Let it run or dump it?

AgrFan

[H]ard DCOTM x2
After a long run of Amber 45xx WUs, I got a Gromacs33 5113 WU on my Sempron 2800+ box tonight. It looks like the Ambers are starting to run out. It's going to take 3.5 days 215 PPD to complete. There's something about taking that long to process a work unit that bothers me. I'm running the V6 CPU client with the -advmethods flag for the bonus WUs.

Should I let it run or dump it ... opinions?

It might be time to switch back to WCG (again) on my single-core boxen or re-consider getting a AGP video card and running the GPU client.

I would probably stop it or move it to another DC project. I already turned off my dual PIII many months ago for the same reason. Even with the bonus Ambers it wasn't worth running. If the bonus Amber run is truly at an end, whatever machines I have working solely on the console client will be retired if they can't be upgraded with decent video cards.

Sell parts on ebay, buy 8800GS with money, net power change close to zero, net point change 4k

you= teh win

I wouldn't kill the work unit in order to try getting one of the bonus Ambers. I do know what you are talking about, though. One of the console clients I have to soak up spare cycles on my quads nabbed a Gromacs 33, project 780 for 565 points. It's doing about 66PPD only soaking up spare cycles but it's going to take forever and a day to finish. However, since I'm just using it to soak up extra cycles I'm not going to worry about it.

If you're going to swap the system to another DC project then I wouldn't worry about finished the work unit. I killed a number of work units when I switched all my single core boxen over to WCG.

Until I get my ATI 4850 installed into my HTPC, I have it running the standard client.

It is an E2140 @ 1.6Ghz.
Both clients are running a WU that takes 8 days to complete.
for 250PPD Wu credit around 1500.

I would just let it fold until you come up with something better.
Adding a video card is a good idea if your system supports that upgrade.

I wouldn't kill the work unit in order to try getting one of the bonus Ambers. I do know what you are talking about, though. One of the console clients I have to soak up spare cycles on my quads nabbed a Gromacs 33, project 780 for 565 points. It's doing about 66PPD only soaking up spare cycles but it's going to take forever and a day to finish. However, since I'm just using it to soak up extra cycles I'm not going to worry about it.

If you're going to swap the system to another DC project then I wouldn't worry about finished the work unit. I killed a number of work units when I switched all my single core boxen over to WCG.
I agree that stopping the client to grab a better WU is not good for the project, and I would also continue running a console client if it was a secondary client on a system. However, as a sole client on an obsolete machine once the bonus Ambers end wouldn't be worth the power consumption for me. I'm not only looking at PPD but also considering the amount of science being produced. There wouldn't be much science accomplished with an average of 1-3 WUs per week. At the current ~2 WUs per day average (depending on machine), there's much more science being done.

Hopefully Stanford will be true to its word and have another bonus run in the future. At any rate, do we have a definitive date for the termination of this project?

Hopefully Stanford will be true to its word and have another bonus run in the future. At any rate, do we have a definitive date for the termination of this project?

I don't remember hearing any definitive date but I thought it was supposed to run until around the end of August or something like that. If the end of August is the ending time, it would make sense that some of us are getting other work units now.

I would say if you are looking to fold on it just take the short-term hit and work the unit. Otherwise retire the lappy or find a project that can utilize it better.

I don't remember hearing any definitive date but I thought it was supposed to run until around the end of August or something like that. If the end of August is the ending time, it would make sense that some of us are getting other work units now.

I thought I heard August too, and I'm thinking that I've seen my last one.

But I don't mind the 5113's at all, I'm averaging about 290PPD on these on boxes that were getting 220PPD on the 45xx ambers.

I thought I heard August too, and I'm thinking that I've seen my last one.

But I don't mind the 5113's at all, I'm averaging about 290PPD on these on boxes that were getting 220PPD on the 25xx ambers.

I have a 780 worth 565 points and I think it's doing at least as good as the bonus Ambers were doing. It's somewhat hard to tell since that client is just leeching spare cycles 2 VMs aren't using and I now have A2 core proteins which seem to use a few more cycles than the old A1 core. However, when one of my VMs is uploading a large SMP unit on my meager upstream connection, the console client will jump to more than 300PPD which I believe is higher than I remember seeing it go with the bonus Ambers.

However, I'm not familiar with the Gromacs 33 core and how it performs since I think this is probably the first time I've seen it on one of my systems.

Did a Google search to see if anyone else was getting these, and came across this thread.

I got 4 of these on my Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz machine... I'm getting 650 PPD each on these - for a total of just over 2600 ppd. That is more than double what I was getting with the ambers, so I'm happy :p

I had been running the SMP client until about 2 weeks ago, and everything went haywire for some reason. I tried installing the SMP client 3 separate times, with a different error each time. So, I said screw it, I'll install 4 individual clients to run as a service, and I won't have to worry about it... just took about a 1000 ppd hit to do that. Now, I'm back up to where I was, on a PPD basis.

now, to the topic of the thread - as others have said, don't dump it to get another WU, but if you're going to switch projects anyway - now's as good a time as any.

I switched this box over to WCG temporarily. I will probably restart the CPU client back up this weekend and let it complete. 5113 appears to be a bonus unit as well. 215 PPD is close to what I was getting with the 45xx Ambers.

Back