Leaving your computer on 24/7 with the 4850 or 4870

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
Do you guys ever leave your computer on 24/7 or at least a 24 hour period because you have to download big file(s) on the internet?

I have my 4850 card on its factory fan setting and have had the computer on for over 24 hours straight. The idle temp for the card is 80 degrees Celsius.
I have it at fan factory setting because I like a super quiet computer.

But I am not too worry because my 4850 card is from Visiontek so if it breaks down, I will get a new one since it has lifetime warranty.

2qjx8hd.jpg

80C on an idle card, something is not right. That thing is going to melt under load if that temp. is accurate.

Still, Nvidia line cards also have fans that ramp up and I never recall seeing a G80-based 8800GTS reach 80C unless it was under load.

80C on an idle card, something is not right. That thing is going to melt under load if that temp. is accurate.

The 4850 typically idles at 78C - 82C. The fan is nearly turned off when the card is idle, making the cooler virtually silent but causing these high temps. The fan is temperature controlled and ramps up (if ever so slightly) when running games - normal temperatures when running games are 85C - 90C and over 96C when running something like Furmark.

I've left my computer on for nearly 24 hours a few times..allthough I usually turn it off or have it go into standby after 3 hours. ATI sais the cards handle these temperatures fine so they'd better last at least several years.

Yup, I love how quiet the 4850 is on the default fan setting. I cannot hear a thing and my computer is virtually silent.

Well if that's the regular idle temp of that card, by all means ignore me - my reference point was the G80 chipset which I thought had similar thermal properties. Guess not!

What are you guys using to monitor your temps? I got my my ASUS 4850 yesterday and its smart doctor util says it sits at 60C with the fan at 40%. I'm all of a sudden wanting to question the validity of those readings.

If it's legit, that'd be great because when the fan runs higher than that it all of a sudden becomes a noisy thing from its otherwise silence.

What are you guys using to monitor your temps? I got my my ASUS 4850 yesterday and its smart doctor util says it sits at 60C with the fan at 40%. I'm all of a sudden wanting to question the validity of those readings.

If it's legit, that'd be great because when the fan runs higher than that it all of a sudden becomes a noisy thing from its otherwise silence.

You can see the CCC overdrive screen in screen shot in the first post. Look on the right side. There is a constant display of the GPU temp.

I have the same visiontek board as the OP. The default idle clock out of the box was 16% yielding a 76C reading at idle. I bumped the fan speed up to 30% and the temps are now 50C and it's still very quiet.

Regretfully, I haven't had time to do any serious gaming this week, so I can't give you any load temps.

If I'm not mistaken, Asus has two versions of the 4850. One is overclocked a bit which would give you slightly higher temps. 60C at 40% doesn't sound completely out of line.

Well if that's the regular idle temp of that card, by all means ignore me - my reference point was the G80 chipset which I thought had similar thermal properties. Guess not!

Well ATI sais the RV770 chip is certified to operate at over 100C and that's for a long life. Its supposed to be able to operate at up to 125C without taking permanent damage. I guess we'll find out in a year or two whether those claims were true...

The G80 actually puts out more heat than either the 4850 or 4870. However ATI is using much lower fan speeds by default which is why the cards run hotter. Also the 4850 is equiped with a single-slot cooler even though its heat output is the same as the dual-slot 3870. I guess it's all part of ATI push to market these cards as "efficient", since a single-slot card will look "lean" and efficient while a big dual-slot cooler will make the card look like a big, bulky, inefficient card.

I turn my laptop every night because it drives too much heat into the room. I can't imagine what Im going to do when I get that new PC.

You can see the CCC overdrive screen in screen shot in the first post. Look on the right side. There is a constant display of the GPU temp.

I have the same visiontek board as the OP. The default idle clock out of the box was 16% yielding a 76C reading at idle. I bumped the fan speed up to 30% and the temps are now 50C and it's still very quiet.

Regretfully, I haven't had time to do any serious gaming this week, so I can't give you any load temps.

If I'm not mistaken, Asus has two versions of the 4850. One is overclocked a bit which would give you slightly higher temps. 60C at 40% doesn't sound completely out of line.

Ahh, I see. I thought you guys had your fan speeds up a little higher and were still yielding those ~80C temps, so I figured I had a sensor broken somewhere or something. lol

Also, nah, my card isn't OC'd, I just have terrible airflow in my case because I have a rat's nest going for me since I refuse to cut up my pretty, psuedo Lian-Li to hide wires. :p

But I can live with the fan as it is, and even better if the card's rated to handle much hotter anyway.

I was under the impression that you had to do some manual modifications to raise the fan speed, but if you can just do it in the control panel I'll be doing that as soon as I get my 4850.

I was under the impression that you had to do some manual modifications to raise the fan speed, but if you can just do it in the control panel I'll be doing that as soon as I get my 4850.

You do need to manually modify the profile files to change the fan speed. However, it isn't necessary to change it altogether since the stock fan settings are adequate for cooling the card.

My card is stock with no fan profile modification and idles about 65-69C. When gaming, it does go up to 70-80C. Is there a way to check the temp during gaming? Right now the only way I can check it is to do an Alt-Tab, and then open CCC, but at that point it shows gpu activity as zero.

My system has been on 24/7 for practically 2 years. Still runs like a champ! Just make sure you do the fan speed adjustment and you'll be fine!

The reason his idle temp is high is because he has overdrive enabled, which keeps his clocks at 3D speeds.

I don't leave my PC on overnight, I don't see the point. It just creates light, noise, and head in my room when I'm trying to sleep.

The reason his idle temp is high is because he has overdrive enabled, which keeps his clocks at 3D speeds.

I don't leave my PC on overnight, I don't see the point. It just creates light, noise, and head in my room when I'm trying to sleep.

If my computer created head for me, it'd be on 24/7 :p

Im not at home to check, but pretty sure using overdrive still allows the card to reduce clocks when not doing 3d work. I dont think CCC will show it but gpu-z will

FlashGordon- the new version of gpu-z has a temp/fan speed sensor logging function, everest is also very good for logging your whole system

I got the MSI 4850 with the big ole heat sink on it. My temps idleing around 29-32 C.

9600GT:
Idle Temps: 43c
temps.png

Clock speeds:
clocks.png

Significantly lower... although this isn't a super "high end" card.
My fan is at 75% fixed and I can hear it over anything else in my case but I don't mind it at all... maybe 30-35db? just a guess.

GPU-Z

ek5.png

Back