Lenovo L220X

basserdan

n00b
Just got a Lenovo L220X a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd pass on my opinion about it. It's great, buy it! If you were considering it, you will not be disappointed. I know I'm not qualified to give a serious evaluation so, I'll leave that to the few reviews there are.

I can confirm the reviewers' overall impressions, it's a beautiful thing. The wider color gamut (92%) and the fact that it's an S-PVA panel, give it incredible color reproduction. Coming from a TN panel (Samsung 930bf), everything I've seen before, I am seeing again, all brand new. Really, when it first came to life, my icons were rich with color, had such smooth gradients and have more detail as a result.

Of course, the first thing that caught my attention about this monitor was at 22" it
was a 1920 x 1200 res. I assumed I was priced out of a good, higher resolution monitor. I don't hear much about 'hi-res' except in regard to HD playback capability. On LCDs, it seems like res. only increases proportionally with screen size. There's a lot of concern over anti-aliasing and other techniques to make shapes appear more graceful. Increased resolution within a given space, just allows for a finer detail. Concerns over text really aren't necessary since text size can be set in display properties to any size you like.

I had originally intended to get a 24" TN panel. Man, am I glad I didn't! The degree of performance from this monitor is more than a fair exchange for more screen size. I just began shooting in RAW format. Looking at the pics I've processed in PE with my old monitor, the color is mostly bad some, very bad. That monitor was regularly calibrated with my Spyder2 and had about as good of a color as it was capable of. It simply could not reproduce color that was there in the picture. That would have been fun trying to get a print from any of these. I have to admit, I did not really understand what the actual necessity of a good monitor for color correction or RAW processing was. Apparently, it refers to the fact that it cannot be done on a shitty display.

Of course, there are games. WOW! Again, stunning. I lack the graphics power at the moment to play any new games. The ones I am replaying though, keep me playing in astonishment over how freaking good they look. The difference is so incredible it's hard to explain what a completely new experience this monitor is providing.

And that would be my ultimate point here. As far as total satisfaction goes, no
upgrade in 10 years of continuous upgrades has rewarded me so much as this, the most interfaced compnent of a computer. Apparently, size and pixel response are only two aspects to consider in a monitor. My advice, the next time you consider a monitor upgrade/replacement, try to talk yourself into a better panel, I don't think you'll regret it. The downside, I can never again settle for less, the very thought is depressing.

I ordered from ANTOnline. The last time I checked though, they had it listed for about $25 more than I paid. I did find a lot of stores carry this monitor however, just search L220X. I found a number of stores in google product search results with good customer ratings. I then checked them against reselleratings and still found quite a few good choices. ANTOnline was prompt in shipping. Good luck!

I picked up the Lenovo. Nice resolution and viewing angles, but the panel is very sparkly.

Sorry for the late reply to 'gaming' quest, I did not get a notification.
I have re-played a couple of games since I got the monitor. I am waiting for Nvidia stabilize with a new clear-cut "king" to upgrade my gpu before I play any new games. However, what I have played looks great! I haven't ever owned a really good monitor but they all had to, at least, be fast enough to not influence gameplay. From the few reviews I found about this monitor, all reported no ghosting or lag. I took 'em at their word and have not been disappointed. I am satisfied that this monitor meets my minimum performance spec. in that respect.

Well, I guess I should have a done search on here. Lots of people using the exact same words to describe newer PVA panels.

I'll still probably keep the Lenovo, since it's resolution is very nice for the work I do.

Yeah, I see what you mean now. In some colors it's more noticable than others. I don't know how it may compare to older/other PVA panels. When I first saw it, I noticed it seems to reveal itself in areas where there are gradations or shades of a color. I suppose I'm so impressed with this screen's ability to reproduce these shades with such a smooth transition it doesn't offend me. I am coming from a TN panel that would have chopped these "shades" into a paint by number.

To see it best all you have to do is load up something like Dead Pixel Buddy or Dead Pixel Tester.

Put up a solid color on the screen like red or green. You will see sparkles. Sorry to hear that about this particular model. I've seen this more as a problem on S-IPS panels. The 23" Cinema display is the worst I've ever seen.

10e

Well I've seen the 23" ACD @ the Apple Store. I thought it was a bit sparkly, but my impression was that it was pretty nice.

All you have to do with this Lenovo is startup Vista with the default background to see the sparkle/grain. Voila!

Anyway, I'm surprised nobody mentioned this in their reviews of this LCD. I've only seen it mentioned as an attribute of the newer PVA panels.

The sparkles are the result of lower quality in mass production, which causes a deformed LCD structure. What you see is the unevenness in the quality of each sub-pixel construction. This is pretty much inevitable in order for them to keep costs down. H-IPS doesn't have this problem but is much more expensive than any other LCD.

Thanks for the technical explanation. I find the grain/sparkly to be distracting. Maybe it'll get better with user break-in. ;)

Back