Learning Cisco IOS/Routers/Switches

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I would like to start diving into Cisco equipment. For those of you with past experience -- are the various simulators that are available a viable option? Or is it much better to purchase all the equipment despite the costs?

If taking the equipment route, it appears that the 1700 or 2500 series router are the best solutions. In terms of switches, the 1900 series appears to be a good choice for the price. What do you all think?

Also, do these lower-end devices prohibit the learning experience? Specifically, do they support a limited ammount of commands than the higher-end equipment? I am assuming that they are enough to become quite extensive with Cisco configurations -- with ample time and effort of course.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Cedric

I have completed the lab sections for Test Out: http://www.testout.com/ccna/. They rate it at 20 hours of material but it took a while longer. As well there is courseware and exam preps on the CD as well but I have yet to complete them.

I have no idea how well it prepares you for the Cert, but it seemed pretty extensive and had a good listing of commands. I definately feel comfortable working with the IOS after completing it.

When you start out learning IOS, running on lower end hardware is ok. You mostly spend time learning how to get around, learning the basics. Even on a Cat 2950, you can do quite a bit.

By the time you have mastered most L2 technologies and Basic routing, hopefully by then you will be working somewhere with access to better equipment.

Thanks for the response -- I really appreciate it.

Do you guys recommend purchasing the hardware, or purchasing a simulator? Are the simulators sufficient?

I've never touched the actual hardware yet, so I can't really say. But the simulation I posted is quite good. Later on it has you running through trough simulations and troubleshoothing involving multiple networks, switches, routers and workstations. It lets you click on each picture which then pulls up the OS for the device, such as MS-DOS for workstations and IOS for the Cisco devices. You then configure the devices as needed.

One thing it doesn't really cover well is the firmware updates and such, so it might be a good idea to buy both the Sim CD and then a cheaper device if you can find a good deal. Then you get the best of both worlds.

I think the best way is get an CCNA 1-2 Book, and Read it, Than go to the Sim's
With the new Cisco Books, You Packet Tracer 3.2.. Which is Very Nice Program :D
Also, do Online Reading and Searching, Will find lots of stuff

I used the routersim software to pass my CCNA exam. It was pretty good, but lacked all of the features of a full device. It was, however, good enough for an intro. Now that I work with Cisco devices all day long, and plan to begin work on my CCNP soon, I am working on acquiring real devices, so that I can get a better in-depth feel for both the IOS and the hardware that I work with.

Alright -- so the simulation software should be sufficient to get a CCNA. Anyone try the Boson Netsim simulator?

Im currently enrolled in Cisco NetAcad. We work with hardware and simulators. You might want to look into buying some cheap cisco routers off of ebay.

I would defiantly recommend going through the CISCO Networking Academy. You can most likely find CISCO courses offered at your local community college.

Hi guys:

I am currently a student at DeVry University pursuing a bachelors in network and communications management. I have a Cisco class coming up soon -- I just would like to start diving into the basics and have some type of resource to work with now and while I am taking the class in the future.

Back