Law Firm Offers to Defend 'Hurt Locker' Sharers

HardOCP News

[H] News
The producers of the Hurt Locker (you know, the group suing everybody) better look out, because the file sharers have a new champion…the White Berbarian!

In Arizona, a law firm called White Berberian recently began advertising on its site that it will defend those accused of illegal file sharing by Dunlap Grubb & Weaver. That is the firm, which also goes by the name U.S. Copyright Group, that is filing lawsuits on behalf of filmmakers who claim their movies were pirated by thousands of peer-to-peer users.

What I don't understand is how these people come up with (and justify???) the monetary numbers and how they can get away with that?

I mean, it's extortion: either pay now at 1500, if you wait too long it'll rise to 2500, or you better watch out! We'll want up to 125K (or 150..) if you drag us to court to expose us for making up arbitrary numbers!

What would I do if I got one of these letters? Send them a cheque (I'm Canadian) for the ticket cost of 1 person going to the movies. Hell, it's more money than they would have made off me if I had gone to the theatre to see it anyway! Think of the profits!

Ya that's the real problem I have with it. I could get a reasonable fine. I mean you shouldn't be copying movies just like you shouldn't speed or litter. However it doesn't really hurt anyone. So a hundred dollar fine as a way of saying "don't do that" seems reasonable. However $1500 with no chance to defend yourself. What the fuck? Then if you do defend yourself you could be on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars?

In no way shape or form is that reasonable or just. I mean you could literally get less if you went and shoplifted the DVD, which by the way DOES hurt the store you steal it from.

This is just extortion.

Since when is $1,500 > Lawyers fee's? What am I missing here? It would be cheaper to just 'op out' than to pay the lawyers fee's and still have the chance of losing and having that mark on your record.

the IP list they've published so far is not the complete list people!!! they've filed suit against 5000 people the list they published is only 10 random IP from each ISP. It says so in their complain they filed June 7 th on page 10 in the bottom header..

"Exhibit C provides the Court with a random sampling of ten (10) IP addresses identified for
Doe Defendants for each Internet Service Provider Plaintiff has identified as providing services
to Doe Defendants that have infringed Plaintiff’s Motion Pictures. Plaintiff specifically requests
leave to conduct discovery on all of the Doe Defendants it has been able to identify to date, as
well as any other infringers that Plaintiff identifies during the course of this litigation, as
Plaintiff’s infringement monitoring efforts are on-going and continuing. Perino Decl., ¶ 13;
Achache Decl., ¶ 18."

Are the times in the ip list when the people were actually downloading the movie? Like the 2 months after oscar season? When it got all of its acclaim?

Since when is $1,500 > Lawyers fee's? What am I missing here? It would be cheaper to just 'op out' than to pay the lawyers fee's and still have the chance of losing and having that mark on your record.

You didn't read the article. And what "record"? This is a civil suit.

Except its legal in Canada.
It is a common misconception (based on a 7-year old case) that it is legal to download but not to upload in Canada, which would leave non-leeching BitTorrent users in the dust anyway. The situation is now far from clear. Wikipedia summarizes it pretty well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sharing_in_Canada

What is less uncertain is that ACTA is coming this year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement
This international agreement has been built behind closed doors and has articles that specifically target online piracy.

I missed that part but it's still not guaranteed. And I did not know a civil suit would not add anything to your record.
While not on a rap sheet, it sure as hell goes onto a record open and search able by any employer or friends.

I also agree they need reasonable fines. People may have deprived them of a $20 BluRay. With 100% interest, a check for $40 should be the max penalty.

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sharing_in_Canada said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_sharing_in_Canada[/URL]]“Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,” Noël St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP"
Well, it says for personal use...

This basically sounds like another trap....a possibly extremely illegal trap.

I'd love to see this backfire on them and have the suit thrown out with prejudice as well as a mass disbarment and charges against the MPAA

Just thinking outloud...
Wouldn't it be cheaper and terminally more effective for all the accused (allegedly 50,000+) to pool their money and hire a hitman to whack Dunlap Grubb & Weaver?
just saying....LOL

Hypothetically, if there were allegedly 50,0000+ people downloading Butt-Hurt Locker as these extortionist and terrorist lawyers are saying, and these extortionists are requesting infringing people to pay them online, DDoS attacks on U.S. Copyright Group would dry up that income source.
Hypothetically of course....just saying.

Except its legal in Canada.

Same in Belgium kinda sucks you have to pay a Piracy fee though. All disk types went up in price from hard drives to flashdrives. In the Dutch part of the EU I guess its now generally accepted that everyone pirates so you just pay a kind of tax now. It's becoming one of those "90% of people pirate and 10% are lying" things.

Hypothetically, if there were allegedly 50,0000+ people downloading Butt-Hurt Locker as these extortionist and terrorist lawyers are saying, and these extortionists are requesting infringing people to pay them online, DDoS attacks on U.S. Copyright Group would dry up that income source.
Hypothetically of course....just saying.

Sounds like a good task for 4Chan but my guess is they might've already had that thought.

I'm thinking about Redboxing this for $1 and leaving approx 20 backups at the redbox location with instructions for everyone else to do the same. If everyone did this, they could loose millions in rental fees and a big F U to the producers and lawyers.

IF HOLLYWOOD ALLOWED A DOWNLOAD AND ONE VIEW OF THE MOVIE FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A TICKET, IT WOULD BE A WIN WIN.

I'm thinking about Redboxing this for $1 and leaving approx 20 backups at the redbox location with instructions for everyone else to do the same. If everyone did this, they could loose millions in rental fees and a big F U to the producers and lawyers.

IF HOLLYWOOD ALLOWED A DOWNLOAD AND ONE VIEW OF THE MOVIE FOR THE SAME PRICE AS A TICKET, IT WOULD BE A WIN WIN.
Why screw over Redbox for providing you with cheap and easy entertainment?

Im thinking of buying the movie and making 1000s of copies and leaving them at every college campus for al my friends to borrow..

Then starting a huge chain mail going back to the office of these terrorist lawyers. Esentailly clogging their mail boxes for years to come with junk mail, catalogs, and chain mail from all over the world Hell I'll even send them copies of my kids drawings.
I figure that 100 various letters a week from everyone I know will suffice. Shit, I might buy the law office some magazine subscriptions Like "High Times" , "Out" and maybe get them on the NAMBLA mailing list....Hehehe..Hello, Chris Hanson?

Then learn to DDoS...nah I leave that one to the pros.

I'd just like everyone and their dog to sue them: get the sue-happy idiots in DC to spend all their resources defending themselves.

I hope the judge throws it out for stupidity.
Damn law firm in Virginia has no jurisdiction over anyone's ISP.

Back