Lenovo Windows 7 OEM issues

Judd Sandage

Limp Gawd
I work for an auto group and normally we have a few system images to use when we get new computers in, and they work for the most part (hence the "few" bit) but.....

We just got in 5 new Lenovo's, and they all have Windows 7 Pro preinstalled with Windows 8 Recovery discs, as there is no longer a CoA on the case, I used Produkey to pull the windows key from the systems, they are all the same and will not activate with the win7 OEM discs we have from Newegg, I believe that there is a windows 7 key and a windows 8 key in the BIOS, what version of windows 7 can pull the key from the BIOS and use it for activation, besides spending the time trying to clean the already installed version of windows and configuring it... cause there is all kinds of crap installed.

You can use ABR (Activation Backup and Restore) to manually backup royal key and manufacturer certificate, that way you can clean install windows 7 and restore the key/cert any time you want, just install windows and skip entering a serial number.

I don't know how that ABR works but if you find the file on the hard drive <something>.xrm-ms find it and then on the new install issue this command:

slmgr.vbs -ilc /path/to/file.xrm-ms
slmgr.vbs -ipk <product key>

Or just call Lenovo and they should mail you the Windows 7 disc for free. When you use that disc it will install without the need for any product key or activation. What I posted above was just how to do it manually.

I don't know how that ABR works but if you find the file on the hard drive <something>.xrm-ms find it and then on the new install issue this command:

I just did a search on "xrm.ms" and found a ton of files, mostly 2-3K but some that were 700K. Which is the right one ot use?

slmgr.vbs -ilc /path/to/file.xrm-ms
slmgr.vbs -ipk <product key>

Or just call Lenovo and they should mail you the Windows 7 disc for free. When you use that disc it will install without the need for any product key or activation. What I posted above was just how to do it manually.

Ive used the ABR and its great, did you check under the battery for the COA?

I just did a search on "xrm.ms" and found a ton of files, mostly 2-3K but some that were 700K. Which is the right one ot use?
%windir%\system32\oem\OEM.xrm-ms

Windows 7 Professional Lenovo OEM SLP key should be 237XB-GDJ7B-MV8MH-98QJM-24367. The key is useless without the correct Lenovo OEM.xrm-ms file though. Alternately, check C:\Windows\Setup\scripts\SetupComplete.cmd (if it's still there) for the key.

Last edited:
%windir%\system32\oem\OEM.xrm-ms

I have a Lenovo T530 with Win 7 Pro 64, and I found two OEM.xm.ms files, but not in the folder above. In fact, the subfolder OEM doesn't exist in my system32 folder.

Windows 7 Professional Lenovo OEM SLP key should be 237XB-GDJ7B-MV8MH-98QJM-24367. The key is useless without the correct Lenovo OEM.xrm-ms file though. Alternately, check C:\Windows\Setup\scripts\SetupComplete.cmd (if it's still there) for the key.
That script doesn't exist on my T530, although the folder path does.

That key is not the same as the one on the Microsoft sticker. Forgive me if I'm being noob-ish here. :rolleyes:

I have a Lenovo T530 with Win 7 Pro 64, and I found two OEM.xm.ms files, but not in the folder above. In fact, the subfolder OEM doesn't exist in my system32 folder.

I guess Dell uses different paths. The file I have is ~3KB so that's probably the one.

That key is not the same as the one on the Microsoft sticker. Forgive me if I'm being noob-ish here. :rolleyes:
It shouldn't be. The key on the sticker is the COA key, whereas the one I provided is the Lenovo's OEM SLP key.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/diffe...nnel-slp-nonslp-and-coa-license-product-keys/

Back