that on a T-shirt ?? Nooooo :p)

While I get that you like choices, I either don't or don't know enough to pick one. i need direction. Tell me what to do with my hardware. Don't tell me to choose.

Hopefully you see that I am playing devil's advocate, but I don't think I am wrong.

Given your preference for F@H - install v7 of the F@H client, fire up the GPU and start cranking out points

I think the answer to musky's question is a lot simpler in regards to projects. CPU run WCG. GPU FAH. Why FAH? Because they don't run out of work as often as GPUGrid does. Both projects are similar on the science they support. However, I do believe GPUGrid has better admins. I think he would be more peeved with the stream of work and a few other hiccups you probably wont have with FAH. And as far as having a strong chance at domination, I think the hardware we have with the team would push WCG standing more than FAH. At least until FAH brings another BigAdv to the table.

MGMCALLEY, I have actually mentioned multiple times that WCG is my project of choice over all others. So, yes that is my preference (and advice given) when asked.

WCG doesn't push the capabilities of the BOINC client like many other projects and so is much easier for BOINC newbs to tweak. WCG has some very good science as well as a wide variety to choose from that has actually had real results and not just papers. WCG staff is typically helpful in the forums. However, you will find that most of the forum chatter are from users. The hang up with WCG is it drags its feet with progressive change. That bugs a lot of users. It also confuses people by having a different set of points then what is reported by the client/stats sites. But once people realize it is a factor of 7, it usually isn't a big deal.

Given your preference for F@H - install v7 of the F@H client, fire up the GPU and start cranking out points

The was a fictional me. The actual me hasn't owned a GPU in years.

I think the answer to musky's question is a lot simpler in regards to projects. CPU run WCG. GPU FAH. Why FAH? Because they don't run out of work as often as GPUGrid does. Both projects are similar on the science they support. However, I do believe GPUGrid has better admins. I think he would be more peeved with the stream of work and a few other hiccups you probably wont have with FAH. And as far as having a strong chance at domination, I think the hardware we have with the team would push WCG standing more than FAH. At least until FAH brings another BigAdv to the table.

Was that so hard? :)

I switch my 16 cores of virtualized SB-e cores over to WCG, along with a few phones I had laying around. Now I need to find a GPU for F@H - I think I have an old 6950(?) laying around and I have a low-power Windows machine running in the basement for non-DC reasons.

Back sort of on topic, this was (I think) the last H t-shirt thread - that also went nowhere:

Team 33 [H] DC T Shirts

Last edited:
Back