Lawmaker Calls on ISPs to Protect Customers from Viruses

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some players in the Australian government would like ISPs to take a more active role in defending its customers from cyber security threats. This move would mirror the government’s own move toward blocking or diverting malicious traffic and other web threats from the inside. Is ISPs offering a sort of firewall service even necessary, seeing that customers already have plenty of ways to protect themselves? What I would be afraid of is harmless content and sites mistakenly being blocked off.

Should your ISP play a greater role in keeping you safe from malware, viruses and other web threats? One of Australia’s senior politicians seems to think so. In a column in The West Australian, Dan Tehan, Australia’s cybersecurity minister, wrote: “Just as we trust banks to hold our money, just as we trust doctors with our health, in a digital age we need to be able to trust telecommunications companies to protect our information from threats.” A companion news article in the same newspaper cited Tehan as arguing that “the onus is on telecommunications companies to develop products to stop their customers being infected with viruses.”

I honestly feel like emailing this image to the particular Minister spouting this tirade:

YDMF.png

With all the Ai shit about. I though for a moment it was "Lawnmower" as in lawnmower man.

Yeah, no. I don't want my ISP deciding what I'm allowed to get. I can decide that for myself. ISPs might offer this as a service, and get paid for it, as long as you can choose to not buy it.

Some ISPs here already do a reactive method. With Cox, they'll inject a popup to your browser that says there's "suspicious activity coming from your network." and recommend a virus scan.

I already have those dudes from "Windows" that call me every now and then to inform me my computer has a virus and they can help. I don't need my ISP getting in their way.
This is really a bad idea - basically, just block off any site that someone (who??) determines is not legit. Maybe you start off with thepiratebay or other sites. What if you later decide something like foxnews is bad?

sounds just as stupid as the law to inform people about cookies. so now i have to click an extra ok on every site i visit.

if an ISP decides to do something as a value added service, im ok with that.... because they will either do it well and be rewarded with more business, or do it poorly and everyone will be screaming at them to fix it.

with government mandates, there is no incentive to do it WELL.... just the requirement to DO IT. that never ends well for anyone involved at all.

There is very limited merit here. This is akin to asking the roads department to help with criminals who drive on their roads.

The only real legitimacy here is helping with DOS shit, but I think ISPs already help with that, don't they?

Yeah, no. I don't want my ISP deciding what I'm allowed to get. I can decide that for myself. ISPs might offer this as a service, and get paid for it, as long as you can choose to not buy it.
I would be okay with it, IF it was like google chrome and allowed you to ignore the warnings.

Back