Left 4 dead 2 LAN...

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
this is being annoying. I'm sure i'm missing something obvious...

I've got two computers, with lan ports, and a CAT5 patch cable going between the two.

I tried to use the console commands to make a lan game on left 4 dead 2

sv_lan 1
net_start
map (map code)

then on the client:
connect (lan ip)

the second connected to the game, both with the other players character visible, but controlled by the AI instead of by the other player...

Is there a simple way of playing L4D2 over lan? The internet here sucks too bad to have 2 players at once, and the lag is a real pain in the ass...

Check the basic networking first before you try games.

Is it a crossover cable?
Are the network settings set correctly?
Can you ping each others computer OK?

I'm a bit rusty because of wireless networks and having not set up a wired lan since...windows 98...

It's just a standard patch cable :( I think that might be the problem. You can swap 2 sets of pins and make it a crossover can't you (1 and 3 and 2 and 6? or something) Or don't some network adapters swap in inputs for you? Would probably be easier to get another cable as their only about $6.

As for the network settings, windows 7 seems to have a pelthora of wizards for wireless (I like stuff easy sometimes), but non for lan. I set both connectors to use 192.168.0.8/9 and a 255.255.0.0 (the default) subnet. Theres data being sent down the connection constantly, and I can ping down the connection fine (1ms latency!) though I might be pinging wrong...

I'm such a fool occasionaly. But even I know to never ever get sky...:(

Edit: also one can be set to home network, but the other PC will only shot "connected" but wont change off unspecified public"

Last edited:
Is there a simple way of playing L4D2 over lan? The internet here sucks too bad to have 2 players at once, and the lag is a real pain in the ass...

Just log in through Steam, create a Friends Only Game, Local Server and voila. We were setting them up this way when we were in South America last week, your not connection won't matter since you're hosting behind the lan anyway.

clipboard01.jpg

Just log in through Steam, create a Friends Only Game, Local Server and voila. We were setting them up this way when we were in South America last week, your not connection won't matter since you're hosting behind the lan anyway.

If I have 2 connections (wireless and lan) does it just automatically configure to LAN?

If I have 2 connections (wireless and lan) does it just automatically configure to LAN?

It shouldn't matter. I've played as local server with people on my network (both wireless and physical) and their pings are usually 10 or lower. Just try it out and see.

I'm a bit rusty because of wireless networks and having not set up a wired lan since...windows 98...

It's just a standard patch cable :( I think that might be the problem. You can swap 2 sets of pins and make it a crossover can't you (1 and 3 and 2 and 6? or something) Or don't some network adapters swap in inputs for you? Would probably be easier to get another cable as their only about $6.

As for the network settings, windows 7 seems to have a pelthora of wizards for wireless (I like stuff easy sometimes), but non for lan. I set both connectors to use 192.168.0.8/9 and a 255.255.0.0 (the default) subnet. Theres data being sent down the connection constantly, and I can ping down the connection fine (1ms latency!) though I might be pinging wrong...

I'm such a fool occasionaly. But even I know to never ever get sky...:(

Edit: also one can be set to home network, but the other PC will only shot "connected" but wont change off unspecified public"

You need to use a crossover cable if you're connecting both network cards together directly, the pins need to be swapped on the cable for this type of direct connection, you can buy crossover cables pretty cheap.

Just use basic LAN setting such as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 for the 2 computer IP addresses with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Only thing after that is to make sure L4D is allowed through your computers local firewall.

You should be able to connect both PCs online and set up games to a dedicated server with friends only, it might be easier depending on the network. If you have a router for your connection just wire both PCs in to that with standard cat5 cables and let it auto configure with DHCP

Mesh networks FTL...just get a router and connect your two computers to them...done.

You both log into Steam. One person creates a Friends Only Game set to Local Sever like shown above. Once the lobby is created you friend invite them in and voila. 10ish or under ping for both of yous.

It shouldn't matter. I've played as local server with people on my network (both wireless and physical) and their pings are usually 10 or lower. Just try it out and see.

I fixed the damned router, and while it had a load of ping still (like 20ms) it did for a few rounds :D Need the real cable.

You need to use a crossover cable if you're connecting both network cards together directly, the pins need to be swapped on the cable for this type of direct connection, you can buy crossover cables pretty cheap.

Just use basic LAN setting such as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 for the 2 computer IP addresses with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Only thing after that is to make sure L4D is allowed through your computers local firewall.

You should be able to connect both PCs online and set up games to a dedicated server with friends only, it might be easier depending on the network. If you have a router for your connection just wire both PCs in to that with standard cat5 cables and let it auto configure with DHCP

Thankyou!

I found a 10m one for about $6 (4gbp). I'd rather not open that box of worms when its so cheap to get a new cable!

I was worried about (for some reason) that if I set both to 192.168.0.1 it might get confused between the wireless and lan...i'm not sure why now...

Do I run the dedicated server client too?

There is a router, but its downstairs and people get pissy about cables being anywhere :( I do have an old router somewhere I could use as a switch, but it might have been thrown away! I'll see what gets here first, the new cable or me finding the router :D

Mesh networks FTL...just get a router and connect your two computers to them...done.

Read above! It might be happening :D thankyou!

You both log into Steam. One person creates a Friends Only Game set to Local Sever like shown above. Once the lobby is created you friend invite them in and voila. 10ish or under ping for both of yous.

I mean, does it know which to pick as there is no setting for it? The wireless meshing did kind of work with only 20ms! (the wireless card in this one is ancient...)

Back