Leaks are trickling in but the Bionic A15 seems to be beating the Exynos 2200 for GPU performance

Honestly, I fail to see why this matters.

My email and web browsing on my phone will go the same speed either way :p

It's Apple's trajectory with their A and M series chips that is significant here and that some seem to be missing. Some of us may not care for Apple's devices or ecosystem - for me they've always felt a bit too straightjacketed of an experience - but the degree of the performance jump between iterations in their new chips is something that should to be observed because it has implications for all computing, when considering it 2-5 years forward.

There's already significant movement in professional applications and studios moving away from heavy desktop CPU's and toward Apple M1 and soon M2, and the degree to which this movement is picking up speed in terms of existing software being overhauled to accomodate M1 is kinda staggering. Again, take that and extrapolate 2-5 years forward and what's happening now is very significant.

Funny how Apple was at one point an annoying kid with chocolate on its face pulling at Bill Gates' pant leg. Now it's a planet with a gravitational field. You talk about a comeback.

Last edited:
If she can do it sarcastically I pay extra.
Lmao it chooses the perfect moments to say it automatically.
"Honey, we need to talk."
"Can you please step out of the car, sir?"
Basically anything in the news.

It's Apple's trajectory with their A and M series chips that is significant here and that some seem to be missing. Some of us may not care for Apple's devices or ecosystem - for me they've always felt a bit too straightjacketed of an experience - but the degree of the performance jump between iterations in their new chips is something that should to be observed because it has implications for all computing, when considering it 2-5 years forward.

There's already significant movement in professional applications and studios moving away from heavy desktop CPU's and toward Apple M1 and soon M2, and the degree to which this movement is picking up speed in terms of existing software being overhauled to accomodate M1 is kinda staggering. Again, take that and extrapolate 2-5 years forward and what's happening now is very significant.

Funny how Apple was at one point dogshit stuck underneath Bill Gates' shoe, now it's a planet with a gravitational field. You talk about a comeback.
Very very true.
It came at the perfect time. Able to use mass production to create TONS of their product that is seen as a status symbol due to its very aggressive market campaign, close off the ecosystem, like you said make for the best opportunity in long time since idk.

What I observe is that performance from ARM is stagnating, except for Apple. It used to be that Apple was behind and that Apple was like 2-3 Android generations behind, but now they're King. It's good to be the King.

Though I feel that's largely due to Apple and not the industry getting too comfortable in their market position. Samsung's Exynos chips weren't always top dog compared to others in the market, but they did have respectable performance. Some of the early models of Exynos SoC's use PowerVR, but then began to use more Mali graphics instead. Now nobody is using PowerVR because of Apple. Straight from the Wiki, "These GPUs are no longer called PowerVR, they are called IMG.[58] Imagination Technologies signed a new "multi-year, multi-lease agreement" with Apple for integration in future iOS devices on January 2, 2020". Who's GPU's are these again?

What I observe is that performance from ARM is stagnating, except for Apple. It used to be that Apple was behind and that Apple was like 2-3 Android generations behind, but now they're King. It's good to be the King.

Though I feel that's largely due to Apple and not the industry getting too comfortable in their market position. Samsung's Exynos chips weren't always top dog compared to others in the market, but they did have respectable performance. Some of the early models of Exynos SoC's use PowerVR, but then began to use more Mali graphics instead. Now nobody is using PowerVR because of Apple. Straight from the Wiki, "These GPUs are no longer called PowerVR, they are called IMG.[58] Imagination Technologies signed a new "multi-year, multi-lease agreement" with Apple for integration in future iOS devices on January 2, 2020". Who's GPU's are these again?

Well, if no one is using them but Apple, it looks like it's Apple's GPU.

We all benefit from Apple putting out a product that performs well, competition spurs innovation across the board. Apple set the standard for what an ARM CPU could be, and now everyone is scrambling to match that over the next year or so.

As for how much of the GPU is Apple internal versus PowerVR, I suspect they are just using Imagination for patent licensing at this point and the vast majority of the design is theirs alone. Much like with their ARM cores.

The peaks are very high but not the sustained. It barely outperforms the xiaomi mi 11 ultra, but the peaks are insane. If Apple could put a cooler on this then I'm sure there's performance potential.
Yeah but also its battery usage is tiny, the thing sips juice. Apple for whatever reason has the chip facing inward towards the LCD, if they flipped it over and had it instead in contact with the case it would get more performance but the case would get pretty toasty. But that would be negated the second it was put in a case anyways.

Last edited:
Yeah but also its battery usage is tiny, the thing sips juice.
I missed the test where they show the power consumption. Where is that test?
Apple for whatever reason has the chip facing inward towards the LCD, if they flipped it over and had it instead in contact with the case it would get more performance but the case would get pretty toasty. But that would be negated the second it was put in a case anyways.
I would be in favor of heating the housing since in the winter that would keep my hands warm. Would suck for the summer. Putting it in a case sucks but you'd think that Apple would design a phone that doesn't need a case. My Moto X4 is a nightmare because the glass body is extremely slippery, to the point where it slips off anything. Without a rubber case, the phone couldn't even be put in my pocket without losing it. I think phone manufacturers need to stop making their devices thinner and worry about usability instead. What's the point of a thinner slimmer phone when I know the moment we drop it we're going to spend a lot of money repairing it. Especially when it comes to cooling it since that's going to obviously be a problem for phone manufacturers going forward.

I missed the test where they show the power consumption. Where is that test?

I would be in favor of heating the housing since in the winter that would keep my hands warm. Would suck for the summer. Putting it in a case sucks but you'd think that Apple would design a phone that doesn't need a case. My Moto X4 is a nightmare because the glass body is extremely slippery, to the point where it slips off anything. Without a rubber case, the phone couldn't even be put in my pocket without losing it. I think phone manufacturers need to stop making their devices thinner and worry about usability instead. What's the point of a thinner slimmer phone when I know the moment we drop it we're going to spend a lot of money repairing it. Especially when it comes to cooling it since that's going to obviously be a problem for phone manufacturers going forward.
In a few charts, they have Performance and Power both listed

MH3.1_575px.png

SPEC2017_little_575px.png

SPECint-energy_575px.png

I get where you are coming from about the need for cases and if they were made tougher but at some point, you have to make some decisions up to the users, otherwise, every laptop should be based on a Toughbook, and every phone should look like it was inside an Otterbox defender.
Build it baseline and let users add the protection they feel they need. I mean there are some "gaming" phones out there that you need a holder for because while gaming they get too hot to hold, and those are pulling about 8.5w sustained, and from what I see here the A15 beats them out while using about 3.5w.

Last edited:
Back