Let the 6970 Rumors Begin

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the anticipation we're experiencing, I wonder what people at Nvidia are feeling about now...

I don't need a time machine to know that Lord_Exodia is going to end up buying green.
You know it, we know it, everybody knows it.

Your 100% right!!! As both companies have green logos now. :D We'll see when the 6900 series comes out. I can give you my criteria of scenarios where I'll buy amd and if they come true and I still buy nvidia you can call me on it;

I'll buy AMD if
1. Outperforms by more than 10% when overclocked to the max and costs less or same after price war

2. Performs less by only 5% when overclocked to the extreme and is cheaper after price war

I'll buy nvidia if

1. Outperforms when overclocked to the max and costs same or slightly more

2. less than 5% slower when overclocked to the max and costs same or less after price war.

I'll buy AMD if
1. Outperforms by more than 10% when overclocked to the max and costs less or same after price war

2. Performs less by only 5% when overclocked to the extreme and is cheaper after price war

I'll buy nvidia if

1. Outperforms when overclocked to the max and costs same or slightly more

2. less than 5% slower when overclocked to the max and costs same or less after price war.
Alright, here's mine:

I'll buy nvidia if
1. ATI goes out of business.

How many believe that we'll see a drop in GTX 580 and 570 prices the 14th (if NDA is 15th) and Kyle will get an email asking [H] to adjust their review after the new prices? :D

Alright, here's mine:

I'll buy nvidia if
1. ATI goes out of business.

Nice. Good to know where you stand. It's true that most people who are set in their ways try to point out others when it is a complex within themselves that is the true problem. Bottom line, I'll buy whatever makes me happier and the cards that would make me happier are the ones that perform better. For nvidia I'll take a 5-10% performance cost due to my preference in their drivers and technology. I have a slant toward nvidia but unlike you I'd buy amd 100% if the right situation presented itself :p

The radeon graphics logo may be red but the company logos are both green :D

How many believe that we'll see a drop in GTX 580 and 570 prices the 14th (if NDA is 15th) and Kyle will get an email asking [H] to adjust their review after the new prices? :D

Not sure I understand the question 100% Tamlin

It's funny because ATI's drivers (or an 'extension' of them) are the reason I refuse to buy Nvidia anymore. Specifically ATT and RBE. It's a level of customization and control that I can't live without anymore.

It's funny because ATI's drivers (or an 'extension' of them) are the reason I refuse to buy Nvidia anymore. Specifically ATT and RBE. It's a level of customization and control that I can't live without anymore.

What exactly do they offer you that make you so compelled to stay with AMD until nvidia goes out of business? I'm asking because I don't know.

6800 launch and drop of prices? :D

I expect a price drop, how much is the real question. If the 6970 comes out at $450 I expect the GTX 580 to also come down to $450 regardless if AMD is slower or same speed. If it outperforms the GTX 580 (which it might) then it may go even lower than $450, then AMD may respond with another price drop of their own, well this is what I and everyone here (I think) hopes for :D

If AMD does net a 30% performance advantage over Nvidia regardless of where the prices fall expect me on team AMD. Just never expect me to be 100% loyal to AMD radeon graphics just because I own them. I've been called an AMD troll when I own nvidia so same could be other way around.

I like AMD because of their pricing. When 480s came out and performed better than the 5870s, Nvidia priced them higher so AMD didn't really budge prices. When 68*0s came out though, they priced them low forcing steep price cuts from Nvidia. Now, I expect 69*0s will also force steep price cuts from Nvidia, either by pricing them the same despite much higher performance (+30%) or much lower (400$) for the same performance.

Here's what Gibbo at Overclockers UK said when asked about stock of HD69** and if he would stack the cards in a pyramid for a photo.

Looks like we will see a hard launch by AMD soon™. ;)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17954123&postcount=521

Not sure I like the way he qualified the quote by saying that no one would be disappointed with the performance for the money. Kind of implies it'll end up being lower performance at a lower price pooint, rather than greater performance period.

I'm not sure how he's even able to use the card. I thought stores could get in trouble for that?

I'm not sure how he's even able to use the card. I thought stores could get in trouble for that?

That's exactly how I read it too. We know that the 6970 has more hardware that's a given. AMD always has more SP faster, memory, more memory faster core and shader clocks etc.. but they end up marginally slower than nvidia. On paper the 6970 should be faster but if you follow AMD patterns it may end up trading blows but come out for a good price point. AMD would rock the world if they come out with a card that is 5% slower @ $429.99 or trades blows with GTX 580 @ $449.99 as rumors indicate.

We shall find out in 8 days though. But after all this speculating I believe we'll find that it trades blows and costs much less out the gate but nvidia may not let them win on price this go around. Who knows for sure, this guy at that forum seems to and what he is saying is that for the price noone will be dissapointed which leads me to believe slightly less performance.

The wait is killing me :p Running Cataclysm at 5760x1200res on my single 5870 is hurting frame rates.

My 5870 screams to me, like from the original StarTrek series, Scotty the engineer would say, "I'am giving her all she's got Captain" in his thick Scottish accent :D

The wait is killing me :p Running Cataclysm at 5760x1200res on my single 5870 is hurting frame rates.

My 5870 screams to me, like from the original StarTrek series, Scotty the engineer would say, "I'am giving her all she's got Captain" in his thick Scottish accent :D

How is that Cataclysm expansion? What's the buzz in game, do people like it?

What'll be important about that quote is how much the cards are priced. If the card is priced close to the 580, then it has to perform at least around the same level. If its slower, then it's priced significantly cheaper. Or, it lowers the price for everyone, which is great.

That's exactly how I read it too. We know that the 6970 has more hardware that's a given. AMD always has more SP faster, memory, more memory faster core and shader clocks etc.. but they end up marginally slower than nvidia. On paper the 6970 should be faster but if you follow AMD patterns it may end up trading blows but come out for a good price point.

That's not true at all. More memory - often, but not always, especially for reference cards.. Clocks? Core clock is irrelevant to Nvidia cards - it's the shader clock that's the biggest factor, and that's sometimes twice that of AMD. And AMD doesn't have a shader clock.

More SP's? Can't really compare because AMD multiplies theirs by 5 and since the way they do the math is very different.

I'd actually say AMD has been way more efficient with their GPUs than Nvidia has been

What'll be important about that quote is how much the cards are priced. If the card is priced close to the 580, then it has to perform at least around the same level. If its slower, then it's priced significantly cheaper. Or, it lowers the price for everyone, which is great.

That's not true at all. More memory - often, but not always, especially for reference cards.. Clocks? Core clock is irrelevant to Nvidia cards - it's the shader clock that's the biggest factor, and that's sometimes twice that of AMD. And AMD doesn't have a shader clock.

More SP's? Can't really compare because AMD multiplies theirs by 5 and since the way they do the math is very different.

I'd actually say AMD has been way more efficient with their GPUs than Nvidia has been

I'm not saying nvidia is more efficient, I know that to be the extreme contrary. I'm just saying that on paper AMD's cards seem beefier if you read the spec sheets.

I'm not saying nvidia is more efficient, I know that to be the extreme contrary. I'm just saying that on paper AMD's cards seem beefier if you read the spec sheets.

It's all marketing talk, just like how Nvidia changed shaders to "CUDA cores" etc.

It looks a lot better when a 5870 has "1600 stream processors" rather than "320 shader cores" etc.

Well, I guess a lot.could.be blamed.on the difficulty of.creating a software compiler for a 5d shader group with unbalanced shader power. While extracting thread level parallelism pit of already vextorized code is not insanely difficult, NVIDIA chose to go with extremely full featured shaders with a relatively long pipeline.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Not sure I like the way he qualified the quote by saying that no one would be disappointed with the performance for the money. Kind of implies it'll end up being lower performance at a lower price pooint, rather than greater performance period.

Yes I was thinking about that too.
As I see it it could be two ways, either HD6970 is a little bit slower than GTX 580 but at a fair bit lower price, or the HD6970 is faster than GTX 580 but at the same price.

Damn I hate this waiting game.

Yes I was thinking about that too.
As I see it it could be two ways, either HD6970 is a little bit slower than GTX 580 but at a fair bit lower price, or the HD6970 is faster than GTX 580 but at the same price.

Damn I hate this waiting game.

I read it as the fps/dollar being higher, which is giving nothing away about performance unfortunately.

I read it as the fps/dollar being higher, which is giving nothing away about performance unfortunately.

Not explicitly, but you'd think if it was faster than he would say people will be happy with the performance - adding the for the money part implies it isn't as fast. That's reading a lot into a single statement from one guy though, so who knows.

Not explicitly, but you'd think if it was faster than he would say people will be happy with the performance - adding the for the money part implies it isn't as fast. That's reading a lot into a single statement from one guy though, so who knows.

lol no kidding, after one sentence were all like OMFG it rocks :eek::cool: Best card ever, it handles 6 - 30" monitors like playing on a 19" :D
Or we read it like, dude it will be super pricey and not much faster than the 580 :confused::(

How is that Cataclysm expansion? What's the buzz in game, do people like it?

Best New Warcraft Game Ever. Though my hunter is needing a buff, but I'm loving the new water effect. Now I want Blizzard to add that to the rest of the game. AMD better not delay again :mad:

adding the money part does not only implies it isn't as fast, it only means it have a great cost/performance.

You can think either way really, it doesn't tells anything...unless you are a fan of either side, then you have some reading filter within your brain already. :p

You can think either way really, it doesn't tells anything...unless you are a fan of either side, then you have some reading filter within your brain already. :p
This should be sticked in the graphics card forum!

My personal gut feeling is that it will be slower, but better performance per dollar. Speculation time is fun...looking forward to next week (or, since people have piles of them already in stock, later this week!).

Last edited:
adding the money part does not only implies it isn't as fast, it only means it have a great cost/performance.

Which one sounds better - "You'll be impressed with the performance" or "You'll be impressed with the performance for the money"? The first one right, because the second one qualifies how impressed you'll be. That's all I'm saying. I don't think there is any doubt that it is going to have great performance for the dollar, the open question is whether it is going to have great performance - in my mind great performance would mean it beats the 580 by something more than 10% or so, while great performance for the dollar means it is 580 level performance for $50 or so less.

Last edited:
That's reading a lot into a single statement from one guy though, so who knows.

I'm still trying to figure out how he was able to use the card without violating some sort of restriction. I can only assume that he is using the correct BIOS/drivers, since I figured AMD would have provided some new drivers for the 69xx release.

Which one sounds better - "You'll be impressed with the performance" or "You'll be impressed with the performance for the money"? The first one right, because the second one qualifies how impressed you'll be. That's all I'm saying. I don't think there is any doubt that it is going to have great performance for the dollar, the open question is whether it is going to have great performance - in my mind great performance would mean it beats the 580 by something more than 10% or so, while great performance for the dollar means it is 580 level performance for $50 or so less.

To me, it doesn't says anything but comes with great price/performance.

In general, you can also state that it means its a performance beast but with much lower price than GTX 580, the statement also implies that, but you dont know how it perform yet. ;)
Therefore there is no exact answer to this one or toward to one. :D

The problem is actually how he wrote it:

Performance wise well for the money no one will be dissapointed.

You can easily change what he means by actually punctuating it:

Performance wise well, for the money no one will be dissapointed.
Performance wise well, for the money, no one will be dissapointed.
Performance wise, well for the money, no one will be dissapointed.

etc.

Each one has slightly different connotations. The first one, "for the money no one will be dissapointed" can just as easily mean "this card is expensive but no one will be disappointed by the performance" or "this card performs well, and the cost will not disappoint"

in other words, we're reading too much into one un-punctuated line :p

You can easily change what he means by actually punctuating it:

etc.

Each one has slightly different connotations. The first one, "for the money no one will be dissapointed" can just as easily mean "this card is expensive but no one will be disappointed by the performance" or "this card performs well, and the cost will not disappoint"

It not a good grammatical sentence anyway, but I think there's only one way to punctuate it:

Performance-wise, well, for the money, no one will be dissapointed.

He as already told us the price, so we know it costs a little less than the GTX580
- so the card is not expensive, relatively.

But, I think we can't read much into the statement, as he works for a retailer who sells both ATI & NV
- so he has to be careful about what he says about unreleased products
- and he can't say, "Don't buy NV, as this thing is going to totally blow them away", and on the other hand, it's fairly safe to say that it is going to be competitively priced...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back