Votes: 18 8.0%
  • LCD has backlight bleeding problems + Bad pixels

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • LCD has other issues, Other Then Backlight/Pixel Probs. =(

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
Just Curious Pick a Poll Accordingly.. This is for your first LCD.. you purchased Doesnt count on exchanges and such.. :)

New Dell/2405FPW/7-6-05
1 Bad pixel.. :eek:

2005FPW, no backlighting issues. 1 dead pixel near top right, took me 3 weeks to find it, and I can't even notice it. It's black and just blends in with everything.

never had dead pixel issue.

2x ibm laptop in 1998
HP Laptop in summer 2000
NEC 17 nx in summer 2003
Powerbook in summer 2004
samsung 17' lcd 3 mo ago
dell 2405 last week ( i thought there's a red one, but it's gone on the second day. i guess it's just dust...)

Never really had any issues.

2 X Dell 2001FP
20.1" Sony LCD
Dell 600m Laptop
3 X Nec 15" LCDs

I'd give more model numbers, but I am too lazy to run around and get them all.

dell2005fpw revA02. NO dead pixels. The backlight is my only concer, and i dont think i'd even know about the issue if i never visited the forums.

730b, i know the cheapest of cheap, and it has one dead pixel in the bottom right corner

IBM T85D in 2001.

No dead pixels. (And I'm using it right now, still.)

Wow its good to see the majority are getting perfect LCD's This should be helpful for those users thinking of switching to LCD's without the fears of LCD probs.. :)

My first LCD: Fuji FP-988D 19"

I had no dead pixels at all. The picture quality is absolutely amazing. Perhaps the only "issue" I notice with it is very minor backlight bleeding around the lower left corner and just over the two built-in speakers. Other than that...it's perfect. I'd purchase another!

Dell 2005FPW, no dead pixels, after 2 replacements very slight backlight issue on 2 bottom corners

Samsung 172x. Perfect model, no dead pixels, and no backlight bleeding as far as I've seen over the past year.

2005FPW for $422 shipped

I had no dead pixels and no backlighting issues. Best computer purchase I ever made!

2x Dell 2000FP (3 dead pixels each - red, green, or blue) One died - under warranty though so got the below as a replacement.
1x Dell 2001FP (Perfect)
1x Dell 2405FP (Perfect)

Even with my 2000FP's the dead pixels weren't noticable unless you were an inch away, so I didn't care much.

If you think about it, the manufacturing ideal (ISO 9000) for defects is 6 sigma which allows 3.4 defects per million . To take the Dell 2405 as an example: There are 1900 x 1200 x 3 (red, blue, green) pixels which gives 6,840,000 pixels. This translates to 23 permissable defects. Now true, not even I would accept a panel with that many defects, and Dell does have a 100% customer satifaction policy, but it's just a little something for perspective. Perfect panels are still sparse, rather than the norm....(but you hear from the one guy got a perfect panel...and now everyone wants one :D )

No dead Pixels. Samsung SyncMaster 570V TFT 15". I believe late 2000 or early 2001.

god I hope I am lucky as you guys L90D+ is in the fedex truck coming towards my house so I will tell when it gets here. :p

2001FP manufacture date June 2005, No dead pixels or backlight issues but still sent it back for a refund after 3 weeks of side by side comparisons to my CRT, It just didnt cut it as a Gaming monitor. (but looked great otherwise)

Im back to using my 21" Sony G520P CRT.

my 17" advue 16ms LCD was/still is perfect. bought it last september and have never had any problems

the screen on my gateway 4026gz is also perfect

i guess i have just been lucky :)

NEC 1860NX, purchased March, 2002 for $695. One dead pixel near the center of the screen.

dell 2405 , backlight issues, i think they all have backlight issues , im really picky other people probably wont notice it or care.

Samsung 915n -- sold because of analog only input- zero dead pixels- bad backlighting at top of screen

Samsung 930B- using now-- zero dead pixels--no backlighting problem :D

perfect for my first ever LCD, the Viewsonic VP191b.

Fortunately for me, most of our local shops offer zero bright/dead pixel guarantee for viewsonic in the first 7 days. and they allow us to check the panel on the spot. :cool: but its a little pricier than US though, ~US$445. was considering the Dell 1905FP for ~US$380, it was cheaper and has a USB2.0 hub but no ZBP guarantee--7 BP/DP return policy :rolleyes:

Dell FP2000 - 1 stuck green pixel (I don't notice it)

Purchased more than 2 years ago, not exactly sure when.

All LCD's that I've had were perfect. No dead pixels and no backlight issues. However, none of them were Dell LCDs so maybe that explains it :D

Yeow! I knew LCDs had backlighting and pixel problems but not to this degree. So, 50/50 chance you'll get a defect. Nice.

No problems whatsoever. Samsung 193P+.
As it's my first LCD I made sure to buy at a local store where I could just walk in & exchange/return it if I needed to.

Samsung SyncMaster 175v purchased at Best Buy during their Black Friday sale in 2003.
No problems at all.

17" Sony X-Black, perfect
15.4" Widescreen, Acer Laptop 4001WLMI, 1 hot pixel that'll be there for 1 day, be gone for a couple weeks, then return for a day, be gone for weeks, etc. No problem there, a little rubbing makes it go away.
19" Samsung SyncMaster 913n, perfect

2000FP - 2 stuck red pixels brand new out of the box
2001FP - 2 stuck pixels, one red one green, brand new out of the box
2001FP - (FRIEND'S DISPLAY) 2 stuck pixels, red, brand new out of the box
2005FPW - 1 stuck pixel, red, brand new out of the box
2405FPW - 2 stuck pixels, both green, right brand new out of the box

Those of you with perfect displays - I don't believe it. How can you explain my experience then, rationally?

Riptide_NVN said:

Those of you with perfect displays - I don't believe it. How can you explain my experience then, rationally?

Well, My 2405FPW was almost perfect.. just 1 stuck pixel My replacement will be here later today hopefully it will be a perfect one.. (but I may be in the same boat as you my friend, we may just have bad luck. Im pretty sure my next one is gonna have a bad pixel, just cuz i worry/ think to much about it)... :eek:

Riptide_NVN said:

Since I install all the new computers where I work, I tend to see a lot of LCDs. I have installed over 400 machines, all either Dell or Gateway. Out of those 400, maybe 10% had pixel problems, the others were all perfect or perfect enough that I didn't see anything during the entire install and upgrade process. Even though the LCDs with the bad pixels were randomly dispersed through out the entire campus wide upgrade (a couple of years), a good 90% of the LCDs with bad pixels ended up in the English department. And it wasn't like the department upgraded all at once, it just happened that way.

You sir are the English department. :eek:

But that doesn't seem to be a rational explanation. You're basically saying because of bad luck they got one display right after another like that? No offense but I am finding that whole situation very difficult to accept.

BTW I install Dell's where I work. We've ordered many different models (E151FP, 1503FP, E171FP, E173FP) and dead pixels (at least one anyway) are common. At least 50%. Some of these defects are not readily visible and that experience has born over with my own displays. When I first got my 2405FPW I didn't notice those two problem pixels until two-three weeks into using it. I just happened to have my face real close to the display one day and noticed the tiny little green dots on the bottom which only showed up on a dark background. On light backgrounds they are fine.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I had two 2405FPW's - both of them had dead pixels. The first one had a gray pixel that showed up on white in the upper left quadrant but near enough to the center it bugged me. The exchange had two problem pixels but in the extreme bottom quadrant which I can live with - and hence didn't do yet another exchange.

Samsung 710N December 04

Perfect as far as I can see I haven't done any exhaustive testing though.

Back