Let the incompatible memory standard war begin. LPCAMM vs CAMM

Lakados

[H]F Junkie
Thank god, SO-DIMMs were so boring and standardized. I like the adventure of not knowing what the RAM in my laptop will be, it adds to the suspense and almost guarantees I order the wrong one by mistake so I get to talk to a lovely Amazon service representative, the highlight of my day! :p

Thank god, SO-DIMMs were so boring and standardized. I like the adventure of not knowing what the RAM in my laptop will be, it adds to the suspense and almost guarantees I order the wrong one by mistake so I get to talk to a lovely Amazon service representative, the highlight of my day! :p
Could be worse you could find out it was soldered on instead of a socket.

Sounds good to me. Let the worst non-standard die. If they both die, I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Ah, I love the smell of standards wars in the morning ! -Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore (well, sorta)

kentronmand-O.F.Fascist.jpg

We're a Dell shop and have a fair amount of 5670/80's (top dog 15" Precision models, I hope I got the model right from memory) out in the environment right now with CAMM configurations. With some of our more specialized BU's we rely on being able to up the RAM and such down the road for Ansys and similar intensive simulation workloads where applicable so they can get away with not having to bog down our HPC clusters with these more "menial" workloads.

Let's hope our backed horse wins! Jokingly from a sunk-cost perspective of course... but objectively, which is the better tech?

objectively, which is the better tech?

From my armchair design perspective, this new one looks better. Dell said, hey routing all these pins is hard, and then put the connector on one side, again.

Samsung said, yeah, routing these pins is hard and we need short traces, and stuffed the ram right on top of the connector. There's the power management off to the side, but routing power isn't too hard. I wonder if power on top or bottom would be better for boards with more than one or two connectors though, the CAMMs don't seem so long that running power from one side to the other would be that bad (but again, I'm not actually qualified)

Back