• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCDs fine for gaming?

mash

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 16, 2005
Messages
278
I might be wrong, but I thought I heard somewhere that LCD monitors aren't as good for gaming as CRTs. Is this true? I'm posting this because microcenter has a 17" acer LCD for $160, and if LCDs are good for gaming I'm going to get one. Please let me know, I'm out of the whole monitor scene ;).
 
Nope, they aren't as good. Even the new 8 ms samsung was just confirmed by a friend of mine, throw a nade in CS : S and you get streaking. Everyone that says LCDs are good for gaming just don't take gaming seriously or play enough to notice.
 
I'm definitely not a "serious" gamer, I'm just building a new PC with nice gaming capabilities for when I want to play FPS with friends, etc. But for everything else, is it considered better, or do you just pay for their small size?
 
mash said:
I'm definitely not a "serious" gamer, I'm just building a new PC with nice gaming capabilities for when I want to play FPS with friends, etc. But for everything else, is it considered better, or do you just pay for their small size?
If you aren't a very serious gamer, a nice quality LCD will probably be good enough for you.
Some people consider text/browsing to be better, due to the sharpness DVI provides. In my experience, the text was better most of the time, but occasionally looked worse. Also, it's easy on the eyes vs. a CRT at low refresh rate (but it's not hard to get one at a comfortable refresh rate). Other than that, you pay a lot for size. I was unsatisfied with a nice LCD for gaming, but I think I'm a bit picky.
 
Svperstar said:
Everyone that says LCDs are good for gaming just don't take gaming seriously or play enough to notice.

You obviously havent read much of the displays forum. :rolleyes:
 
paintb4707 said:
You obviously havent read much of the displays forum. :rolleyes:

Nope going by personal experience. Now I admit I haven't seen every single LCD on the planet, but I have seen quite a few ranging from $150-$800 or so. People always say that their "brand new" LCD "is fine for gaming. People said this with 25 ms, then 16 ms, now 8 ms. All of them have streaking and ghosting. All of them, no exception I have ever seen.

I have sat down to play on a friends LCD and see how bad it is and they only notice streaking when I point it out to them then they say "Ohhh yeah"

This is why serious pro gamers will not touch them. They aren't as good and probably won't be for years.
 
Svperstar said:
Nope going by personal experience. Now I admit I haven't seen every single LCD on the planet, but I have seen quite a few ranging from $150-$800 or so. People always say that their "brand new" LCD "is fine for gaming. People said this with 25 ms, then 16 ms, now 8 ms. All of them have streaking and ghosting. All of them, no exception I have ever seen.

I have sat down to play on a friends LCD and see how bad it is any they only notice streaking when I point it out to them then they say "Ohhh yeah"

This is why serious pro gamers will not touch them. They aren't as good and probably won't be for years.
^This guy advised me against the LCD, wish I'd taken his advice so I hadn't had to go to the trouble of buy/sell. But at least I got to see for myself :p I'm staying CRT until SED is out.
 
Indolentron said:
^This guy advised me against the LCD, wish I'd taken his advice so I hadn't had to go to the trouble of buy/sell. But at least I got to see for myself :p I'm staying CRT until SED is out.

LOL SCMB :)
 
I have a 19" flatscreen crt with a trinitron tube that does not work. What do i do with it? It was a few months out of warranty when it stopped working. If it was an lcd display i guarantee i'd still be looking at it. This is why i bought an lcd screen. Samsung 970p replacing my beloved trinitron crt. Crt's are terribly unreliable. lcd is good if you want it to work for ten years :p
 
RegisteredToPost said:
I have a 19" flatscreen crt with a trinitron tube that does not work. What do i do with it? It was a few months out of warranty when it stopped working. If it was an lcd display i guarantee i'd still be looking at it. This is why i bought an lcd screen. Samsung 970p replacing my beloved trinitron crt. Crt's are terribly unreliable. lcd is good if you want it to work for ten years :p
Why keep an inferior product for 10 years past now, when SEDs will be out in less than two?
 
you think any product that isn't absolutely state of the art is inferior? lol :D

but to answer your question, maybe i'll be happy with it? you asked a cheesy question. chester, is that you baby?
 
RegisteredToPost said:
you think any product that isn't absolutely state of the art is inferior? lol :D
It's inferior to CRTs for gaming right now, and in a couple years it will be inferior to both new display technologies and more advanced LCDs. I'm not saying current LCDs are complete crap, I'm just saying longevity isn't much of an advantage in this case.

Plus, it's not like CRTs are just dying left and right.
 
Well i've concluded that the best way to determine wether or not lcd's are 'for gaming' is to just try it for yourself. It's alot better than making an expensive decision based entirely on hear-say, eh? :D

I made a learning experience, purchase. I'm pretty sure i'll be good to go once i get it. Playing fps on crts i notice some variation of choppyness when you look side to side. The lcd will 'smooth' out that motion lol i'll let you guys know how it is. Then again it's all hear-say. I could be making it all up ;)
 
RegisteredToPost said:
Well i've concluded that the best way to determine wether or not lcd's are 'for gaming' is to just try it for yourself. It's alot better than making an expensive decision based entirely on hear-say, eh? :D

I made a learning experience, purchase. I'm pretty sure i'll be good to go once i get it. Playing fps on crts i notice some variation of choppyness when you look side to side. The lcd will 'smooth' out that motion lol i'll let you guys know how it is. Then again it's all hear-say. I could be making it all up ;)
I read review after review after review on Newegg praising the Samsung 940B. I also read a review on here that said it was great. I made the expensive decision and ordered one, and tried it for *a week* before selling it and ordering an FW900 (24" Trinitron). I haven't gotten the FW900 yet, but gaming is better on my crappy old 17" HP Pavilion mx70 monitor than it was on the LCD. The still pictures were great, but dark areas and blurriness really got to me. And that was before I had the chance to experience any resolution related hassles.

The hear-say was in favor of the LCD, and my own experience convinced me that CRTs are still better.
 
RegisteredToPost said:
You're not bothered by the variable dot pitch on that 130lb FW900? :p
Like I said, I don't have it yet, but even its highest dot pitch is lower than the dot pitch on the LCD I had, which could have been better but wasn't really an issue. People in the FW900 seem to be entirely pleased with the monitor; and yes, people said they were pleased with the LCD too, but somehow I think that a gradual .04mm change of distance between the pixels at the center center and the pixels at the extremities will be a bit tougher to spot than blurring...

P.S. The FW900 is 93lbs and I will only have to lift it a few times in my life :-P
 
It is all entirely subjective. I am going to stay with CRTs for a few more years myself. I do notice the streaking and hate the dead/stuck pixel issues with LCDs. But not everybody is bothered and/or just can't see it. That's why its best to go somewhere to try it out, whether it's a store or a friends house, before making a decision.
 
I actually don't mind mine for gaming (notice I didn’t say love). However, it is definitely not the perfect solution. While I enjoy the looks of the LCD over a deep CRT, I can tell you that I miss one thing, pure blacks! It's amazing how much you can miss something when you don't have it anymore :D.

I've owned my LCD for just over six months now, and the washed out blacks are just starting to get to me. In all reality, it's not fair to say it's washed out; rather it's more a limitation of the hardware. Obviously most people know that black will never truly be black on an LCD because of the backlight. Until those little pixels can be turned off completely (as on a CRT) I would suggest you don't invest a significant amount of money into an LCD. Now, when I say significant, I'm talking about >$700. I just don't think the price is justifiable when compared to the true color representation of a CRT.

I'm glad I have one for everyday computing, and for gaming it is certainly tolerable, but don’t buy one just to say you own an LCD.

One thing’s for sure, I can't wait for the new technology!
 
Yea well i work for a moving company, the last thing i want to do when i come home is have to move a dynamonsterously heavy display device ;). I know you're not going to lift it daily but my poor desk!

I'll see if lcd displays suit my needs.
 
Indolentron said:
Like I said, I don't have it yet, but even its highest dot pitch is lower than the dot pitch on the LCD I had, which could have been better but wasn't really an issue. People in the FW900 seem to be entirely pleased with the monitor; and yes, people said they were pleased with the LCD too, but somehow I think that a gradual .04mm change of distance between the pixels at the center center and the pixels at the extremities will be a bit tougher to spot than blurring...

P.S. The FW900 is 93lbs and I will only have to lift it a few times in my life :-P

The FW900 is the best CRT I've owned, Despite the dot pitch variance text clarity is very good on mine @ 1920x1200 ,Even on the sides & corners.

I took this pic but my camera picked up Morie patterns you wouldn't see in person plus I used a flash so its sort of washed out, monitor was set at 1920x1200 but as you can see text isn't all that bad especially considering the resolution (1920x1200 is the manufacture recommended setting for the FW900)

FW900_text_corners.jpg


I have absolutely no regrets getting rid of my 2001FP LCD for this, Don't get me wrong LCD has a very vibrant and crisp picture but as a gamer the motion blur / fixed resolution and poor black levels were enough reasons for me to go back to CRT.
 
mathesar said:
The FW900 is the best CRT I've owned, Despite the dot pitch variance text clarity is very good on mine @ 1920x1200 ,Even on the sides & corners.

I took this pic but my camera picked up Morie patterns you wouldn't see in person plus I used a flash so its sort of washed out, monitor was set at 1920x1200 but as you can see text isn't all that bad especially considering the resolution (1920x1200 is the manufacture recommended setting for the FW900)

FW900_text_corners.jpg


I have absolutely no regrets getting rid of my 2001FP LCD for this, Don't get me wrong LCD has a very vibrant and crisp picture but as a gamer the motion blur / fixed resolution and poor black levels were enough reasons for me to go back to CRT.


+1, i have recently gone back to CRT for the exact same reason, i find LCD's fantastic for surfing the web and doing text realted stuff but for games and movies to me they just don't come anywhere near cutting the mustard.

Bring on the SED's :)
 
I spend about 70% of my time on a computer playing some form of game, and the LCD I got a few months ago, the VP191B, has no ghosting problems whatsoever for me in CS 1.6, CS:S, BF2, WoW, and Civ4. So please don't tell me I'm not a serious gamer or wouldn't notice. :)
 
Svperstar said:
Nope, they aren't as good. Even the new 8 ms samsung was just confirmed by a friend of mine, throw a nade in CS : S and you get streaking. Everyone that says LCDs are good for gaming just don't take gaming seriously or play enough to notice.

Samsungs 8ms monitors are roughly equivalent to other manufacturers 16ms montiors. Their marketing department is evil, so they decided not to measure the same thing... :(


For a good discussion on this topic, see this thread
 
I have a Dell 1800FP and I just bought the 19" Acer LCD from Microcenter on Black Friday. Both are perfectly fine for gaming. I am one person who's eyes are sensitive to a CRT. I'll never go back to a CRT again.

I don't completely buy the argument of lower response times dictating how well they work in games. My 1800 FP is rated at 30ms and the Acer is rated at 12ms, and the both look crystal clear in CoD2 at 1280x1024. It's been a well documented fact that certain LCDs are just fine for gaming. Add all the other benefits, and there's no reason to be using CRTs anymore.
 
djnes said:
I don't completely buy the argument of lower response times dictating how well they work in games. My 1800 FP is rated at 30ms and the Acer is rated at 12ms, and the both look crystal clear in CoD2 at 1280x1024. It's been a well documented fact that certain LCDs are just fine for gaming. Add all the other benefits, and there's no reason to be using CRTs anymore.

Well that depends on your view... In my opinion if you have a good CRT, both the visual quality and the response time is far superior to even the best of the current generation LCD's...

My biggest annoyances with LCD's are as follows:
- On LCD's, black usually isn't back. It's usually some kind of shiny dark grey.
- Viewing angles mess up the colors
- Interpolation of pixels messes up the picture if running at non-native resolutions
- Low white to black refresh causes ghosting (on older, or really cheap models)
- Input delay is roughly 40ms longer than a CRT on even the best LCD units (again, see this thread). (also, compare this to your ping... :rolleyes: )

As far as your sensitivity to CRTs, you are running them at high enough refresh rates right? Personally, I find anything below 85hz on a crt unbearable.

All that being said, I am going to transition to an LCD fairly soon, as I never play games anymore, and the LCD's are just that more convenient...
 
I didn't notice the lack of black until it was mentioned here. ><

Oh well, desk space is a premium so it's ok.

You basically have to weigh the pros and cons, for me, desk space was more important than having the corridors in Doom 3 be perfectly black. That, and my wife didn't want a CRT.
 
Svperstar said:
Nope, they aren't as good. Even the new 8 ms samsung was just confirmed by a friend of mine, throw a nade in CS : S and you get streaking. Everyone that says LCDs are good for gaming just don't take gaming seriously or play enough to notice.

Go away troll.
 
Zarathustra[H] said:
My biggest annoyances with LCD's are as follows:
- On LCD's, black usually isn't back. It's usually some kind of shiny dark grey.
- Viewing angles mess up the colors
- Interpolation of pixels messes up the picture if running at non-native resolutions
- Low white to black refresh causes ghosting (on older, or really cheap models)
- Input delay is roughly 40ms longer than a CRT on even the best LCD units (again, see this thread).
All very true. LCDs are "just fine" for gaming only if you're not terribly discriminating. If you always run at native resolution, you don't care about blacks being gray, and you don't mind the limited viewing angle or the minor ghosting-- then LCDs fit the bill. Otherwise, get a CRT.

Personally, I have an LCD in my office..along with 2 21" CRTSs. Both have their advantages...but in gaming or video, CRT is king of the roost.
 
I think it depends on the game. NFSU, COD2 and BF2 didn't blur as much as Warhammer: Dawn of War, CC Generals and UT2k4. I had a vp930. After a while you get used to the blurring and you don't see it as much but if you have a crt right next to the lcd you notice it really fast.
 
Valaire said:
I spend about 70% of my time on a computer playing some form of game, and the LCD I got a few months ago, the VP191B, has no ghosting problems whatsoever for me in CS 1.6, CS:S, BF2, WoW, and Civ4. So please don't tell me I'm not a serious gamer or wouldn't notice. :)


I have this monitor as well and absolutely love it.
 
I would never consider a LCD for the purpose of gaming. I had to buy a Samsung 930B so I could use my PC in a dorm but compared to a Diamondtron tube CRT the quality is just laughable in comparison. Especially in gaming.

I'm buying a new monitor and didn't even consider an LCD, I just took a look at a few displays and deemed them not even worth it for the purpose of gaming. I ended up getting an IBM c220p(400 bucks brand new, normally 650 but my dad is an employee) which should be here by the end of the week. I would've got a FW900, if they weren't 1.8k brand new.
 
i think CRTs perform much better and go for much cheaper, but dont act like your LCD is getting you owned in CS :rolleyes: - im gaming on an ultrasharp and it's very nice, no complaints - if you stop searching for ghosting and streaking you stop noticing
 
I haven't noticed any ghosting or streaking problems on my Acer LCD in CS1.6 or any other game. It works great, and the space saved is awesome. As the the "faded blacks", this displays black fairly well. The dead pixel thing is annoying though, but I only have one and it's not always noticable.
 
2005fpw here.

no ghosting. no viewing angle problems. text is crisper than any CRT i've used. Colors are more vibrant than any CRT i've used. Black looks black to me.

I can't complain. And I've used a LOT of CRT's in my day.
 
1. LCD's are much better on your eyes for long term gaming!!!
2. I have played WOW, COD 2, AOEIII, and many other games and the difference between my 19inch Viewsonic professional series and the twin lcd's below is marginal
3. Space saving!
4. Lighter
5. More energy efficient

Now exactly why are you questioning getting one?

Also don't get a cheapy one! one with 12ms or 8ms is best and spring ofr a big one!
 
Back
Top