• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Leaving OC System on 24/7?

What parts are in the system, what is the OC, and what kind of voltages are you using? Also have you run P95, Memtest86+, etc. for stability testing?
 
As long as the extra heat is handled well and the overclock is stable, you wont have any issues.
A decent PSU is a must.
I've been running 24/7 for years, currently with E8400@4.1GHz.
 
Depends on cooling and what certain voltage your gonna keep it at, To me, 1.45V is what most people will consider the max safe voltage for 24/7 oc, some feel its 1.4V and or 1.375V, Just really depends on how well you cool your overclock.

I have been running My E5200 @ 4.3Ghz Full Blast @ 1.495V for 3+ months and its as stable as the first day i put it in, I also kept it cool under a lapped tuniq in my masstige (Awesome airflow case, very loud as well) that kept it under 25C idle and around 65C load.

I actually just turned it down to 3.8ghz as well as my ram (920 Speeds) due to my system just idling most of the time its on, Which its always on, according to everest, my computer has not been turned off for 23 days. :eek:

So pretty much, if you keep it cool, most overclocks can be left 24/7.
 
Depends on cooling and what certain voltage your gonna keep it at, To me, 1.45V is what most people will consider the max safe voltage for 24/7 oc, some feel its 1.4V and or 1.375V, Just really depends on how well you cool your overclock.

I have been running My E5200 @ 4.3Ghz Full Blast @ 1.495V for 3+ months and its as stable as the first day i put it in, I also kept it cool under a lapped tuniq in my masstige (Awesome airflow case, very loud as well) that kept it under 25C idle and around 65C load.

I actually just turned it down to 3.8ghz as well as my ram (920 Speeds) due to my system just idling most of the time its on, Which its always on, according to everest, my computer has not been turned off for 23 days. :eek:

So pretty much, if you keep it cool, most overclocks can be left 24/7.

1.5V is alot for 24/7 use, especially for a 45nm CPU. Makes me wonder if your cooling is good enough if you see a 40C spread from idle to load. Nice overclock though, but CPU's lifespan is probably dramatically reduced, IMO.
 
Is the 650W PSU sufficient or should I upgrade to a 850W?

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 - $289.99
Memory - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $149.99
Motheboard - DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8 LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $299.99
Video - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 - $219.99
Sound - ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 - $89.99
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - $99.99
HSF - Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme - $74.95
Harddrive (OS/Program/Games) - Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM - $99.99
Harddrive (Storage) - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM - $129.99
 
my opty 170 has been on 24/7 for going on 3 years now... OC'd to 2.8ghz.. I should add, this is at default vcore... still and all this chip has been a real trooper. 0550vpmw

I leave my core i7 machine off when not using it.
 
I think 650W is sufficient unless you're going to put in another 260 for SLI.
 
1.5V is alot for 24/7 use, especially for a 45nm CPU. Makes me wonder if your cooling is good enough if you see a 40C spread from idle to load. Nice overclock though, but CPU's lifespan is probably dramatically reduced, IMO.

3 months straight at 1.5V and still passes 35 full stress ibt runs. Nothing seems out of place. I bought this second E5200 to test out the whole life span thing and like i said, 3 months at 1.5V, no effect on stability at known clocks.

I kinda want to build a second off computer to leave on at 1.5V to see how long it can last before the cpu dies and or i start noticing stability issues.

As for the thread, Im pretty sure your gonna stay under what most consider safe 24/7 volts, If so, i would not worry about it not handling it.
 
Back
Top