Lenovo Multimedia Remote

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
Lenovo is selling their multimedia remote for $27. It's a decent wireless HTPC style KB/Trackball for a great price. Just be warned that Lenovo's website stinks to high heaven when it comes to ordering. Use promo code USPC11M26336 at checkout to get 55% off with fee shipping ($27 plus tax).

Lenovo Multimedia Remote Sale

Yeah their ordering sucks. They don't let you checkout with PayPal. Clicking the button just shows you your shopping cart.

Yeah their ordering sucks. They don't let you checkout with PayPal. Clicking the button just shows you your shopping cart.

I used Paypal last time this came up and didn't have trouble, but that was a few months ago.

Nice, was just about to order a remote for my 2nd HTPC, got this instead. Thanks!

have one for the HTPC in the bedroom. Totally worth the $30 I paid a few months back. even has a CTRL+ALT+DEL macro button (I run a domain). perfect for HTPC use where you're not doing much web browsing (address entry)

I used the Amazon checkout w/o issue

Went ahead and ordered one for my PC. Will make it easy to do the whole remote control thing and even surf hulu/netflix streaming from the couch.

Looks like it has good reviews.

have one for the HTPC in the bedroom. Totally worth the $30 I paid a few months back. even has a CTRL+ALT+DEL macro button (I run a domain). perfect for HTPC use where you're not doing much web browsing (address entry)
mine is used on my bedroom htpc as well. I like it a lot in that role

these things are great. i was surprised that it worked during boot and in BIOS and other situations so well. definitely worth the $30, as long as you dont plan on using it in the dark. :)

In for four... thanks for the heads-up.

Anybody know how well these play with XBMC or Linux?

In for four... thanks for the heads-up.

Anybody know how well these play with XBMC or Linux?

Works fine with XMBC. Works just like any wireless keyboard and mouse.. its not really a "remote".

One thing to know is that there aren't any "F" keys, but outside of that I find it to be a very handy mouse/keyboard for things my Harmony remote can't handle. Also the bluetooth receiver is under the battery cover... took me a bit to find it.. thought it was left out.

the lack of F keys does bite me in the ass. particularly when getting into the BIOS or if there is a keyboard/cpu fan error etc.

It's true it's not really a remote. It's a mini keyboard. So you use arrow keys.

great remote but only real killer is the lack of a back light. makes it impossible to use in a dark room. I didn't think it would be a big deal but it really was. I gave it to my brother.

I got this one for myself and its awesome. Great back lighting, responsive track pad and rechargeable battery.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Great deal on a great unit. I have one for my HTPC and its just perfect. Except for the lack of light. Obviously a tiny kb with only 2 triple AA batteries wont usually have a backlight. The part that makes it worse is the shape of the keys. They are all domed up in the middle. This makes using the TV glow impossible still for catching a glimpse of the characters. Still a great device and still recommend it to all with HTPC. Needs to come with a charging cradle and back light for the next generation and become ultimate HTPC remote status.

it's a piece of shit..

no ESC button, no F keys (once you maximize a youtube video the only way to minimize it is to hit the orange button that opens up my computer - atrocious)

it's a piece of shit..

no ESC button, no F keys (once you maximize a youtube video the only way to minimize it is to hit the orange button that opens up my computer - atrocious)
Wtf?

Mine has an esc key.
I think you need to take another look.

Also, youtube has an "Exit Full Screen" button for you to click on the bottom right of a full screen video.

In conclusion, http://www.youtube.com/leanback

I think this is a pretty clear case of PEBKAC :p

Last edited:
it's a piece of shit..

There is definitely an ESC key.

lenovo-remote-e3.jpg

I've got a Logitech Dinovo Mini, but I ordered one just to check it out.

I just bought one from frys electronics last Thursday for full price :(
They are to far away or I would take it back for a refund.I have 2 of these remotes.They are great for an htpc.

I ordered one of these a while back for $30, but was kind of disappointed after reading so many positive reviews.

One issue is, the trackball is relatively 'loose' and if you use your thumb to navigate to an icon on the screen, then lift your thumb to click the mouse button, the action of lifting your thumb off of the trackball is usually enough to knock the mouse cursor off of whatever you wanted to click on. Of course this is with 1 handed operation. If you use 2 hands, 1 on the trackball, and the other to click, then this won't be an issue.

Another issue as mentioned is the lack of 'F'unction keys. This is relatively minor as it doesn't necessarily impact what you are doing unless you specifically need them (like entering BIOS when setting up a system).

Lastly, I purchased mine for the bedroom HTPC. At night, it is relatively dark, this control has no backlighting, so if you need to type something (ie Search for some movie), good luck typing it out on the mini keyboard layout.

Anyways, for $30, I suppose it is ok. For me, I just don't even use it anymore.. although, I've kind of stopped using my HTPC altogether. PS3 is just much more convenient and simple.

Dangit, I just ordered the Rii mini keyboard yesterday for my HTPC. I was looking at this Lenovo too but I didn't see this thread before I ordered, they were pretty much the same price but I went with the Rii since it has backlit keys. I ordered one of these now too, I'll try them both out and keep the one I like, I'll give the other one to my Mom or my sister or something.

Just got mine today. Fast delivery for sure.

In spite of what others say, I'm impressed with it. It's the best HTPC remote I've used and the price was definitely right. I previously used a wireless keyboard with a touch pad. You think the loose ball is bad, you should try this piece of junk with the touch pad. It was highly rated, that's why I bought it.

With an HTPC, you're not likely to do anything complicated so perfection isn't necessary. If I need to, I can always hook a mouse and keyboard to it.

Yeah I just got mine today. It was very easy to setup and so far it seems like it works well.

I think it was intended primarily for business presentations. the way the wireless dongle can be stored in the battery compartment points to it being for laptop owners on the go.

I'll probably take it to work next time I have to present. We use lenovos at work and all the managers will be jealous that I have cooler lenovo swag than they do.

I ordered one of these a while back for $30, but was kind of disappointed after reading so many positive reviews.

One issue is, the trackball is relatively 'loose' and if you use your thumb to navigate to an icon on the screen, then lift your thumb to click the mouse button, the action of lifting your thumb off of the trackball is usually enough to knock the mouse cursor off of whatever you wanted to click on. Of course this is with 1 handed operation. If you use 2 hands, 1 on the trackball, and the other to click, then this won't be an issue.

This.

Its a two handed "remote" only. If you have nothing else, its OK, but I only use it if I absolutely have to. Have one stationed in the exercise room and one my wife uses for her Netflix/Hulu viewing in the bedroom. These things should really have the trackball on top, and the buttons on the bottom in a "pistol" configuration so you can use the mouse+buttons with one hand.

BB

It's not perfect but it gets the job done better than anything else I've tried. It would be nice if it was backlit or maybe the letters painted with glow in the dark paint.

Track ball is a little on the loose side, but I have learned to use it with above 90% accuracy of clicks. Not that hard after using it for a while. Worst part for me is definitely the impossible to see keys. Battery life is very long and if they included a charging base and rechargeables making it backlit would be great.

Track ball is a little on the loose side, but I have learned to use it with above 90% accuracy of clicks. Not that hard after using it for a while. Worst part for me is definitely the impossible to see keys. Battery life is very long and if they included a charging base and rechargeables making it backlit would be great.

I agree, but even though the trackball feels loose, I find it quite accurate.

Just ordered one. $28.89???? Yes please :D. I've been wanting one of these. So glad I ran across this thread! Thank you! My wife doesn't like the keyboard and mouse on the coffee table all the time. And I'll admit, the HL2 mouse pad doesn't exactly go with our decor, haha. :) So this will be a welcome addition to the HTPC (PC1 in sig).

Damn, thanks for this thread!!!
wink.gif
Great offer the there.
Hope the rest of ya don't miss out on it.

Bluetooth, backlit, etc would be nice, but this is less than $30. Logitech has devices with those features and they cost 3-4x as much. This thing can't be beat for the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Building a HTPC for my brother and picked up another one of these. It works great for my HTPC as long as the lights are on.

I used to have a keyboard with trackball and this is much better in my opinion. Again, I do not use it for typing. Due to the standard layout of my old KB, I was able to use it in darkness better. Also had flat color keys, not shiny black, so seeing the letters was easier. Key surface on the lenovo needs to be non-shiny for sure. Flat black would easily help the letters stand out.

Jebo, can you tell me which devices are like the lenovo but with the added features? I would pay the extra I think if it looks worth it. No idea what it takes to make LED lit keys, but if I had the ability, I would open up my lenovo and add my own LED lights. No idea how the unit is constructed though or if it would be possible to make the letters see through.

Look up the denovo mini

If memory serves, it fills those specs.
Posted via Mobile Device

No idea what it takes to make LED lit keys, but if I had the ability, I would open up my lenovo and add my own LED lights. No idea how the unit is constructed though or if it would be possible to make the letters see through.

My modding nature kicked in and I thought the same thing. :) I'm sure there is a way.

1. Glow in the dark paint for painting the letters?
2. Dremel out each tiny little letter and squeeze in as many LEDs as you can fit?
3. Or what about external LEDs that shine down on the keyboard? Molded in to match the controller.

Back