Left 4 Dead Demo Released

HardOCP News

[H] News
A demo of Left 4 Dead has been released to those people that have pre-ordered the game. Everyone else will have to wait until November 11th to get it. Are you getting Left 4 Dead?

The trial includes the first two levels of the hospital-themed No Mercy campaign, playable in both online and offline co-op mode. Early access to the demo can only be gained by pre-ordering the title, either from Steam or GameStop/EB Games. The same pre-order promotion also offers a 10% discount on the game.

That's great and all, but I don't see how that fulfills the role of a demo. I thought demos, or "demonstrations" were for those who are unfamiliar, uneasy, uncertain, about a product and wanted to try it out. If it's only available to those who have preordered it, then the people who want to experiment with the game, still do not have access to a demo. Instead, they reward only those who have already preordered it?

Doesn't make sense to me.

The rest of us, regardless of pre-order, get to try it for a week starting the 11th. Pre-Orders just get in early. Don't see the problem.

fur sure.. they dont make enough co-op games... well at least action ones... fcuk if im gonna be bored to death playing an mmorpg

im waiting to see reviews first. tired of pre-ordering games that end up being shite.

This is pretty dumb.

This might get me to preorder it so I can play the demo this weekend, but It doesn't make any more/less likely I will buy the game.

However, the sooner I get the demo the more likely I am to order the game when its released.

I had a blast playing the SP, getting ready to go online for some co-op. Graphics are pretty good and the game runs well on my system with everything on high/very high, 16xAF and 8XAA.(Q6600, 8GB, 8800GTS 512)

quick question: does this game have a story or point to it or is it just running around shooting the crap out of zombies? I know the game can be played in single player but if all it is a "multi player type" game with no story the Ill pass.

Zombies are fun :D

I played the first chapter and it was a blast, runs smooth too.

The best thing about the pre-order if you are going to get this game is that you get $5 off. Getting early access to the demo was just another perk they threw in.

From what other info Valve has released prior to the demo it sounds like the full game has quite a bit of content and more than one MP mode, so this is going to be a ton of fun.

I played this through online and offline. If you get it I'd recommend sticking to online, as your offline AI cooperatives are too good and "see" everything coming regardless of light and distraction. The game itself is... nerve racking on many occasions. Can't wait to play through the full thing at a LAN.

I can't wait to go home form work and play this sucker. I Pre-ordered and pre-loaded this last night. I wanted to get a box from a BnM but F EA, and thank god for Steam.

Moar like the Left 4 Dead Beta. Just sounds to me like they are trying to iron out bugs like they did with TF2.

What bugs did you see, SixtyWattMan?

I've been really enjoying it thus far on my setup which should be the most difficult system to play on (Vista 64 and a 9800GX2).

What bugs did you see, SixtyWattMan?

I've been really enjoying it thus far on my setup which should be the most difficult system to play on (Vista 64 and a 9800GX2).

I don't have it, but everything has bugs. Just because you don't have them doesn't mean they don't exist on some systems.

uhhh... isnt the point of a demo playing it BEFORE you buy it to see if you like it ???

wouldnt you be gutted if you preordered it then played the demo and it turned out to be shite lol :D

uhhh... isnt the point of a demo playing it BEFORE you buy it to see if you like it ???

wouldnt you be gutted if you preordered it then played the demo and it turned out to be shite lol :D
well people pre-order games all the time with no demo at all. if youre worried about pre-ordering and not liking it then you can always wait till next week when everybody can get the demo.

BoratSuccess2.jpg

How do you install the demo? I've tried clicking on "install demo" in Steam and nothing happens (tried on 3 seperate computers and 2 accounts).

I watched my friend "attempt" to play L4D.

I don't think I've ever seen a demo be this buggy. Obviously this was before the 8PM (PST) patch. So yeah, East Coast people who have work/school tomorrow didn't really have a chance to play the patched L4D demo.

Hopefully the big problems (flakey server matching, the 15 retry error, etc.) have been reduced significantly.

I'm going to wait for the demo and reviews of the full game as well. Too many other games out there and not enough cash

I'm going to wait for the demo and reviews of the full game as well. Too many other games out there and not enough cash

QFT. This is NOT the time to start slipping, this is the most competitive gaming holiday season in a long time.

I honestly approve of the way Valve is doing the release.

There were all kinds of problems with servers last night having to do with the matchmaking system and dedicated servers. They have already released a patch fixing a lot of these issues and thus making it less of a hassle for the people that haven't paid for the pre-release demo.

Valve is good about fixing problems, but the state of the launch is a little disheartening.
No worries, I can be patient :)

Valve is good about fixing problems, but the state of the launch is a little disheartening.
No worries, I can be patient :)
I think the demo's launch will effectively help iron out the relatively big issues that may have come up during the actual launch.

...So you're just making things up?

That's cool too.

Is demo is not something you give to people who have already bought the game. They did the same thing with TF2 except they actually called it a beta. It's not a bad thing, it helped get rid of a lot of bugs and balance issues in TF2, but it's not a demo. I'm not making anything up, go read the forums if you think Valve is capable of making a game with out bugs.

Well, I've got almost seven hours logged in it playing with a bunch of friends and all I have to say is bring on the full frigging game already. :D

Well, I've got almost seven hours logged in it playing with a bunch of friends and all I have to say is bring on the full frigging game already. :D

I agree wholeheartedly with this guy except the part about 7 hours. I only logged about 2. Who wants to shoot zombies with me?

Is demo is not something you give to people who have already bought the game. They did the same thing with TF2 except they actually called it a beta. It's not a bad thing, it helped get rid of a lot of bugs and balance issues in TF2, but it's not a demo. I'm not making anything up, go read the forums if you think Valve is capable of making a game with out bugs.

I was just curious what problems you've had with the game. Surely you realize my confusion when you haven't even installed the game.

I was just curious what problems you've had with the game. Surely you realize my confusion when you haven't even installed the game.

I could play the "demo," but oh wait, I haven't BOUGHT the game so I don't get to play the "demo."

Back