• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Learning Build

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
370
Okay, so my two nephews (10 and 11) want to build their first computer and their mother is willing to appease them since they have shown an interest and she wants them to learn more about it. They also needed a new computer anyway so she's just trying to kill two birds with one stone.

I have not had to deal with building a machine in over a year since I started working in our firm's networking department, so I have no idea what the best bang for the buck is and I know you guys do.

There is no set-in-stone budget per se, they're well off and they will be using the computer for practical purposes, but we don't need a monster machine here so I don't want them to break the bank.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? They are homeschooled kids so they'll be using educational software and games, they play the new Lego MMORPG I guess, research, Word and Powerpoint. Internet. Some picture editing and modeling software.

2) What's your budget? No specific budget, but I want something reasonable. As a starting point let's go with $750 but there's definitely leeway there if something quite a bit better is just a few bucks more (or conversely, if you can build a solid machine on the cheap, all for it!).

3) Where do you live? Not within range of any store that would be able to facilitate our needs.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU, motherboard, case, memory, hard drive, optical drive, video card, sound card, wireless card, power supply, fans if necessary based on case, stock heatsink should do them fine. They do need a monitor, speakers, and wireless/keyboard mouse but that doesn't necessarily have to be included in the budget (again, if we can get a hell of a deal, we're definitely on board).

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? All new.

6) Will you be overclocking? Nope.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have? I'd say they'd get by with a 20"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Next couple of weeks.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? Nothing too out of the ordinary.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? They want to throw XP on it.

I'd like to get them a dedicated video card and I'll probably get a cheaper sound card just so they can see PCI and PCIx16 and that sort of thing. We want this to be affordable but still, like I said, eventually it will be used for practical purposes and it is an educational experience, so they're not like super-strict on budget.
 
Do you get charged tax by Newegg? If so, is that factored into the cost or your etailer choice?

XP? Really? Nice shiny new comp with XP?!?! :(

How often do they get a new computer?

22" is the new 20" ;) I'll do a build later, if someone doesnt beat me to it.
 
I would prefer to order all from Newegg unless there is a nice deal somewhere.

They have Windows 7 on a laptop in the house and aren't crazy about it, and as it's the kids' build, I'm fine with them throwing XP on it.

20" will do them fine, as I said, and doesn't need to be included in the build as I also said.
 
Okay, so my two nephews (10 and 11) want to build their first computer and their mother is willing to appease them since they have shown an interest and she wants them to learn more about it. They also needed a new computer anyway so she's just trying to kill two birds with one stone.
.

For inspiration, here is a "video" of my kids building my rig. 3 years ago and the build is still flawless!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2XVeEDqGUc

Good luck with your build.
 
My suggestion:

$219 - Phenom II X4 925 + Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

$150 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 + G.Skill DDR3-1333 4GB

$100 - Sapphire 4850 Vapor-X (pretty good deal imo, 1gb vapor-x model for $85 after rebate)

$145 - Corsair 650TX + Samsung F3 1TB

$70 - Cooler Master CM 690 II
-------------------------
Total = $685

PSU may be a bit overkill but the combo with the cheap cheap cheap F3 1TB makes it a good deal (and gives you quite a bit of headroom in the future). I included Win 7 because if you throw XP on this machine you deserve to be punched in the face (hehehehe just kidding, but seriously, get windows 7 and force them to use it). Case should be very easy to work with and cable management should be pretty easy even though its not a modular psu. It will destroy any games they want to play on it, which makes this all the more fun that they get to build it!

I will let someone else suggest the peripherals (including wireless card).

I wouldn't bother with a cheap sound card, if you end up getting a pci wifi card, then you have both the PCI and PCIe slots covered (not like there is really much to learn there anyways).

Hope this helps and be sure to tell those kids that they are damn lucky to build such a badass computer at that age! /jealous
 
Last edited:
Oh, would rather not deal with any mail-in rebates if at all possible. Sorry, forgot to mention that before. I agree that those are some killer deals but we want to avoid mail-ins at all cost.
 
I didn't factor that mail in rebate into it. It's still a good deal at $100. It's just an added bonus I noticed after I added it to my cart. As you can see I still labeled it as $100 but just mentioned what it would be after rebate.
 
Oh, would rather not deal with any mail-in rebates if at all possible. Sorry, forgot to mention that before. I agree that those are some killer deals but we want to avoid mail-ins at all cost.
That's basically has been standard policy for this subforum: Never factor in the rebates.
 
Solid, thanks for the help Shadow. That video card deal died a little, though. They have it up to $105 with like $7 shipping. Any other suggestions or still thinking stick with that one?
 
Given the usage I think Shadows build is a fair amount of overkill.. This saves about 50 bucks (from his listed price, not current given the video card change) & will perform much the same. Plus I added an optical drive.

And I agree.. I Would not invest in win XP at this point.. Its nearing the end of its life cycle & since Win 7 can be combo's with about anything it ends up cheaper..

180 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit + Athlon II x4 620
95 Antec VSK-2000 Black ATX Mid Tower + Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W
150 GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 + G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
100 GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850
75 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
18 LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R

Shipped total is 633. & If the budget is tight still for the usage the CPU & Video card could both still be reduced & perform well.
 
That looks like a solid build as well. Is there any performance drive out there that is reasonably priced and a bit smaller than a 1TB? They really won't come even close to using that much storage. Like, they'd get by fine with a 250, but for practicality and performance's sake, I wouldn't be opposed to 500-640ish.
 
55 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 500GB 7200 RPM
The 1tb is typically recommended just because it doubles the capacity for 20 bucks
 
55 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 500GB 7200 RPM
The 1tb is typically recommended just because it doubles the capacity for 20 bucks

Understandable, and if there was even the smallest bit of worry they'd get up to say, 200GB of data, I would snatch the 1TB up in a heartbeat. But really, if I can save $20 with no worry of that happening, so much the better.
 
I Guess that depends on how long they keep it.. Also Home schooled kids with a decent digital camera will end up filling ALOT of space (at least my youngest sister did) when they become teenagers.
 
Thanks for the help. What about a monitor? Any deals you can recommend? Size 19"-22", doesn't really matter.
 
So this had to be delayed a bit for her to clear it with her husband, but they're ready to buy now. Unfortunately a lot of the deals and combos that we were using to save some cash have expired. Would anyone be able to put together a similar build to the one bastage put together with some updated deals?
 
So this had to be delayed a bit for her to clear it with her husband, but they're ready to buy now. Unfortunately a lot of the deals and combos that we were using to save some cash have expired. Would anyone be able to put together a similar build to the one bastage put together with some updated deals?

kevinzak, do you have a Costco nearby?
 
Not within like 200-some miles, why?

The item with your highest chance of failure is the monitor. Not just total failure, but lines and dead pixels are pretty common with budget monitors. Nothing more disappointing than building a system and then not being able to see anything, or have it look bad. Then you have to spend $$ shipping it in to get (hopefully fixed) and wait.

However, Costco has a new policy on monitors so if there is ANYTHING wrong with it within 18 months you can just take it back in and get a new one. They also carry Samsungs, which are great budget LCD's and some of them are lower than newegg cost.

Another option is BestBuy, which has a 90 day replacement program.

So, unless you are buying a high-end monitor from a company with rock solid support I highly recommend buying the monitor from a local brick and mortar.
 
We actually had a 20" monitor in the office we bought from Dell for a customer who changed their minds, and got a hell of a deal on it, so monitor really isn't an issue at this point. Dell has always been good to us on monitor returns.

Appreciate the advice, though! I'll keep Costco's new policy in mind, we have someone making a trip to the nearest city with one about once or twice a month so not a huge deal to get things to and from there.
 
My son is that age and love playing Wizards 101 mmo. As you can see, no issues whatsoever with the specs.

Operating System: Windows 98SE or later versions
Processor: 1GHz Intel Processor
RAM Space: 512 Megabytes
Video Card: Best results with GeForce 2 or equivalent
(standard in most PCs)
Disk Space: 5 Gigabytes



Here are the lego Universe MMO specs

PC Recommended Specifications
• Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit), with the latest Service Packs • Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or AMD Athlon XP 3200+ • 1 GB RAM (2 GB RAM with Windows Vista and Windows 7) • 10 GB free HD space • NVIDIA® GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X800 or better – 256 MB VRAM or more • DirectSound compatible sound card • DVD-ROM Drive • Broadband Internet connection required
 
Right ... not concerned about the specs of the game. We already have kind of an idea of what we want to build, I just wanted the guys around here that are killer at finding combos and amazing pricing to have one more look now that some of our old deals have expired...

EDIT: This is what I put together - if you can get me something similar cheaper, from Newegg, I'm open to suggestions:

$19.99 - LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$55.99 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$99.99 - GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$114.94 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Power Supply + Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$171.99 - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 + G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$186.98 - GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard + Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
------
$649.98
 
Last edited:
My 2 cents:


$145 - MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard + Win7

$100 - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

$35 - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283

$95 - Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

$100 - GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB

$75 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

or

$55 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB

$100 - Antec 300 case + Antec 520W psu

$20 - Optical - ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
 
Your build looks fine to me. The psu is a tad overkill: you could save 10 bucks with this combo (300 + neoeco 520). Also, for 5$ more you can get the samsung f3 1 terabyte (I know you don't need the space, but it's only 5 bucks).

If you were willing to deal w/ rebates (and I totally empathize with your dislike for them), you could get a 4870 for 105$. Probably not worth it IMO, but thought you should know.
 
Last edited:
Say, thanks cbliss. I might just do that power/case combo. I saw that hard drive deal, but we'd like to go all through Newegg unless there is just an outrageous deal. Still tempting though, might have to pick one up for myself haha.
 
Right ... not concerned about the specs of the game. We already have kind of an idea of what we want to build, I just wanted the guys around here that are killer at finding combos and amazing pricing to have one more look now that some of our old deals have expired...

EDIT: This is what I put together - if you can get me something similar cheaper, from Newegg, I'm open to suggestions:

$19.99 - LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
$55.99 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$99.99 - GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$114.94 - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Power Supply + Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$171.99 - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 + G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
$186.98 - GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard + Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
------
$649.98
Looks good. I'd definitely spend the extra $10 for the 620C + case. Significantly more headroom for future upgrades for only $10 more.
 
Back
Top