Leaked details of AMD Zen...

My thoughts are that I want to see this thing rock but I'll actually give a more meaningful amount of fucks when it's actually rocking.

I believe there is already a thread based off the original fudzilla article that the guys in this article are basing all their claims on. Supposedly leaked images from a site I barely trust are not going to inspire any confidence in me. At this point, nothing less than actual results will pull me back to AMD on the CPU side.

AMD should probably be more open with details about upcoming products. Look at how Intel and nvidia talk about their stuff for a long time before making official announcements.

AMD should probably be more open with details about upcoming products. Look at how Intel and nvidia talk about their stuff for a long time before making official announcements.

I like this secretive AMD. They talked about their products a long time before they came out just a few years ago (pre-Bulldozer launch) and it worked out terribly for them because their marketing department was trash. At least now there's an element of surprise when some of their stuff launches, or when a big event comes up (like Computex.)

AMD may have lost their performance crown years ago, but their APUs still have a good many uses.

Definitely. Every time AMD puts out a new APU, I keep checking to see if a decent notebook pops up. I would love if an A10 apu shows up in a 13.3" form factor with a decent 1080p IPS display, like the Dell XPS13 or Asus UX303, but it never happens.
AMD APUs make some amazing small form factor HTPCs as well. I just don't have much use for one at the moment.

im looking forward to the release and keeping optimistic about the performance

Definitely. Every time AMD puts out a new APU, I keep checking to see if a decent notebook pops up. I would love if an A10 apu shows up in a 13.3" form factor with a decent 1080p IPS display, like the Dell XPS13 or Asus UX303, but it never happens.
AMD APUs make some amazing small form factor HTPCs as well. I just don't have much use for one at the moment.

You can thank Intel for this, since they love to bribe OEMs through their contra revenue program..:mad:

You can thank Intel for this, since they love to bribe OEMs through their contra revenue program..:mad:

I spent months waiting for a Trinity notebook and nothing I wanted was released. I then waited for a Kaveri notebook and nothing of value was released. It doesn't surprise me to read that there is over $100m in unsold amd product in the pipeline because there are no quality systems being sold with amd chips. Notebook vendors charging over a grand for systems with terrible 1366x768 TN panels and other substandard components.

I don't think it's all Intel's fault.

Look at it from Toshiba/Dell/Acer/Asus's angle, they know how many AMD based machines they sell compared to Intel. I bet they don't even need to sell AMD kit anymore. I bet they lose money making and selling AMD based kit.

Now you go ask 1000 folks in the street who Intel are and who AMD are.

I bet you 998 will know Intel and what they make. Maybe 45 will know AMD.

When I get a customer in with a AMD based laptop I ask them what made them buy an AMD laptop.

The same reason comes up every time. "I dunno about AMD, it was the cheapest one PC World had that's all! Wasn't spending much for the kids to use!"

AMD just doesn't do marketing/brand awareness and they suck at pushing their products to market.

It's all in the marketing, doesn't matter how good the actual end product is or even it's price. You just have to make people want it enough.

Having some 'great paper designs' coming up in a year or two isn't really good enough. You're only as good as the stuff you have on the shelves. That hasn't been great for AMD for several years now.

Last edited:
I don't think it's all Intel's fault.
AMD just doesn't do marketing/brand awareness and they suck at pushing their products to market.

And yet Consoles sell regardless of brand recognition. Qualcomm uses AMD technology as well and that never held them back.

Marketing branding it is all a whitewash for convincing people to not buy product X or product Y while in reality more then 80% of the computer users prolly don't have a clue to begin with. Consumers buy on very different impulses.

And yet Consoles sell regardless of brand recognition. Qualcomm uses AMD technology as well and that never held them back.

Marketing branding it is all a whitewash for convincing people to not buy product X or product Y while in reality more then 80% of the computer users prolly don't have a clue to begin with. Consumers buy on very different impulses.

I guess the multi-billion consumer market would argue different.

I know your AMD marketing strategy is carry on doing nothing, which has done them a power of good the past ten years.

I think you must work for Intel.

And consoles will sell no matter what crappy chips are in them because they are massively marketed under the massive Xbox/PS/Wii brands. People are convinced they need to buy them so they sell.

A good brand sells. AMD isn't a 'good' brand.

I know plenty of people who constantly tell their friends "don't buy AMD." Just recently, someone suggested a friend buy a notebook with an atom chip over one with an a6 APU just because it said AMD. I had to intervene before someone purchased a tablet in a laptop shell. The stigma from the 80s-90s still stem to this day. I try to teach, but often the breath just gets wasted.

Well AMD is fine in laptops as long as you stay away from the E1 crap. They are pathetic to put it mildly.

However, to find a decent AMD Ax based laptop is a tall order. One with a decent HD IPS screen, 8GB or ram and a SSD. HP make one I think and also Lenovo...that's it. Plus not cheap.

There just isn't the broad spread of choices you'd get with Intel. Especially if you want a gaming laptop or one for serious mobile workstation type use.

To be honest I'd tell people to avoid AMD just for the poor selection. Stick with a i3 and above and you'll be fine for day to day use.

I gave up on them. Ive been wanting an affordable A10 amd laptop with a quality screen for less then i could get an intel I7 and it pretty hasnt happened since the A8-3850 (which was an excellent laptop at $400 DV7 overclocked to 2.4ghz)

I gave up on them. Ive been wanting an affordable A10 amd laptop with a quality screen for less then i could get an intel I7 and it pretty hasnt happened since the A8-3850 (which was an excellent laptop at $400 DV7 overclocked to 2.4ghz)

There's some sort of conspiracy that doesn't allow amd laptops to come with decent screens or something. My Lenovo apu laptop has the worst screen you've ever seen, but I am otherwise happy with the performance with an aftermarket ssd, it's been a solid laptop, which stops me from buying a new one just yet.

I guess the multi-billion consumer market would argue different.

I know your AMD marketing strategy is carry on doing nothing, which has done them a power of good the past ten years.

I think you must work for Intel.

And consoles will sell no matter what crappy chips are in them because they are massively marketed under the massive Xbox/PS/Wii brands. People are convinced they need to buy them so they sell.

A good brand sells. AMD isn't a 'good' brand.

You are so far out there that it is not funny. Only in recent years AMD done consoles , 10 years ago this was not the case except for maybe the GameCube.

AMD does not sell whole computers another thing you and many others miss that point completely.
AMD plays well in certain markets at this point ,the technology they developed sells.

And you counter that by saying that AMD is not a good brand and accuse me of working for Intel.

Last edited:

Yeah its a shame but too late to worry about it now.

Zen slides hit the internet today.
http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin...95W-TDP-DDR4?p=5004014&viewfull=1#post5004014

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-core-block/

htyKYpb.jpg

Unsurprisingly, AMD's giving up the dual-integer single-fp modules they've been implementing since the bulldozer release. I wonder if they'll continue to advertise "compute cores" that include the gpu.

Good good now release a zen on the fm2+ platform that works in my a88x board i know carrizo is going to be the last one that might work in fm2+ am4 and fm3 will be zen with ddr 4

Good good now release a zen on the fm2+ platform that works in my a88x board i know carrizo is going to be the last one that might work in fm2+ am4 and fm3 will be zen with ddr 4

What is known about Carrizo http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-discloses-architecture-2015feb23.aspx

New Carrizo Disclosures at ISSCC:
29% more transistors in nearly the same die size as its predecessor, “Kaveri”;
New “Excavator” x86 cores provide an uplift in instructions-per-clock at 40% less power;
New Radeon GPU cores with dedicated power supply;
Dedicated, on-chip H.265 video decode;
Double digit percentage increases in both performance and battery life;
Integrated Southbridge for the first time on an AMD high-performance APU.

Details will be presented today at the AMD ISSCC session, “A 28nm x86 APU Optimized for Power and Area Efficiency,” by AMD Fellow and Design Engineer Kathy Wilcox. The presentation covers the technology, implementation, and power management features of the Carrizo APU.

That is not really a FM2+ part....

Slide of Zen maybe nice but still want to know what platform and which form it will come out.

The carrizo was said that it might have a fm2+ part but that was going to be it for fm2+.

What I have seen is Carrizo can't hit above 45w, kaveri is better there and up. So not likely we will see Carrizo as a desktop.

What I have seen is Carrizo can't hit above 45w, kaveri is better there and up. So not likely we will see Carrizo as a desktop.

It's not that Carrizo can't hit 45W, it's that it's not designed to target those TDP ranges. This version of Carrizo is one that was redesigned a few years back and refocused on low-power mobile rather than being fine-tuned for desktop.

Carrizo will appear on desktops, but only in BGA form, so pre-built machines only. It will then appear on FM3 under the "Bristol Ridge" name, serving as the mainstream APU whilst Summit Ridge (x86 Zen) will be the performance APU/CPU offering on FM3. There will be a Raven Ridge in 2017, although I don't have any concrete details on what it is at this point (maybe a CPU-only version of Zen, or a K12 part...)

You are so far out there that it is not funny. Only in recent years AMD done consoles , 10 years ago this was not the case except for maybe the GameCube.

AMD does not sell whole computers another thing you and many others miss that point completely.
AMD plays well in certain markets at this point ,the technology they developed sells.

And you counter that by saying that AMD is not a good brand and accuse me of working for Intel.

You might be thinking of ATi, not AMD (and even ATi only did so through ArtX).

' One leak detailed a HPC aimed
APU that features 16 Zen cores with 32 MB of L3
cache attached to a very large GPU.'
the devillss 32 mb!!! remember the palit tnt2
days??. has any gpu eber had a 32 mb
buffer...what if...Lol...when i
could..16...whatever...

AMD Zen Diagram Leaked and Analysis
source: www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-
Zen-Diagram-Leaked-and-Analysis

' One leak detailed a HPC aimed
APU that features 16 Zen cores with 32 MB of L3
cache attached to a very large GPU.'
the devillss 32 mb!!! remember the palit tnt2
days??. has any gpu eber had a 32 mb
buffer...what if...Lol...when i
could..16...whatever...

AMD Zen Diagram Leaked and Analysis
source: www.pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-
Zen-Diagram-Leaked-and-Analysis

Yeah that is somewhat presumptuous of them _lucky_ they didn't claim science this time :) .

Essentially, this looks like a simplified way of expressing to analysts that AMD is attempting to retain their per core integer performance while boosting floating point/AVX at a similar level. Other than that, there is very little that can be gleaned from this simple block diagram.

Dear god they made an article about this block diagram and then down play it at the same time.

It is followed by
Still, the company needs to release new, competitive products that will refill the company coffers. The previous quarter’s loss has dug into cash reserves, but AMD is still stable in terms of cash on hand and long term debt. 2015 will see new GPUs, an APU refresh, and the release of the new Carrizo parts. 2016 looks to be the make or break year with Zen and K12.

In American terms : DUH.
Captain obvious missed something tho where is AMD going with ARM exactly didn't publicly announce that half their business would be ARM in the coming years....
But if you already decided to take the clickbait then check out bottom right source :) yep :)

In other words PCperspective is a waste of time .......

Well looking hopefulI got my wish for a 1:1 FPU to Core ratio. Good to see old tried and trusted designs making a comeback.

Just not looking forward to the release day reviews when it still comes up 20% short.

Well looking hopefulI got my wish for a 1:1 FPU to Core ratio. Good to see old tried and trusted designs making a comeback.

Just not looking forward to the release day reviews when it still comes up 20% short.

Then just donate a couple of billion dollars to AMD :) I'm sure they can use the funding for their R&D. :)

i donno zen is going to be hyperthreaded so we might actually see some equal footing style bouts here... i would just like carrizo a10-8800p to show itself i want a laptop with that chip.

Last edited:
Hmm, unified FM3 platform for performance/mainstream.

That looks like a smart move as long as it scales appropriately to the high-end, and doesn't cost too much at the low end.

Back